The worse the weather the better the hunting?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

The worse the weather the better the hunting?

Postby kgrant » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:10 pm

So with this stormy weather today I thought id throw this out there. I have always have been curious about this water fowling wives tale. So when have you experience the best hunting? Before a storm during or right after is the worst the weather the better? What is ya'lls thoughts and opinions.
kgrant
hunter

Re: The worse the weather the better the hunting?

Postby blackrock » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:21 pm

You know, that's often true! We had two great days out this weekend, bluebird skies, calm, but we were right out on the lake in a layout boat where all the ducks were. Last week, hunted the river one day, windy, rainy, overcast, ducks flying everywhere. Found the spot, went back the next day after the storm passed and didn't see one in the air! Ducks seem to fly more in windy, rainy or snowy weather. I like those days, even though I object to freezing more than I did when I was younger! Geese have to eat every day, but when it's really nasty, sometimes they leave the lake later in the day.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:56 am

Most of my duck hunting was back in Louisiana eons ago but after hunting last season in Idaho I have noticed some parallels. We hunted a marsh close to Lake Pontchartrain and when the weather was calm the ducks would raft-up on the lake...we'd have some activity at first light then nothing. If the weather was warm and clear we'd always pick-up early. We lived for the cold fronts and for us the nastier the better (except for driving rain). The principle parallel I've seen (and from hunting on the Snake) is that the ducks would indeed raft up in the open water and there is also the added draw for the ducks in the near-by farm fields. However with wind, light rain and dropping temperatures the ducks will move and will generally drop into some calm water lee of the wind (I always adjust the hunting spot according to the weather). With cloud cover there is also the added benefit of not having a sun to look into and to expose you more. For me duck hunting with some raw weather is the ultimate duck experience.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby joesdad » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:06 am

My best hunts have definitely been on windy stormy days. It's funny how your definition of "good weather" changes when you get into duck hunting. I used to moan when the forecast showed storms coming on my days off. . . now I pray for storms!
joesdad
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:53 pm

The first, sometimes second day of stormy weather are best.
If early in the season, the first day of windy, cold precipitation is best, It puts the local birds on the move, but from about mid season on, the second day can be good after a big snow event. It will not only get the birds in your area moving during the event, but that second day may see a large increase of birds moving into the area. We had this very thing happen just last season.
A fair to poor day during the first day of weather, a massive influx of birds the next morning.

But there is that unknown factor as well, something that may happen on a calm afternoon in nice weather.
A factor known only to the birds.

It's not always a crap shoot though.
Bad weather is generally a pretty good pay-off.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:02 pm

I agree with that , with wind and rain ( Fog too ) birds move around , going to and from feeding more often .
I love hunting in this kind of weather , birds bucking the wind or having a hardtime seeing where I'm at but ,
You still have to be on the X to make it happen ! Being prepared to withstand the elements , is the key !
3200 man
hunter

Postby kgrant » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:32 pm

Awesome thanks for the replies all. The best hunting I have found is the evening before and morning of a good Storm Front. It seems to me they just want to be in front of it and find safety and get the heck out of its way but I agree you still need to be on the proverbial X.
kgrant
hunter

Postby Timheff » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:46 pm

I spent hours in the pouring rain just to not see any ducks I hunt in wind clouds ad snow but iv stopped goin out in the rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timheff
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Cloud cover = Field
Sunny = Water

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby swanpig » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:04 pm

I hunted the last cold front passage on Monday and the birds just wouldn't completely commit when the wind was blowing 20-30mph with higher gusts. They didn't flare they'd just fly over about 40 yards. I think it might have been because there was so much movement of the cattails from the wind. Had no problem when the wind was blowing 10-20 mph.
Gettin er done, one duck at a time!
swanpig
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:51 pm

In Idaho it seems I have better decoying when it's bluebird sky or windy. When I lived in Wisconsin I had some of my best hunts were during snow storms featuring big snowflakes. Don't much care for hunting in rain but I do it in case it stops...or the weatherman are lying again.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:24 pm

sun=good
wind=good
sun and wind=great

I hunt no matter the weather, but I have found sunny N NW wind days are usually the best
Rhock19
hunter

Postby swanpig » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Rhock19 wrote:sun=good
wind=good
sun and wind=great

I hunt no matter the weather, but I have found sunny N NW wind days are usually the best

+1
Gettin er done, one duck at a time!
swanpig
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:57 pm

Rhock19 wrote:sun=good
wind=good
sun and wind=great

X2 today is a awesome example Clear/Cold/and breezy=5 drake mallards 2 wigeon in less time than it took me too set up , :thumbsup:
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting