Idaho Living?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Idaho Living?

Postby MThuntr » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Hey guys,
A few positions have opened up in Idaho that I've been kicking the tires and was curious about your thoughts, input, or just about anything on a few locations. I'm not interested in spots or gps coordinates or even a hunt...I can find my own. I'd really be interested in things like that town is full of crazies, the water is toxic, a great brewery there, the fishing could be tough, birds are so thick you'd have to be blind to miss :yes: , maybe some basic about the game if you so choose.

The choice of locations for the first position would be Lewiston, Moscow, Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry, Coeur d'Alene, Plummer, Grangeville, Orofino, or Nezperce
The locations for the second position would be Idaho Falls, Rexburg, Rigby, St. Anthony
The choice of locations for third position are Gooding, Twin Falls, Shoshone

I'd be interested in hearing about some pros and cons about the areas as I've really only spent limited time traveling through the panhandle.

Please Note: I am not from nor have I ever lived in Kalifornia. I'm a Nebraskan living in Montana for the last 10years.

I humbly thank you guys in advanced.
MThuntr
hunter

Re: Idaho Living?

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Your choices do not include Boise.
It gets hot there. There are many people to contend with there. Every opportunity has competition for everything.
Good thing you don't even have to consider it!
Having said that, it's still Idaho, and that's a big plus!

Any of the other choices are all good, by all accounts.
N. Idaho has some great fishing. Big game.
S. Idaho has good fishing and bird hunting. But.............only two hours from Boise :-(
E. Idaho has good fishing, waterfowl, and big game. It also has the coldest winters, and fewest cultural opportunities.
Smallest population, most conservative values. Small town Americana feel to it.

So take your choice. Hard to go wrong anywhere you listed.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Jesse Minish » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:50 am

I live about 20 minutes from Sandpoint. There is awesome fishing here and the big game hunting is good too! Lots of turkey and grouse but I dont know much about the waterfowl hunting as I am just starting to get into it and do not know anyone the bird hunts. Laughing Dog Brewery is good and so is McDuffs :beer:
Jesse Minish
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:03 pm

I have lived in all three corners of the state. Here is my take.

North Idaho is a great place for hunting about anything that you might want to hunt. Grangeville, is very very small and has horrible weather. It has a weather hole, it can be nice every where else, but Grangeville will be cold, wet, an nasty. Nez Perce I believe is on or very close the Reservation, something to Consider. Orofinio is quite nice, very beautiful, good people, right on a great river. Very mountainous. Downside is it is pretty isolated and one of the largest employers is the state mental institution.
From my view Sandpoint, Bonners Ferry, Coeur d'Alene are all about the same (flame on) and are generally great places to live. I don;' know much about Plummer. Lewiston is a blue collar town and is warmer than every other place in North Idaho due to elevation and the river. It is in my opinion a bit run down (like Pocatello). Good people, but it just has a hard time. There is also a big papermill there that spews out some nasty stuff at odd times. Cause some problems for people, and does a number on cars. Moscow is a liberal college town surrounded by conservative farmers. Artsy place. Folks either love it or hate.

Second Position: Eastern Idaho: Idaho Falls, Rexburg, Rigby, St. Anthony, The heart of LDS/Mormon land. If you have a problem with that, stay away. Idaho Falls has the most new construction, though Rexburg has a lot too. Rexburg is tied to BYU-Idaho so its a college town, but not your usual college town. Great trout fishing, and some good waterfowl hunting from what I hear (I lived farther south in Pocatello).

Third Place: Twin Falls is growing. Lots of new buildings, they have a sportsman's warehouse. The river is nice, I have not hunted that way but from what I hear its all about the river or the hidden desert pot holes. The College of Southern Idaho (2 year Junior College is there) and they have a really neat observatory and planetarium. Conservative folks, ranching dominates the economy. Gooding and Shoshone are small ranching towns. Shoshone smaller than Gooding if I recall correctly.

Hope this helps out. If I was free to pick up and choose any of them, I would give a hard look at the Coeur d'Alene area. Easy access to get out anywhere you want in North Idaho. I would also probalby choose Twin Falls over Gooding or Shoshone (Twin is really much bigger and easier to make a living in than either of the other two)m but I would probably choose Rigby in Eastern Idaho from those you identified. Its half way between Rexburg and Idaho Falls, so you get the best of both worlds. Though it is small.

very very small and has horrible weather.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby MThuntr » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:49 pm

This is some excellent information! I really appreciate the help.
MThuntr
hunter

Postby TROB » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:47 am

If you're into meth, twin falls is great. :welcome:

I like it here because it's different than where I'm from, but it can be boring at times. There isn't a whole lot to do socially. I'm pretty mellow and most of the bars/hangout spots are problematic. One of my favorite spots got ruined for me when someone was stabbed to death in a bar fight last year.....hmm...kind of put a sour taste in my mouth.

However, it's better than Shoshone or Gooding. Don't go to either of those. Like someone else said, it would be easier to make a living in twin compared to the other two.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting