how do you eat your ducks

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

how do you eat your ducks

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:24 pm

So if I'm honest, I will admit that I really haven't cared for duck. I love the hunt, but eating is another story. Pretty much what I've always done is make them taste as less duck-like as possible. That is until this weekend. A few months back I was watching Anthony Bourdain and he was preparing duck for some hunters he met. It was super simple. Just breast the duck and leave the skin on. Scour the skin with a sharp knife. Season with salt and pepper. Then just cook the duck in a pan on medium/low heat for about 10 minutes skin side down, then flip it and cook for another 2 minutes or so. Then just slice it thin and eat. So I tried it with many doubts, but it was actually delicious! The one downfall is that the cooking of the duck fat made my kitchen reek pretty bad, so make sure to have plenty of ventilation. However I'm actually a believer now that duck can taste good all by itself.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Re: how do you eat your ducks

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:26 am

I like my duck to taste like roast of beef. Goose too.
Breast of fowl, no skin.
Spice with garlic pepper rub, poultry rub (Old Bay spice works too).
Put in bowl small enough that you nearly have to force meat in, so juices can't flow away from meat. Cover meat with onions.
Cover top of bowl 'tightly' with Aluminum foil three times.
Put in oven at 250* for 5 hours. Comes out very tender and juicy.

I like to serve with candied yams, and dip meat in their juice. Wild and long grain rice mix for other side.
Or....... just dip in Sweet Hot mustard.
Makes excellent cold sandwiches with mayo and mustard as well.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:33 am

I grind it with pork fat and turn it into sausage or just ground duck then use it in anything I would use ground beef for.

The other thing I do is take bite size pieces of breast wrap it with a small piece of bacon and put it on a skewer alternating with chunks of pineapple then barbeque it. As it cooks continuelly brush with teriyaki. If you cook it rare the meet will be super tendor and savory.
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Postby jdinid » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:29 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:So if I'm honest, I will admit that I really haven't cared for duck. I love the hunt, but eating is another story. Pretty much what I've always done is make them taste as less duck-like as possible. That is until this weekend. A few months back I was watching Anthony Bourdain and he was preparing duck for some hunters he met. It was super simple. Just breast the duck and leave the skin on. Scour the skin with a sharp knife. Season with salt and pepper. Then just cook the duck in a pan on medium/low heat for about 10 minutes skin side down, then flip it and cook for another 2 minutes or so. Then just slice it thin and eat. So I tried it with many doubts, but it was actually delicious! The one downfall is that the cooking of the duck fat made my kitchen reek pretty bad, so make sure to have plenty of ventilation. However I'm actually a believer now that duck can taste good all by itself.

That's the classic French preparation. Was it tough, or tender?

Braise it until the meat falls off the bone and toss it with pasta, or serve as a stew. Brine it, smoke it, slice it thin and serve it like prosciutto. Duck gumbo is another good way to go.
jdinid
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Biggest mistake like any other game meat is over cooking it....there is a fine line between ready to eat and over cooked.
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:19 pm

I have while books of recipes for game. A current favorite are duck "nuggets." Chunk the breast, and toss them in a plastic bag filled with flour, salt, pepper, a dash of cayanne pepper, and what other herbs and spices you want. Then deep fry them. My kids love them. Even the one who wont eat meat.

I also like them sliced real thin, and stir fried with a little hosin sauce and then served with a citrus or apricot based sauce. You can mix them in with a vegetable stir fry too with a runnier sauce. Cook the vegetables separate from the meat to preserve the flavor, and then toss together with the sauce and serve while hot.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:35 pm

mtbaughs wrote:Biggest mistake like any other game meat is over cooking it....there is a fine line between ready to eat and over cooked.

If you have to have your meat pink in the middle, then you will have to tread that fine line.
I like 'real slow' cooking. What I have found is that it comes out of the stove tender and juicy, even after long hours of cooking, but one must save the juices in bowl or pan to add to meat later on, after doing slow cooked duck, goose, or pheasant.
The meat stays tender, but wild game tends to dry out if it's juices aren't added back on when reheating as leftovers after a day or two.
Many, many people like to do any red meat no more than medium, and many like it medium rare!
You'd never do chicken or Turkey medium rare, or even medium for that matter. Ducks, geese, and pheasants are fowl as well, even if the meat is red.
I wonder the wisdom of taking the chance of undercooking any fowl.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby duckcomanderJR. » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:06 pm

i marinate mine in apple juice over night then, lather my ducks up with BBQ sauce and wrap it in bacon. then bake them in the oven . so far this is my favorite way to eat my ducks
if they fly they die!!
duckcomanderJR.
hunter

Postby fetch21 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:01 pm

duckhunterguy69 wrote:I grind it with pork fat and turn it into sausage or just ground duck then use it in anything I would use ground beef for.

The other thing I do is take bite size pieces of breast wrap it with a small piece of bacon and put it on a skewer alternating with chunks of pineapple then barbeque it. As it cooks continuelly brush with teriyaki. If you cook it rare the meet will be super tendor and savory.

+1 for the skewers. We do the same thing but also add a slice of jalapeno to ours as well. Great appetizer that is pretty much the favorite in our family these days. I also like to just slice up some breasts and throw them in a brine for 48 hours and then smoke up a batch of jerky. Good way to get rid of a days limit if your freezer is already pretty well stocked, and dang near fool proof as far as making it palatable for those with picky eating habits.

Going to have to try some of these other recipes as well, they sound great.
fetch21
hunter

Postby 12gaoufan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Soak breasts in salt water to remove blood. Marinate in Worcester Sauce an hour or two. Grill over charcoal, about 5 min per side until centers are pink. Sprinkle liberally with Lawry's Seasoned Salt while grilling.
12gaoufan
hunter

Postby Perro Negro » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Boil breast meat in milk for about five minutes. Buttermilk if your heart will let you.
Strain :fingerhead: and rinse the meat, then pull it part into stringy shreds.

The meat can then be used for making tacos, burritos or pulled BBQ duck sandwiches.
Perro Negro
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:32 pm

P1050203.JPG
Always loved eating duck but this comes from growing up in SE Louisiana (me and my 3 sisters literally cut our teeth on Dad's 1947 Vit Glodo duck call). We always roasted them with some home-made dirty rice as stuffing and more for a side-dish. Nowdays I enjoy my Chinese wife's preparations which are varied, my favorite is "Xiamen Duck" (as they cook it in Xiamen, China). This involves placing the whole duck with sliced fresh ginger and onions in a clay pot (a 'shaguo') full of water and cooking the duck on the top of the stove just until the water is gone, the duck turns out flavorful and tender. I have posted a photo of the completed duck (being Chinese she leaves the head and feet on when cleaning and consequently when cooking). And yes, she eats the head - I do not need to.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:04 am

I marinade the breasts in soy sauce, olive oil and liberal amounts of fresh chopped garlic. Then sear on a hot grill so that the middle is med rare. Slice when done and drizzle with a sauce. My current favorites are raspberry chipotle and apricot jalapeno, both available from Costco. All time favorite is a home made peppercorn sauce like you would put on a steak.

I also do chunks of duck breast marinaded in soy, oil and garlic, wrapped in bacon and grilled on the bbq. Then dipped in the above-mentioned sauces. Even folks who don't like duck will love this. It's the bacon.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Perro Negro » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:20 am

Hank Shaw has a lot of tremendous recipes for duck.
My personal favorite is the "Hunter's Sausage"

http://honest-food.net
Perro Negro
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Best Recipe for Duck I have discovered is.... Give it to my secretary. Tasted a lot of duck any many different recipes and even at it's best it's lower on the scale than Beef Liver. Somebody please prove me wrong as I eat everything I shoot, except ducks.
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:13 pm

A big second for Honest-Food.net. There's some great information and recipes there.
jdinid
hunter

Postby attk64 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:53 pm

I turn all of my duck into Jerky, smoked with mesquite chips. I have fed a lot of people the jerky without telling them its duck and they all comment on how delicious it is and they have no idea its duck.
attk64
hunter

Postby crazyquacked » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:18 pm

This on the recipe forum of The Refuge. I have eaten this recipe whenever I get a nice fat duck. Redheads and Cans are good with this too, not just Mallards..... It is awesome. My wife thinks duck is a treat now.....

Duck with Grand Marnier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filet the breasts off a nice fat duck including the plucked skin. Cross hatch just the skin with a sharp knife. Soak in salted water over night. Pat dry and salt and pepper. Cook 1 piece of bacon in a small pan to render the fat over medium low heat.
Remove bacon. (eat bacon as snack ) Add duck skin side down. Cook until browned..rendering the duck fat. Turn the duck and continue cooking. In a small bowl have 1 shot Grand Marnier, 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 Tbsp finely sliced Ginger sticks, pinch of cloves, allspice, cinnamon, clove of crushed garlic. As duck nears doneness put all the above over the duck. Watch for flames. Simmer a minute and remove duck to plate. Reduce sauce. As it starts to brown add some butter (about a Tbsp) and red pepper flakes(taste). Simmer until thickened. Then pour over duck.

You can double, triple recipe, etc..as to # of duck breasts.. Enjoy. Its a A1 recipe for a nice fat puddle duck.
crazyquacked
hunter

Postby crazyquacked » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:20 pm

I often just filet the breast off when i get home, especially Teal. Olive Oil, little Montreal Steak seasoning and hot and Quick on the grill. No more done than medium rare, rare is better........
crazyquacked
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:44 pm

I went over to my parents' house right after my hunt today. I was telling my dad that I wanted to try some new ways to make duck besides just stir fry or over rice.

We took 2 mallards I shot today and made it like fried chicken almost.. Dipped half-breasts into egg and teriyaki sauce, then dipped into store-bought bread crumbs (with salt, pepper, garlic salt mixed in), threw onto a pan with olive oil.. It was scrumptious!
casey_714
State Moderator

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting