Jump Shooting the Boise River

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Jump Shooting the Boise River

Postby jdinid » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi guys! I'm from the PRK, where can I shoot ducks?!? :biggrin: Well, I am from the PRK but I do have Idaho roots that go back four generations. I'm happy to be home.

Anyways, I'm fairly close to the Boise River in Eagle. I'm guessing that the hunters that are currently my morning alarm clock are jump shooting on the river. It's not deep enough to float right now. My question is whether or not there's any problems with doing this? I'm pretty fed up with the lack of upland birds this year, and I'd really like to put something in the freezer.

Thanks!
jdinid
hunter

Re: Jump Shooting the Boise River

Postby IdahoSkies » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Check out Midland Road Access point in Nampa. (south side of the river I believe) That is on the boise, very busy, but it gives you a place to start. Certainly not a honey hole, but worth looking at in your neck of the woods. Pick up a Idaho Atlas at a gas station or Sportsman's and check out where the sportsman's access points are near you. Should give you a good place to start.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby jdinid » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:16 pm

IdahoSkies wrote:Check out Midland Road Access point in Nampa. (south side of the river I believe) That is on the boise, very busy, but it gives you a place to start. Certainly not a honey hole, but worth looking at in your neck of the woods. Pick up a Idaho Atlas at a gas station or Sportsman's and check out where the sportsman's access points are near you. Should give you a good place to start.

Thanks for the reply! The hunter's I'm hearing are either accessing the river on Eagle Road or in Eagle Island State Park. I've picked up plenty of shells while fly fishing that section. Whoever it was knocked the heck out of them on Saturday. That or they shoot as poorly as I do. :)
jdinid
hunter

Postby fetch21 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:49 pm

Never seen anyone access from Eagle Rd. Have seen plenty park at Linder and walk up though, there is a well used blind about a half mile above the bridge, which would be up in the Eagle Island area that you mentioned. Also quite a few great looking stretches further up. I've just seen them when fishing and thought they look like prime spots for a good spread. Gotta be careful in that area though, there are quite a few houses hidden in the trees around that stretch and you can pretty easily find yourself close to someone's house without knowing it.

I don't know what the boundary is because I don't hunt in that area, but I'd check the regs before you start shooting too close to Eagle Road.
fetch21
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting