Will Otters Chase Ducks?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Will Otters Chase Ducks?

Postby waveslider » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience: I was out hunting today, dozing in the tules actually, and across the water there was a large raft of coots. All of a sudden, the coots were getting excited and they would "run" one way, then the other, and then another group would get excited and run around. Almost like something was swimming under them or something.

I've seen them make a run for it when a bald eagle comes around, or when a person walks along the shoreline but this was different. It was like they were doing their own version of the "wave". The whole group wouldn't get fired up and run off, just little groups one at a time.

I could only guess that something was swimming around or under them, like maybe a mink or an otter?

Has anyone else seen this? I can't imagine that something like a carp or a pikeminnow would get them all fired up like that, too shallow for sturgeon.

Any ideas?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Re: Will Otters Chase Ducks?

Postby fetch21 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:58 am

Monster brown trout maybe? Coots are dumb enough that a big carp swimming under them could spook them too I suppose.

More importantly, how did your mid week hunt turn out? Looks like another weather system is predicted to set in just in time to get things going for the weekend.
fetch21
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:20 am

Yeah, this wasn't really monster brown trout territory, and if it was a smallie it was the state record and I missed an opportunity.

It just seemed weird watching it from a distance. And I've watched a lot of coots in my day!

Hunts are definitely picking up. Northern birds appear to be moving in.
waveslider
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:12 pm

I have a buddy who now lives over by Kalispell who lost his dog to otters this summer. He was swimming at his favorite lake, and was attacked by a pack of them. My friend swam out to save his dog, but the otters started going after him. They tore the pup up really bad and drownes him.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Abomb » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:56 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:I have a buddy who now lives over by Kalispell who lost his dog to otters this summer. He was swimming at his favorite lake, and was attacked by a pack of them. My friend swam out to save his dog, but the otters started going after him. They tore the pup up really bad and drownes him.

That sucks. I would be an Otter killing **** after that.
Abomb
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:16 pm

JJ, That sucks about your friends dog. It is well known to me that Otters are some seriously mean critters. They are like the MMA fighters of the animal world: small, compact, insanely strong for their size and just a little mean spirited. I've seen what beavers look like after tangling with Otters and it's not pretty. Especially in the summer when they have younguns

However, my particular mystery is solved. I ended up hunting in the area that I saw the coots the other day and there is an immature GHO that swoops down from a nearby tree and just skims the water trying to pluck the coots out. I was too far away to see it the other day. I guess he's looking for an easy meal but the coots are wise to it.
waveslider
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:58 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:I have a buddy who now lives over by Kalispell who lost his dog to otters this summer. He was swimming at his favorite lake, and was attacked by a pack of them. My friend swam out to save his dog, but the otters started going after him. They tore the pup up really bad and drownes him.

Yikes.

What lake?
wingnutty
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:23 pm

waveslider wrote:However, my particular mystery is solved. I ended up hunting in the area that I saw the coots the other day and there is an immature GHO that swoops down from a nearby tree and just skims the water trying to pluck the coots out. I was too far away to see it the other day. I guess he's looking for an easy meal but the coots are wise to it.

The Hell is a GHO?
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:54 pm

FlyFishingFreak wrote:
waveslider wrote:However, my particular mystery is solved. I ended up hunting in the area that I saw the coots the other day and there is an immature GHO that swoops down from a nearby tree and just skims the water trying to pluck the coots out. I was too far away to see it the other day. I guess he's looking for an easy meal but the coots are wise to it.

The Hell is a GHO?

My guess would be Great Horned Owl.
jdinid
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:18 pm

jdinid wrote:
FlyFishingFreak wrote:

The Hell is a GHO?

My guess would be Great Horned Owl.

This
waveslider
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Yes. While fly fishing one time an otter happened to surface right near me. He was as startled as I was and dropped the baby wood duck he had in his mouth. After a second or two he reappeared, grabbed the dead duck and dove.

I think like most animals, otters are opportunistic.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting