A fine little storm

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

A fine little storm

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:45 am

First good, bonafide Winter type storm this morning.
Dark, heavy clouds hanging low over the valley. Windy. A constant, fine snow coming down now, and maybe an inch and a half on the cars, rooftops, lawns, and fields.
It isn't sticking to the roads just yet, but they are very wet, melting snow is filling every small pothole with water, and the tires are hissing as they track thru the melting snow and water.
A scene this morning to excite the first real bit of Christmas spirit that the stores have been trying to do for a month already.

It's Saturday, and Jake and I aren't hunting today. At least not yet!
If the wind should die, we may go out later. Right now I'm enjoying the warmth inside, and a cup of coffee with just a dash of Bailey's in it.
Jake is pacing circles in his kennel thinking "What the heck! It's snowing! There are ducks and pheasants to be had. What's he thinking?" I'm trying to ignore his little telepathic signals, but it's weighing heavily on my conscience.
Best to numb that with another splash of Bailey's!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: A fine little storm

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Fireball warms the body nicely too!!

I am with Jake on this one, get out there.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Well,
We did. Knocked down one rooster.
Last one I'll get in that general area tho. The landowner I had permission to hunt from has just leased the hunting rights out to all of his properties.
The cancer is spreading faster than I realized.
This landowner always let folks hunt his properties who were courteous enough to ask him for permission.
I'm sure the fellow who offered him money had also hunted it, but such folk can't stand the idea of sharing with others, which he certainly could have gone on doing, but now a great many of us will be squeezed into even less space until those spaces have fallen into the hands of the selfish as well.
Glad I kept my jet boat. Lots of public ground left for the time being. Field hunting will be gone in five years for most.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:50 pm

A decent sized flight of geese cruised over the house this morning. Good sign.

Trying to find a decent field that hasn't become private property and marked "No Trespassing" every 50' is getting pretty tough.
jdinid
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:07 am

FSbirdhouse, is this in the Treasure Valley that the landowner has leased all of his properties?
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 am

No,
Eastern Idaho.
I have no particulars about the person leasing the property.
There must be a chunk of money involved, as the farmer has much land, and said the lease involved it all.
I don't blame the farmer for leasing, maybe not even the individual leasing it. It's just frustrating to see the rot having spread to every corner of the land, and a heritage vanishing from the sport.
The poor man who once was granted the privilage of pursuing the wild game belonging to all, is seeing the best of it disappearing into the hands of the rich.
There's no stopping it now as far as private land goes, but you young guys out there do all you can to keep public lands in the hands of the public.
Protect it, and take care of it. Don't ever let it fall into the hands of the rich through the maneuvers of the politicians.
(Witness the 'Sagebrush rebellion' attempt of a few years ago).
You can count on them to keep trying to get it by any means. It's what they do..... because it's there, and they don't like to share.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting