Retired USAF Looking For Duck & Goose Hunters

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Retired USAF Looking For Duck & Goose Hunters

Postby MHIdahoHunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:42 am

Greetings! Looking for other duck & goose hunters to share the JOY of waterfowl hunting. Longtime Mountain Home resident with a very flexible schedule. Most of my hunting buddies only hunt deer or elk and definitely won't chase birds. I'm pretty well equipped but haven't done too many duck & goose hunts in recent years. It is often VERY hard to find someone to go out -- especially during the week. I LOVE the outdoors but as you guys know, it is SO much more fun when you can share the experience with another hunter. I'm very easy going and won't spend the day whining & complaining. I'm not usually this gabby, but I'm trying to give you guys enough info to make some good contacts.

I'm a good partner. I don't sky bust; I don't give up other folk's favorite spot: I am willing to share on gas expenses, etc.; I'm dependable & on time; and I help with loading & unloading equipment. I'm fairly knowledgeable, but I do NOT know it all. I like to learn from others and respect their rules & procedures -- especially for their spots. Last year I checked out a remote spot at Strike that I remembered from long ago and kicked up 3 groups of Canadian mallards. I plan to go back there soon and establish a blind(s) and plan the best options for spreads. It would be SO much better if I could find someone motivated enough to join me!

I mainly hunt around C.J. Strike and have only hunted the Snake River a couple of times. I've got a ski boat but it would be a last resort as I'm not ready to run the river with it. I've got a fair number of dekes that I'm restringing and watching the Primos DVD to try to brush up on my calls. I'm kind of rusty on my calls, but I know when to "shut up". I'm also getting ready to set up my first "jerk rig". I have been looking for a fairly short "Jon Boat" to stuff in the back of my pickup, but they seem to be very rare around here.

Long ago, I busted quite a few ducks & geese in South Dakota. It has been years since I busted some geese near Jack's Creek, but I would sure like to get into them again. I've only got one goose decoy, but will consider buying more if it will bring some goose meat home. I used to be good calling them, but I'm rusty now so I will limit my calling.

INFO ONLY: I have a female yellow lab who loves to retrieve duck dummies from land or water and loves to hunt upland birds. She stays the right distance as she is workin' the birds and doesn't run off after critters. But unfortunately, before I got her trained for blind retrieves & chillin' in a blind -- she started having seizures about every 2 months. I won't ruin someone else's hunt by bringing her and I won't take her in fast water, but I welcome suggestions on dealing with the problem. If I go out by myself to this quiet shallow spot I found, I would like to show her a good time ... with the thrill of a successful duck hunt! Ginger is resting her head on my thigh -- quite interested in what I'm typing. Again, I won't ruin your day with a semi-trained pup -- but maybe I can learn from some of you.

To get into some prime duck or goose hunting, I'm willing to occasionally travel west as far as the Nampa area or east to Hagerman or maybe the Twins Falls area. But I would really like to firm up several contacts that like to hunt closer to my area.

Send me a PM or e-mail me at bearpaw1951@gmail.com so we can discuss things and swap contact info. The weather is changing and I'm really itchin' to get out on a regular basis to bust some greenheads & honkers! Best wishes to ALL!
MHIdahoHunter
hunter

Re: Retired USAF Looking For Duck & Goose Hunters

Postby dudejcb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 pm

So, did you ever find anyone to show you around? Just curious as I've hunted the areas you mention for years.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby MHIdahoHunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Not yet! I'm not really desperate for someone to show me around. I've been exploring this country for years and do pretty well on the big game. I have taken a number of folks out and helped them get their first deer or elk. I seem to be a bit rusty lately on finding the pheasants, quail, chukars, etc. but that should improve. But I'm ready to really get back into some serious duck & goose hunting. Mainly, I'm looking to connect with folks, who at various times, might be available for sharing a day hunt. Often, when I see the weather forecast and want to plan a hunt -- I can't seem to find anyone available ... especially during the week. Hunting is SO much more fun when sharing the experience with friends!

It's kind of funny, really It seems to be MUCH easier to find ducks & geese than it is to find duck & goose hunters that are willing to include a "new guy" or joining him on his hunt. Guys, I'm not some kind of ogre. I have lots of good friends and a number of deer hunting partners. But NONE of my buddies wants to chase birds and NO ONE is willing to crawl out of a warm bed to hunt ducks & geese in nasty weather. Do you guys need notarized letters of reference from my deer or elk hunting partners? I'm not trying to take over your "Honey Holes' and I'm not looking for a long term commitment. My name is Larry. Let's plan a hunt or two and see how it goes. Or, at least, exchange contact info for the future. It's time to bust some ducks & geese!
MHIdahoHunter
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Hope you find someone soon.. I would be more than willing to take you out hunting, but I'm way up in Sandpoint.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby blackrock » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:20 pm

Hey buddy, I live way over in Pocatello, but if you want to try a hunt over here we've got thousands of ducks and geese! That being said, we do occasionally hunt the Snake River and fields over west of Boise, Marsing to Ontario. We have family over there, good snow geese last spring. I have a jet boat etc. might be interested in trying a hunt at CJ!
blackrock
hunter

Postby MHIdahoHunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:19 am

Thanks, I'll send you a PM with my contact info! Thanks for the gracious invite. After seeing SO many awesome hunting photos from your area last year and this year -- I would REALLY like to join you some day. Of course, I would offer to get you into some birds here, but I haven't exactly unlocked that puzzle yet. But maybe someday I can give you a tour of what is left of our beautiful mountains and consider a quality deer or elk hunt. We would likely find some nice bucks & bulls, but with the wolf packs, drought & recent fires -- hunting has become very unpredictable & challenging.

I got a kick out of your photos of the floating layout boat and your birds. It's intriguing, but I am probably too stiff & sore right now to crawl in & out of one. Cheyenne sure is a nice lookin' yellow lab. Mine is named Ginger.

Someday I also hope to witness what it takes to get snow geese. I would like to have a clue before spending a fortune on decoys. Maybe I could join in or observe for a day during the springtime hunts. As for the jet boat, I hear they are great for hunting in the river near Hagerman and sometimes near Hammett. Good huntin' to ya and keep the photos comin'!
MHIdahoHunter
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:32 pm

image.jpg
Sounds good Larry! Here's one trip over to the west end of Idaho last spring. I think luck is the best thing on snows, we shot a lot of these on one jump. Did get a few to decoy though, but those things are smart. Hoping to get some Specklebellies during the new season, goes almost through February. I don't think it will be too tough to get in to some major Mallards in your area, I see a lot of ducks on the Snake when we drive west. I'll have to haul the boat over there!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Love 2 Takem' » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Hey MH, You and I would almost make a perfect pair, I have a small boat and a pretty good selection of decoys, but am really in need of exploring some solid places to hunt. I would like to have a few good spots that I could rotate depending on weather and all the other conditions that tend to affect water fowling. My son (12) and I are pretty new to hunting and I really want to get him some good experiences. We have had a few good days and are definitely hooked! I just need to get several reliable places to go (we always seem to get beat to the good spots) where we can have decent days most of the time and awesome days once in a while! I would love to explore some new places to hunt with you if you are up for it. Let's swap numbers, PM me and we will work it out on the phone. I am much better at talking than typing. Cheers!
When I hunt I don't feel like I am killing something, I feel like I am keeping something alive.
Love 2 Takem'
hunter

Postby MHIdahoHunter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:02 am

What ever happened to that guy from Mountain Home that was looking for some duck hunting partners?

Well, several of you contacted me and exchanged contact info and ideas for future hunts. It was great finally making contact with some folks with similar interests. But my hunting has been delayed a bit.

I've truly been blessed the last month .... with challenges that have postponed my duck & goose hunting. My dreams of hunting continue, but I have chosen to tend to the medical needs of my extended family. Now, I'm trying to overcome complications from my July shoulder surgery. Think of the equivalent of the "Shoulder Stinger From -ell." I still expect to be able to get out this season, but I need to heal a bit first. I don't want to be a burden to someone else or hamper their hunt.

Keep me in mind for the future guys! Hopefully, there will still be plenty of birds in our area. While I'm recuperating, please keep the photos coming -- I really enjoy them!

Here is a photo of some ducks & geese that I took today on my way back from Miracle Hot Springs. Good huntin' to ya!
MHIdahoHunter
hunter

Postby ANG Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:31 am

Good luck on the healing, MH. If not this season, maybe next year we can join forces. Keep my contact info.
ANG Hunter
Newb

Postby Solus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Im new to Idaho and have been hunting for a few years now. But I dont know where to hunt in Idaho. Ide be willing to drive out towards you if it means finding a new hunting partner. Send me a PM when your shoulder feels better and you want to hunt. Im willing to go out during the week.
Every day is a new adventure
Solus
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting