Aluminum Welder for Flotation Pods?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Aluminum Welder for Flotation Pods?

Postby thebigh20 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:48 pm

Just ordered some beavertail flotation pods for a 17ft. Aluminum flat bottom boat. The stern sits pretty low with a 70hp jet, large gas tank and 4 batteries. I am hoping this will help the boat float more level and plane out faster. Any suggestions on a good aluminum welder in the Treasure Valley with experience installing pods? Grateful for any input or if you have experience installing pods! Thanks and good hunting!
thebigh20
hunter

Re: Aluminum Welder for Flotation Pods?

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:45 am

Not from the Treasure Valley so I can't help you there but be sure you get someone that knows what they are doing. Placement, angle,etc., makes a huge difference in the efficiency of these accessories from what I hear.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby thebigh20 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:12 pm

I have also heard placement etc.. Is very important for the pods to really do there job. I called a local place that actually fabricates and installs pods. He wanted $300 just to weld on the manufactured pods I will provide him. Seemed a little steep to me, but I do believe he would do it right. I was thinking $100 a pod max and was hoping for around $150 total, but you can hope in one hand and fill in the blank.

I am also not sure where the transducer for the depth finder would be mounted? Potentially on the stern just inside the pod but not sure if it would get an accurate reading that close to the jet.

Thoughts???
thebigh20
hunter

Postby Snapshooter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:00 pm

As a certified welder, I would trust the expert. Especially when he has the experience placing the pods. You can save him some time, and garner his appreciation, by beveling the weld fitments with a file and emery cloth polishing the weld surfaces. He will have to clean these areas again because of instant oxidation on aluminum but your efforts will help. As a plus, by trusting his expertise, he will be more amenable to tweeking the placements should you have issues; i.e. he will want to make it work perfectly. In the end the $300 bucks is money well spent.
Snapshooter
hunter

Postby drakz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:50 pm

I have some experiece with welding alum...its a lot tougher than welding steel...like the previous guy said, both surfaces need cleaned up as alum is very stingy...300 bucks is a fair price with cost of supplies and time to do it right...you get what u pay for...
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:05 pm

You might try giving these guys a call

http://www.indiancreeksports.com/

I don't have any first hand experience with them though I did talk with them awhile back about adding a steering console to my jon boat and they seemed some what knowledgeable.
mtbaughs
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting