Snow Goose Advice

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Snow Goose Advice

Postby Love 2 Takem' » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Okay goose hunters, I need some help. Just got access to some corn fields that have historically been good for snow geese. I am mostly a duck hunter and have limited goose hunting experience on land, and none with snows. Anyone have some advice for a new snow goose hunter? Spent several hours on you tube getting the big picture; basically get a butt-load of decoys and some flapping gadgets and be prepared for long days and lots of frustration with moments of extreme jubilation - which is standard for most water fowling anyway right? I would like to know if anyone out there has local experience with these birds and can give me the lowdown before I buy a bunch of stuff I don't need. Thanks!
When I hunt I don't feel like I am killing something, I feel like I am keeping something alive.
Love 2 Takem'
hunter

Re: Snow Goose Advice

Postby attk64 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:48 pm

I traveled to Mound City, Missouri, one year to hunt them. Watched 3 million birds migrate right over the top of us for three days straight, but I know Idaho approved e-caller machines last year and they aren't that expensive compared the mass amounts of decoys they used 1500-2000. Wind socks seemed to work just fine though no need for full bodies decoys. The caller machines would be an great thing to have basically mimics the sound of thousands of snows over five or six speakers spread out throughout your spread. Let me know if you have any extra rm. I have a layout blind and snow covers if we ever get the weather. I would also be willing to kick in on a caller as well.
All of my friends near Lake Lowell don't hunt them they just jump shoot them.
attk64
hunter

Postby duckcomanderJR. » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:49 pm

hunted snow geese on twice. it seemed a lot similar to hunting Canadians. the only differences i saw where is snow geese kind of come into the spread vertically, also with snow geese they are a lot more "chatty" people say you cant over call with snow geese. but if the birds want that field then they'll come right too it.
if they fly they die!!
duckcomanderJR.
hunter

Postby Love 2 Takem' » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks for the advice, I have heard a lot of people say that jump shooting them is the way to go. I really love the rush of having birds land on my spread though, so I really want to try some traditional layouts. Sounds like wearing over whites might be better than using layout blinds, just throw down some burlap to lay on and go old school. I appreciate the advice and look forward to logging what we try and how everything goes. I will keep you informed and if we start having luck I will save a spot for anyone that wants to come. Thanks for the advice.
When I hunt I don't feel like I am killing something, I feel like I am keeping something alive.
Love 2 Takem'
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Grew up in SE Louisiana and besides ducks we had our share of blues and snows, by the hundreds if not thousands. We hunted on Lake Borgne in the mud flats next to areas of 3-corner and needle grass. We used 6-7 dozen shell decoys but with snows you can bundle up almost anything white (like a stuffed pillowcase) and they could care less. Movement is good so I do recommend wind socks. The great thing about hunting down there is after the hunt we would fish off the big boat for redfish and gather wild oysters and fry them up on the boat and make fried oyster po' boys- great times!
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby Love 2 Takem' » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:19 am

Sounds like fun! I keep hearing that movement is important, an article on the chat's home page makes it sound like I should either go big with lots of wind socks, or go small with really high quality full bodies. I wonder if it is a bad idea to mix the two? I mean, would having full bodies next to socks be a bad idea? Anyone heard or experienced anything about mixing dekes?
Love 2 Takem'
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:32 am

We mixed Bigfoot snows with silhouettes last year and it looked good. This year we are adding some Silosocks or similar, to increase depth and numbers. A lot of people say to use the full bodies or most realistic ones where you want them to land, and to help conceal the blinds.
blackrock
hunter

Postby broncodan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:27 am

Speaking of snow geese anybody see the video on yahoo about them in the Park!
Id make my way of to Western Washington to get the snows. I was in Bellingham over Thanksgiving and saw tons in some of the Fields next to I-5.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/geese-tsuna ... 32213.html
broncodan
hunter

Postby Luxuryhunter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:46 am

I've been chasing snow geese hard now for 15 years. WE travel to the Midwest every spring in hopes of burning up a bunch of shells and making memories with my father. Since Idaho gave us a spring season for snows we have been hunting them right here on our own property. We have had great success with at least 500-1000 decoys. We mix sillosocks and full bodies and use Feather Flyers on Flyright rotary machines to create the "movement" the geese need to see. This paired up with the electronic caller was a slam dunk. Killed over 500 in 21 days last spring. I would be glad to show you some of these in person if you wish. Check out www.Fourflyways.com. There are videos on there of our hunts last year right here in Idaho. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck! :thumbsup:
Luxuryhunter
Newb

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting