One of those days

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

One of those days

Postby casey_714 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Does anyone else have those random days where you can't hit the broad side of a barn? I can say I usually do pretty well when it comes to shooting ducks.. But sometimes after I miss an easy shot, it gets in my head and I can't seem to shoot anything!

Today has been pretty slow as it is, so it makes it even worse. I just had 5 drake mallards fly right over my decoys, and I managed 3 misses. Guess it's time to pack up :help:
casey_714
State Moderator

Re: One of those days

Postby duckcomanderJR. » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:06 pm

yes! actually happened to me last weekend. had a group of honkers come in perfect bang! bang! bang!.....nothing and i pretty sure the people off the road watching me were laughing their A*** off
if they fly they die!!
duckcomanderJR.
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:38 pm

I'm basically having to relearn to shoot this season after a shoulder injury 18 months ago. It's been pretty frustrating to say the least. I generally shoot pretty well, but have had to change from shooting an 870 which I've shot for the past 35 to an SBE since I'm unable to cycle the pump gun anymore. I've had to adjust the fit of the gun, which has been the biggest problem and have to develop the strength in my right forearm to do most of the lifting. I'm just thankful I'm able to still shoot at all after missing nearly all of last season.

Lots of "one of those days" come as a result of a lack of confidence or even things as simple as a different amount of clothing. I actually shoot better when I unhook the strap on the right side of my waders. Little things can make a lot of difference from hunt to hunt. There is nothing more puzzling than taking a shot you are sure of and nothing happening.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:45 am

oh you mean like every day I hunt?
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:27 am

woodduck31 wrote: There is nothing more puzzling than taking a shot you are sure of and nothing happening.
That's the truth..

jjohnson_714 wrote:oh you mean like every day I hunt?

Well.. I wouldn't say EVERY day ;)
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby waveslider » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:47 pm

woodduck31 wrote: There is nothing more puzzling than taking a shot you are sure of and nothing happening.

In almost every case, this is a result of lifting your head off the stock to "see" the duck fold. Oftentimes this is more prevalent when you have watched the duck fly towards you from a long way off...... while licking your chops....

However, in your case you might be excused for lifting your head to inspect your handiwork. :)
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Love 2 Takem' » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:13 pm

I think confidence is a big part of it for me. If I have a season in which I shoot very little, or have a lot of slow days, I lose my confidence and start missing easy shots because I am thinking too much about the shot. And missing just makes it worse, then you get into the downward spiral which gets ugly fast. One thing that really helps me get warmed up for duck season is to shoot a ton of doves in September. Dove shooting is more like duck shooting than most upland birds because they are usually coming in rather than going away. We bought a dove Mojo this last season and it was a hoot, we had birds practically landing at our feet - I was looking for a shorter barrel and a more open choke! Shooting over the mojo was like shooting tiny fast moving ducks, highly recommend a good dove season as a warm up.
When I hunt I don't feel like I am killing something, I feel like I am keeping something alive.
Love 2 Takem'
hunter

Postby Snapshooter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Good discussion topic. After bird hunting for almost 50 years, along with trap, skeet, and instructing, I also have a miss here and there. My mistakes are the exact same ones that everyone makes; failing to keep chin on the stock (looking up to see the bird fold), stopping the swing (again, looking to see the bird fall), failing to move feet into shooting stance, and poor gun to shoulder mount. The last two years I have used a tip from another instructor friend; mounting the gun and swinging thru on an imaginary flight path. Vary the flight angle and length of 'flight'. Do this drill 10 or more times before you hunt each day. It is amazing to me how automatic a good tight mount and eye on the bead will become. This little drill will vastly reduce misses, and more importantly, the cripples. Hope this helps.
Snapshooter
hunter

Postby MHIdahoHunter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:18 pm

woodduck31 wrote:
"There is nothing more puzzling than taking a shot you are sure of and nothing happening.
That's the truth."

I'm a bit of a mind reader. It seems clear you are single or have not been married very long. Good shootin' to ya!
MHIdahoHunter
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:51 am

Two of my last three hunts have been very frustrating in this regard. The last hunt over water I scratched out a limit but it took way too long. Would have been nicer to shoot the limit and get off the water to let the birds back in.

Last field hunt I dropped the two birds I shot at on the first shot. So maybe some light at the end of the tunnel.

I do not like the thought of wounding birds only to have them fly away.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:51 am

I agree with Snapshooter...I had read of this shooting technique (sighting through the flight path) in the DU magazine last year and this has helped me a lot. I have also found that as a right-handed shooter pass shooting with the flight path from right to left is easier than left-right. It seems that this is a similar situation as in baseball when a right-handed batter has to hit against a right-handed pitcher. To agree further, I have also found that taking a few practice swings of sighting with the shotgun before actually shooting helps; it only makes sense if you think about it.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:44 pm

HaydenHunter wrote:I do not like the thought of wounding birds only to have them fly away.

I completely agree.. And it has nothing to do with the day's "bag" or numbers.. Just don't want critters to have to suffer more then they have to, and then end up going to waste..

On a brighter note, I shot a lot better today! It was a little bit chilly out there...
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:02 pm

My shooting is a lot like my basketball shooting used to be ... streaky.

When you think about it and add up all the variables involved with decoying ducks close and then cleanly making a double on green heads, it becomes clear why it doesn't happen all the time. Lots can go wrong and it doesn't take much.

Duck hunting, much like fly fishing, can be a very humbling and simultaneously stimulating and it's best to be at ease with laughing at yourself ... along with the dog. Humility is good and it really accentuates the successes.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting