Duck Hunting Forum banner

Flocked Mallard Decoys Mixed with Un-Flocked Advice?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Abomb 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I was inquiring to see if any one uses a mix of flocked and un flocked mallard decoys. I am going to upgrade my decoys here shortly and have been seriously looking at purchasing flocked decoys (they all have pretty darn good sales right now). My concern is that I will be hunting around 3 dozen over-sized decoys and maybe 18 of them would be flocked at this point in time. Will this cause serious problems with the ducks noticing the difference? I do understand I can flock the remaining 18 myself but I just wanted to check with experience first. The second question is are the flocked decoys even necessary?
Thanks in advance for the help.

#7 ·
blackrock said:
Ducks can't tell if some of the heads are flocked. Flocked decoys and pretty paint jobs are to attract hunters!
I beg to differ. I think flocked heads look much more realistic. I have some flocked mallard floaters that just jump out visually and the mallards love to land in them.

I think there are days that shiny decoys kill us...whether they are duck blocks (most of my duck decoys are not flocked) or goose dekes in a sunny day on an open field.

#11 ·
Yeah but make sure you take a good look at the tangle free decoy reviews. They aren't very good. 1/2 of the users are saying that the flocking is bleeding and making the ducks turn pink and they are returning them. I decided to pick up 24 Dakota gear flocked Mallards and 12 fully flocked Higdon oversized decoys, I'll start with that and see where it goes.

#12 ·
attk64 said:
Yeah but make sure you take a good look at the tangle free decoy reviews. They aren't very good. 1/2 of the users are saying that the flocking is bleeding and making the ducks turn pink and they are returning them. I decided to pick up 24 Dakota gear flocked Mallards and 12 fully flocked Higdon oversized decoys, I'll start with that and see where it goes.
I also ordered some flocked Dakota floaters, and they did seem to have better reviews on multiple sites than the Tanglefrees. If anyone is interested in those, they are on sale at RogersSportingGoods.com right now.

My brother has some of the Tanglefrees though, and they're still doing great so far

#13 ·
attk64 said:
2nd year hunting over HH's tanglefree dekes and they look as good as new with no bleeding. First I have heard of the bleeding issue and I have been eyeing these things since HH got his. Also, these are only flocked heads, not full flock. The only reviews I can find on the bleeding issue were 2 on the Cabelas site in regards to the fully flocked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.