Flocked Mallard Decoys Mixed with Un-Flocked Advice?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Flocked Mallard Decoys Mixed with Un-Flocked Advice?

Postby attk64 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:11 am

Hello everyone,
I was inquiring to see if any one uses a mix of flocked and un flocked mallard decoys. I am going to upgrade my decoys here shortly and have been seriously looking at purchasing flocked decoys (they all have pretty darn good sales right now). My concern is that I will be hunting around 3 dozen over-sized decoys and maybe 18 of them would be flocked at this point in time. Will this cause serious problems with the ducks noticing the difference? I do understand I can flock the remaining 18 myself but I just wanted to check with experience first. The second question is are the flocked decoys even necessary?
Thanks in advance for the help.
attk64
hunter

Re: Flocked Mallard Decoys Mixed with Un-Flocked Advice?

Postby whiskerbiscuit » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:56 am

I ran 50/50 yesterday and ducks committed just fine. I also mix them in the fields with no problem at all. With geese though, I wouldn't do it.
whiskerbiscuit
hunter

Postby Abomb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:08 am

Do it every time out. No issues.
Abomb
hunter

Postby Luxuryhunter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:47 am

Ducks are way less observant than geese are. Go ahead and mix away. I just started running Dakota floaters(flocked heads) this season and really like them. Plus with the floating 12 slot bag it's the easiest water spread setup I've ever run.
Luxuryhunter
Newb

Postby attk64 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for the responses that's exactly what I was hoping to hear.
attk64
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:40 am

Ducks can't tell if some of the heads are flocked. Flocked decoys and pretty paint jobs are to attract hunters!
blackrock
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:14 pm

blackrock wrote:Ducks can't tell if some of the heads are flocked. Flocked decoys and pretty paint jobs are to attract hunters!
I beg to differ. I think flocked heads look much more realistic. I have some flocked mallard floaters that just jump out visually and the mallards love to land in them.

I think there are days that shiny decoys kill us...whether they are duck blocks (most of my duck decoys are not flocked) or goose dekes in a sunny day on an open field.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:50 pm

HaydenHunter wrote:
blackrock wrote:Ducks can't tell if some of the heads are flocked. Flocked decoys and pretty paint jobs are to attract hunters!
I beg to differ. I think flocked heads look much more realistic. I have some flocked mallard floaters that just jump out visually and the mallards love to land in them.

I think there are days that shiny decoys kill us...whether they are duck blocks (most of my duck decoys are not flocked) or goose dekes in a sunny day on an open field.

Field being the operative word in that statement......
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Looking at Cabelas bargain cave tonight, there is a great deal on the Tanglefree flocked Migration Mallards. They don't get cheaper than this. You can buy them online and have them delivered to your local Cabelas store for pickup...freight free.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain- ... t105652980
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Abomb » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:35 pm

Damn you HH. CC taking a hit!
Abomb
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:59 pm

Dang it!!! I don't want to spend more money on stupid ducks!!!

And they have free shipping right now!
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby attk64 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Yeah but make sure you take a good look at the tangle free decoy reviews. They aren't very good. 1/2 of the users are saying that the flocking is bleeding and making the ducks turn pink and they are returning them. I decided to pick up 24 Dakota gear flocked Mallards and 12 fully flocked Higdon oversized decoys, I'll start with that and see where it goes.
attk64
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:08 pm

attk64 wrote:Yeah but make sure you take a good look at the tangle free decoy reviews. They aren't very good. 1/2 of the users are saying that the flocking is bleeding and making the ducks turn pink and they are returning them. I decided to pick up 24 Dakota gear flocked Mallards and 12 fully flocked Higdon oversized decoys, I'll start with that and see where it goes.

I also ordered some flocked Dakota floaters, and they did seem to have better reviews on multiple sites than the Tanglefrees. If anyone is interested in those, they are on sale at RogersSportingGoods.com right now.

My brother has some of the Tanglefrees though, and they're still doing great so far
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Abomb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:09 pm

attk64 wrote:Yeah but make sure you take a good look at the tangle free decoy reviews. They aren't very good. 1/2 of the users are saying that the flocking is bleeding and making the ducks turn pink and they are returning them. I decided to pick up 24 Dakota gear flocked Mallards and 12 fully flocked Higdon oversized decoys, I'll start with that and see where it goes.

2nd year hunting over HH's tanglefree dekes and they look as good as new with no bleeding. First I have heard of the bleeding issue and I have been eyeing these things since HH got his. Also, these are only flocked heads, not full flock. The only reviews I can find on the bleeding issue were 2 on the Cabelas site in regards to the fully flocked.
Abomb
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting