need some thoughts and advice on a go devil surface drive

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

need some thoughts and advice on a go devil surface drive

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:24 pm

So out of the blue a 16 X 60 go devil surface drive shows up at my work parked outside..ive been wanting a boat...i beat around the bush and found out my boss is rebuilding the outboard on it for a buddy and its for sale...its in decent shape but its gotten good use...some cracks here and there...got a nice trailer...heard whoever is selling it would take 2200...u can buy a brand new modern one today with 1 year warranty for 4500 but im not sure if the trailer is included in that price....also shipping would be a lot since they come from louisiana...

Any thoughts on these and what a fair price is? Im thinking 1800....hmmm...
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Re: need some thoughts and advice on a go devil surface driv

Postby waveslider » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:31 pm

If its several years old, you better hope they throw in a pair of earplugs with the sale. They are louder than an airboat usually. Although the recent model years are a lot quieter. We had one go by the other day and it was quieter than my Yamaha 4 stroke!

$1800 is a good price, especially since its right here and now. Delivery hurts on them. I ended up not getting one because not having reverse is kind of a PITA.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:27 pm

No reverse? Hmmmm....the guy that is selling it is here...he wants it gone...
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:17 pm

If you can get the boat, motor and trailer for $1,800 I don't see how you can go too wrong if it runs good or is being rebuilt. You can't buy much else for that much. Limited use in Idaho though, at least where I go. I almost bought a new Excel Mudbuddy set up this year, but it was 22k. Then I talked to a lot of guys that had sold them and went back to a jet. I flipped direction and bought an 1860 jet boat for 14k. Surface drives and long tails don't do well on gravel bottoms or hard mud bottoms. It'd get you hunting though! Can't touch a decent jet boat for that...... Let us know how it works out.
blackrock
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Sounds like he inherited it and doesnt know much about it, he just wants it gone...i smell a steal coming my way... :grooving:

He is a bossman at work and ill be working for him this january..
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:35 pm

I have some spots that a boat like this would be perfect for...
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:36 pm

I would by the set up for 1800... and sell the engine for 1000 and put that toward a Gator-tail surface drive (has reverse). It will work well with that boat.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:38 pm

I bet i can get it for 1200 or even a grand...
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Merry Christmas to you! Buy it man.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Go Devils are made primarily for water (and somewhat shallow water) and mud with lots of weeds/lily pads, all of which are common in Louisiana. I would agree with blackrock, gravel will not be kind to them - however it should work well for getting through those pesky underwater weeds on the Snake.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby rweb » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:25 pm

for $1200 or even $1800 if you are not interested i would be. that is a steal for a surface drive and boat. what horsepower is the motor? brand new mudbuddy surface drive will run between 5k-10k depending on the amount of "work" you have done on it. i bought mine for about 4k 4 years ago. it is an 07 35 horse so it wasn't new but still was in great shape. one thing that has been mentioned is rocky/sandy bottom rivers are not nice to your prop but a good rock gaurd can save you tons. also remember that these motors are built down south and the performance that everyone brags about isn't always the same here in idaho. a rule of thumb that i was told was every 1000 feet in elavation you loose 1 horsepower. so a 35 horse runs more like a 30 horse. the boat would be great for mudlake or the north fork of the snake, it will run down more towards blackfoot as well but don't expect to zoom past anyone to your favorite spot. 16x60 would be really stable though to hunt 2 or 3 guys or to take the kids without having to worry about much. good luck on the purchase!
rweb
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Older GoDevil boats have waterlogged flotation foam in the floor that is heavy bog them down. You can drill out the rivets holding the floor down, rip up the floor, call GoDevil and get some replacement foam. Then put the floor back down.

I am not sure whether GoDevil boats have ribs or are longitudinally braced like a true mud motor boat. Look on the bottom. If it looks like a washboard because it has been beat on rocks, stumps or logs stay away. Otherwise, the hull is probably ok.

Are you saying that this hull has a GoDevil surface drive motor on it (versus the old school longtail)? If so and if the motor isn't beat to hell that is a great deal. What is the HP of the motor? If it is 23 HP and not a 35 HP you will be under-powered.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby drakz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Im not sure on the hp...im going to look at it closer tomorrow...all i know is its a flat bottom boat with a surface motor..it looks like its all original go devil parts and pretty plain as far as acceseries...the plan for this fella was to have my boss fix her up and sell it..he didnt know i was a waterfowler and looking for a boat...also my work is a shop as were mechanics and can weld alum, fix motor, wire lights, new paint and all that crap....so its like it crossed paths with me for a reason...
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Sounds like its time to give it a name.....
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:43 pm

For the record, horsepower reduction for altitude is 3% per 1,000 feet of altitude above sea level. Significant power loss is not readily evident until you get past the 3,000 foot elevation. The elevation of the Snake River at Walter's Ferry is 2,264 feet so your 35 HP engine will net about 32.6 HP. Jetting the carburetor for altitude is generally not needed (or available) below the 5,000 ft range (this depends on the engine manufacturer).
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby rweb » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:01 am

good fact to know about the altitude. livin in teton valley at 6200' i know there is a difference. also go devil boats have to long. braces in them. imo best kind of boat to buy is one with this style of bracing. much more stable and will not ripple or dent as easy on the bottom. the go devil boat that i have had a bench/storage in the middle and i was able to remove it without losing any strenght to the boat as well. i will second the water logged flotation i had over 300 pounds of flotation that i took out of my boat. sounds more and more though like you have come across a once in a lifetime deal. jump on it.
rweb
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:25 pm

I have a 1656 go devil boat love it its kinda a tank but its a fun boat and the first thing i would do is take out the foam and replace it likr rweb said you will shed some pounds on it mine was like 200 pounds
mojo coot
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting