is that it??

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

is that it??

Postby Take em boys » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Cant help but notice the 99% of the waters rock solid and only about 10 geese left is that the season or what???? I sure hope not :mad:
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Re: is that it??

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:23 pm

I've been in Idaho since the late 90s. I heard stories about it sometimes being game over by Thanksgiving due to ice up. I always thought that the people telling those stories were less hardcore than me and my buddies and just didn't want to fight the ice and snow to get to the birds.

This is beginning to feel like the year where the story finally catches up with reality. Water locking up fast, abundant birds of two weeks ago bugged out and possibly new birds from Canada overflying us. I hope I am not right.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Shootin' Lead » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:50 pm

We're coming into a warming trend starting this weekend... Temperatures next week are supposed to climb into the 40's, with
low temperatures right around 30 degrees... There should be ducks-a-plenty
NRA - Life Member CRPA - Life Member
CWA - Annual Member DU - Annual Member
DW - Annual Member GOA - Annual Member
SAS - Annual Member
Shootin' Lead
hunter

Postby GID » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:36 pm

I like the deep freeze (with in reason). It concentrates the waterfowl to the snake river. It has to get really, really, cold to ice up the south fork where I hunt late in the year.
GID
Newb

Postby Duckassassin001! » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Hay dumb utah guy question how long does the river stay open up on the snake river near black foot area and is it worth coming up there to try it out and can you get a boat in pretty easy if it is open sorry for the dumb utah guy questions just never been up there but would like to try it out one day if its worth the trip
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby shotgunjim » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:57 am

Hey dumb utah guy, with that last deep cold spel the river's froze. All the fields have been plowed under, no feed for birds so no birds around. No public boat ramps anywhere in the area. You have to access the river and launch boats on private property and the land owners don't let anyone but friends and family in. So basically, not worth the trip.

A good friend of mine from Utah called me yesterday and told me that there were 1000's of birds and they were whack'em on the Bear river near Logan. Might want to try there. Good luck.
shotgunjim
hunter

Postby Duckassassin001! » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:11 am

Shotgunjim thanks for the info you saved me a big headache and some money thanks for your help maybe next year we can make a trip that will be worth the time I hear its a great spot and know a few farmers up there along the river so maybe it will workout next time thanks again
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting