Hunting Reports

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Hunting Reports

Postby Snapshooter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:39 pm

I was wondering how others were doing. I'd reason that with the new snow and cold that the Boise and Snake hunters are doing good on the birds. The last two days for me on the Snake near Melba have been great...limits by 9 am. Lots of ducks on the river and few hunters out. Last night I talked to a friend that hunts the Payette and he hadn't seen many birds. Interesting. I wonder if given the snow if these new birds are already starting to move out? To Strike? Lake Lowell is 90 percent frozen and that seems to push the ducks to the rivers. What have you guys observed? Is this the best of the migration?
Snapshooter
hunter

Re: Hunting Reports

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:22 pm

I hunt the Snake downstream of Walter's Ferry, I've seen lots of birds but I have not had much of chance to get at them and that is because of the change in my hunting schedule which consists almost primarily of Saturday hunts only (with only a couple of Sundays). Despite that I am a little ahead of last year's count but have yet to limit (did not limit last year until Dec 29 and then several times after). Back to the question, in that stretch of the Snake I have seen tons of birds and more geese which appear to be dropping altitude somewhat. On the way back in early yesterday afternoon I flushed some off the water which was a change.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Ducks fed yesterday and most of the southern area got over 4 inches of snow. They will be gone by Wednesday if the snow doesn't burn off (and its unlikely that it will).
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby fetch21 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:39 am

Hunted smaller water both days this weekend. Couple quick limits on Saturday and saw as many puddle ducks as I've seen in one day this entire season. Scouted a different part of the valley that afternoon and saw huge numbers of birds as well. Also saw and heard a lot of other guys both in the AM and PM. Sunday was a different story. Saw maybe 1/4 the number of birds as the day before. Very different weather from Sat to Sun so that probably played a part in the change, but also thinking the birds got blasted off pretty bad on Saturday and moved around a bit trying to find safety.

Hopefully enough water/feed stays open and available that we don't lose this new wave of birds.
fetch21
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:08 pm

I agree with fetch21. There were birds everywhere on Saturday. Shot this limit in under an hour and could have easily limited out in 30 minutes had I been willing to shoot anything that dropped into the spread. Big groups of ducks and they committed really hard when they locked in. Best hunt in a few years by far, but I am fearful that by Wednesday they will be gone in big numbers. First Drake Canvasback in 26 years of duck hunting. Think he might get stuffed.
Attachments
1497805_10202000141119423_1674329919_n.jpg
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:07 pm

They are gone....bummer
waveslider
hunter

Postby Abomb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:11 pm

waveslider wrote:They are gone....bummer

They were up here in great numbers, just smashed the greenheads yesterday. Today was a diff. story, shot just a few and hardly saw any in the air. Hope a new batch comes in, in the next few days.
Abomb
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Abomb wrote:

They were up here in great numbers, just smashed the greenheads yesterday. Today was a diff. story, shot just a few and hardly saw any in the air. Hope a new batch comes in, in the next few days.

Based on the weather reports from Calgary/Alberta over the last 2 weeks, you guys might be in a pinch for the rest of the season. Hopefully we will get another wave. There was unprecedented numbers here last week until the snow/freeze. I'm afraid the big push is over. January tactics have come early.....
waveslider
hunter

Postby Abomb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:46 pm

waveslider wrote:
Abomb wrote:

Based on the weather reports from Calgary/Alberta over the last 2 weeks, you guys might be in a pinch for the rest of the season. Hopefully we will get another wave. There was unprecedented numbers here last week until the snow/freeze. I'm afraid the big push is over. January tactics have come early.....

Yeah, I keep a sharp eye up there. Weird thing is that we have been neck deep in Mallards this year and have yet to see the big swarms of Wigeon. Not complaining but I am hoping the Wigeon did not overfly us and are hole up somewhere north still. Nothing like swarms of 200+ wigeon buzzing your spread just waiting till the majority peal away to kill the stragglers and not educate the masses. Ahhh, good times!
Abomb
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:05 pm

I live in st maries, There is not an open body of water in miles around here Havent seen a duck in a few weeks started ice fishing today :(
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:44 pm

I havnt seen a push this direction yet. A lot of geese have shown up over the last few days. but no ducks.
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:51 am

Take em boys wrote:I live in st maries, There is not an open body of water in miles around here Havent seen a duck in a few weeks started ice fishing today :(
Still ducks and open water but you have to go to the big water to find them.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Abomb » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 am

Justin300mag wrote:I havnt seen a push this direction yet. A lot of geese have shown up over the last few days. but no ducks.

What direction would that be?
Abomb
hunter

Postby jdinid » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Wow. 300+ honkers just flew over our house in Eagle.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Odin2010 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:38 pm

Good numbers of Widgen and Mallards near the snake and boise river. I limited and the hunters I was with ran out of ammo. Great hunting, horrible shooting.
Odin2010
Newb

Postby waveslider » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:15 am

Come on, just a few more views and we will reach 1,000........ :fingerhead:
waveslider
hunter

Postby fetch21 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:45 am

waveslider wrote:Come on, just a few more views and we will reach 1,000........ :fingerhead:

That's why you keep it very general... and also throw in the occasional false report.
fetch21
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:37 pm

And people wonder why we get upset when they post our spots on here saying they did great..
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Abomb » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:12 pm

waveslider wrote:Come on, just a few more views and we will reach 1,000........ :fingerhead:

Just a little mining going on. :yes:
Abomb
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:12 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:And people wonder why we get upset when they post our spots on here saying they did great..

But I DID do awesome at your spot. Just yesterday in fact...... (I'm just hoping that more response activity will push the views of this thread to the top of this year....)
waveslider
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Abomb wrote:
Justin300mag wrote:I havnt seen a push this direction yet. A lot of geese have shown up over the last few days. but no ducks.

What direction would that be?

Idaho Falls
Justin300mag
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting