Anybody got a Jerky Shooter?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Anybody got a Jerky Shooter?

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:41 pm

Does anybody up in the panhandle have a jerky setup I could borrow? I would like to try making some, but want to see if I like it before buying a shooter and some racks.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Re: Anybody got a Jerky Shooter?

Postby Abomb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:50 pm

I had one but I am not a fan so gave it away. I don't like the ground up jerky as much as just strips of meat. The trick with them is to make sure your meat mix is moist so it comes out nice and smooth.
Abomb
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Yeah I have tried the strips, but I just never could make it taste good. I tried a guy's who made it with the shooter though and it was pretty amazing so I thought I'd give it a try. Plus I have been wanting a reason to use our KitchenAid grinder attachment
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby LEOJR73 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:35 pm

I have one. I will never make jerky strips again, I like the ground style best. If u get one. After u let the meat marinade over night. Let the meat get to room temp moisten your hands with water, roll the meat into round balls and drop into cylinder. Works great. We have the set up from hi mountain came with seasoning gun two nozzles and a wire rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In duck hunting, there's world champion duck callers and world champion duck killers - I'm a duck killer!
LEOJR73
hunter

Postby krazyduckkracker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:57 pm

jjohnson_714 I have a jerky gun and 2 racks you are welcome to borrow them if you want
krazyduckkracker
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:54 am

JJ,
We have been considering buying one as well now that we have a good smoker. If you get a chance to try making it with a shooter, will you report on your findings? I Know a lot of people are experts already, I'm curious how a "newbie" makes out.

Thanks
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:29 am

Good thread. I have a jerky shooter and really don't like it but the wife does. She has weak teeth and can't do the regular jerky I make.
Using the smoker to dry the strips sounds like a fantastic idea.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby dukkhnter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:56 pm

I used to use a jerky shooter, but it is just a pain to clean up. Just mix the meat like you would for the shooter and then flatten with a rolling pin between two sheets of wax paper. You can then take a butter knife and just cut it into strips. The strips peel off the paper easy(if they are sticking just spray them with Pam really lightly). Helps if you keep a wet paper towel to keep wiping the knife off when you cut. This seems to be a lot faster and less messy than the shooter. You can use the same waxpaper multiple times too.
dukkhnter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:39 pm

krazyduckkracker wrote:jjohnson_714 I have a jerky gun and 2 racks you are welcome to borrow them if you want

That would be great! I'll send you a pm after work
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting