Anybody got a Jerky Shooter?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Anybody got a Jerky Shooter?

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:41 pm

Does anybody up in the panhandle have a jerky setup I could borrow? I would like to try making some, but want to see if I like it before buying a shooter and some racks.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Re: Anybody got a Jerky Shooter?

Postby Abomb » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:50 pm

I had one but I am not a fan so gave it away. I don't like the ground up jerky as much as just strips of meat. The trick with them is to make sure your meat mix is moist so it comes out nice and smooth.
Abomb
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Yeah I have tried the strips, but I just never could make it taste good. I tried a guy's who made it with the shooter though and it was pretty amazing so I thought I'd give it a try. Plus I have been wanting a reason to use our KitchenAid grinder attachment
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby LEOJR73 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:35 pm

I have one. I will never make jerky strips again, I like the ground style best. If u get one. After u let the meat marinade over night. Let the meat get to room temp moisten your hands with water, roll the meat into round balls and drop into cylinder. Works great. We have the set up from hi mountain came with seasoning gun two nozzles and a wire rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In duck hunting, there's world champion duck callers and world champion duck killers - I'm a duck killer!
LEOJR73
hunter

Postby krazyduckkracker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:57 pm

jjohnson_714 I have a jerky gun and 2 racks you are welcome to borrow them if you want
krazyduckkracker
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:54 am

JJ,
We have been considering buying one as well now that we have a good smoker. If you get a chance to try making it with a shooter, will you report on your findings? I Know a lot of people are experts already, I'm curious how a "newbie" makes out.

Thanks
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:29 am

Good thread. I have a jerky shooter and really don't like it but the wife does. She has weak teeth and can't do the regular jerky I make.
Using the smoker to dry the strips sounds like a fantastic idea.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby dukkhnter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:56 pm

I used to use a jerky shooter, but it is just a pain to clean up. Just mix the meat like you would for the shooter and then flatten with a rolling pin between two sheets of wax paper. You can then take a butter knife and just cut it into strips. The strips peel off the paper easy(if they are sticking just spray them with Pam really lightly). Helps if you keep a wet paper towel to keep wiping the knife off when you cut. This seems to be a lot faster and less messy than the shooter. You can use the same waxpaper multiple times too.
dukkhnter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:39 pm

krazyduckkracker wrote:jjohnson_714 I have a jerky gun and 2 racks you are welcome to borrow them if you want

That would be great! I'll send you a pm after work
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby waveslider » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:59 am

Reviving this thread....

We are prepping for our first batch of jerky (new dehydrator on the way).

Did anyone settle on a seasoning/mixture they like? We are committed to trying the jerky shooter (we have a grinder w the small plate already)

Just wondering if anyone has a special seasoning brand they like.
waveslider
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:03 am

Wave this stuff kicks butt. Follow directions exactly for dosing by weight, but sprinkle on extra black pepper. My son takes pounds of it to school, all gone......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:05 am

I do it in a smoker, I've never tried the dehydrator method.....
blackrock
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:08 am

Excellent. The recipe says Goose. Do you use it for ducks too? That's what I'm after.

We have a smoker also, are there instructions on the package for both smoker and dehydrator? I'm assuming you us a jerky shooter for the recipe?
waveslider
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:12 am

waveslider wrote:Excellent. The recipe says Goose. Do you use it for ducks too? That's what I'm after.

We have a smoker also, are there instructions on the package for both smoker and dehydrator? I'm assuming you us a jerky shooter for the recipe?

Ducks, geese, coots it's all good. After smoking you can't even tell if it's waterfowl or big game. I think there are directions for both, I can check at home. I just do whole meat strips, though my dad gave me a shooter we haven't tried. Made a huge batch last night.....
blackrock
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:20 am

Copy that. Thanks
waveslider
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:57 am

wave,

There is a company called HI-Country out of Lincoln, MT that does a variety of flavors of jerky cures. My hands down fave is their Cracked Pepper and Garlic cure. I have fed my goose jerky to many who can't stand duck and goose meat and haven't found anyone yet that doesn't like it. This is a much better cure than, say, your garden variety teriyaki type flavoring.

Available at Cabelas and generally, other hunting stores with cooking departments.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Excellent. We have a number of recipes that fit the category of "I've fed them to many who claim to not like duck or goose and they love it....."

So that is one of the highest recommendations. I will look them up.
waveslider
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:23 am

HaydenHunter wrote: My hands down fave is their Cracked Pepper and Garlic cure.

Have to second this one, great flavor. I've prepared both ways and don't mind it smoked, but prefer it dehydrated; but to each their own, their both good honestly.

Also Wave, they sale Hi-Country seasoning there at D&B Supply next time you pass through town.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Who's making jerky? Wave? Every couple days around here.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blackrock
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Yeah, my mom and wife are going to tackle it on Friday while Dad and I are out hunting. We already have the recommended seasoning (Hi Country) and we are going to try the ground/shooter style method. We just bought a dehydrator so its all set.

I saw somewhere that one person rolls the ground meat out with a rolling pin and then just cuts the strips. That actually sounds pretty darn easy.

We shall see how it turns out.
waveslider
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:10 pm

Ok, so I'm confused.

When you are making the ground up style. You don't actually mix the flavorings/cure into the meat mixture but rather you make the strips on the trays and just sprinkle the stuff on top of them?

It says your supposed to sprinkle it on top and then wait 24 hrs before you dehydrate it? I guess I'm too used to making summer sausage and stuff where you mix in the flavor.

Do you guys marinate it for 24 hrs? We don't have that kind of fridge space to fit all those trays.

Crap, can't I just skip to the part where I eat it?
waveslider
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting