Mature Canvasback?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Mature Canvasback?

Postby Idahoryden » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:46 pm

In all my years of duck hunting, this is my first Drake Canvasback and one of the last duck species on my list to scratch off. Would like to get it mounted and do realize that a trophy is as valuable as the person who shot it says it is, but I really don't want to put up a duck that isn't a mature bird on the wall. I have very little knowledge of what the difference is between a mature canvasback in full plume and an eclipsed one, but from all the pictures I've seen, it would appear this may be an immature bird. Thoughts to any of you guys that have experience with Cans? The pick isn't the greatest so I can post some better ones later.
Attachments
IMG_20131207_175121.jpg
Idahoryden
hunter

Re: Mature Canvasback?

Postby broadwater » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Not fully feathered bird by any means, and likely a bird of the year. But as you stated, the meaning of a trophy depends on each individual. But any can is a trophy in Idaho. Certainly a hard bird to find.
broadwater
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:02 pm

IdahoR,

The dept of the interior did an exhaustive report in 1992 called "Species, Age and Sex Identification of Ducks Using Wing Plumage".

I have a copy of it and its nearly impossible to find. I don't really care whether or not I'm breaking any copyright laws by posting these pics since it was our tax money that paid for the study in the first place.

The bottom picture is the description of how to age a Canvasback. You have to know your duck parts and wing elements but its pretty easy to look up anything you don't know on google.

The top picture is of a Mature Drake Can Wing. If yours looks simimlar, then you are in business. There are also pics of female and immature male wings. If you want them send me a PM and I'll send you a photo of them as well.

Hope this helps. If you can't read the text, let me know and I'll try again.

WS
Attachments
Canvasback mature drake wing.jpg
canvasback text.jpg
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks guys, I had a feeling it was somewhat immature because the ones I saw online were much whiter in appearance around the back/wings and the black to what contrast was very defined whereas this one blends in a bit. 2nd year in a row I've shot a canvasback, but accidentally pulled the trigger on a hen last year and missed the drake. Shucks.
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:58 pm

I only shot 1 canvasback and that was in Louisiana 43 years ago when I was 17 years old, since then I only saw 1 in flight on one occasion a few years after that one kill. From what I remember a mature bird is fairly white in body plumage, especially on the back (breast is black of course). I would agree with the consensus that you have a young bird. However I also fully agree that any canvasback taken is a big event, I had no idea they were this far West (as I recall they are fairly prominent in the Chesapeake Bay area). I can say this for sure...it is one of the best tasting waterfowl.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:16 pm

I got one about 4 years ago on the second week of the season I think, it's a great trophy for sure, I should have got it mounted...
Matt

Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:26 pm

Matt, your Can looks identical in markings to the one I shot. Maybe rather than accept that we shot immature Drakes we just come to the consensus that we shot a rare Northwest subspecies. That will make an easier pitch to the wife at least for the mount. :beer:
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:55 pm

They are very common on the San Francisco bay, and come there in large numbers.
I believe they are at least common on the Columbia river as well. I have seen them rafted up in 'The Gorge' on numerous occasions.
Pretty easy to spot.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:40 am

Idahoryden wrote:Matt, your Can looks identical in markings to the one I shot. Maybe rather than accept that we shot immature Drakes we just come to the consensus that we shot a rare Northwest subspecies. That will make an easier pitch to the wife at least for the mount. :beer:

For sure.... :beer:
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby MountainGreenhead » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:54 pm

I got this one in Oct and it is by far the whitest can I have shot. Two friends and I got 6 that day (5 were drakes) and all of the other drakes looked just like the one you shot. You might be kicking yourself next season if you get a juvy mounted and shoot a better one. I have found wives just dont understand that we want ALL of them on the wall.
IMG_0681 (640x480).jpg
"No, there's no such thing as dedicated about it. You guys just like to kill stuff."
MountainGreenhead
hunter

Postby duckdogID » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:34 am

You can tell on this guy that he's young. Still a Cool bird and happy he's mounted
Attachments
c duck.jpg
"The meat dont fry if the lead dont fly" "God only gives us so many sunrises. I don't see any need to miss one of 'em."
:sniper:
duckdogID
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting