Swan Falls

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Swan Falls

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Does anybody duck hunt near swan falls dam? I have never heard anyone talk about it but didn't know why? It flows so it shouldn't be froze up? Are there just not many birds down there?
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Re: Swan Falls

Postby fetch21 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:03 pm

I don't personally hunt there much, but yes people do hunt there. You'll get guys with boats and a few walk in's as well. Just like everything else it can be hit or miss. Alot more options down there with a boat than without one. If you don't have a boat you'll almost certainly need a good dog and some common sense as there are areas that make for difficult/dangerous retrieves. But it's the snake, so you'll see birds.
fetch21
hunter

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:23 am

Thank you for the info. Sounds like some scouting is in order for me.
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:52 pm

It's a zoo of people on the weekend. Not a ton of walk in's but typically 5-7 boats go up river, a few less down river but down river you have people out hiking, bird watching etc.
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Is the up river side pretty deep or does it get shallow in spots? Do I need to worried about an outboard with a prop if I try to scout by boat?
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Down near the dam its deep due to the water backing up behind the dam. There's also a dock. If you walk up river there are some ponds / channels though they'll be frozen over this time of year i'm guessing. You can walk up about 1 mile or so. If you are willing to hike up some hills around the bend, even further.

I wouldn't hesitate to put in with a prop. Go during the week if you want to avoid combat hunting though you'll still see a rig or two.
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:16 pm

Combat hunting doesn't sound worth it. Thanks for the heads up.
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Yeah, the prop is fine until you get a little ways up from the dam, then it starts to get bony along the edges, then bony in the middle.

Lots of idiots, even during the week now that Lowell is essentially a no show. I got shot at there last year. I'll pass. Walters Ferry is iced in now also. I'm truly questioning the design of that boat ramp.... kind of stupid.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:29 am

I've run that section of River above the dam many times and I have an outboard and can get 4-5 miles. But, If you don't know that section of the River, do be careful because just like the rest of the Snake, it has some very shallow sections. It gets shallow right there where you run into your first islands/grass patches right around the first bend and the entire south side is very shallow, and you have to stay hugged up to the North Side of the bank. As I would tell anyone, never run the Snake for the first time in the dark. That river has taught me a few lessons and cost me a number of prop reshaping fees over the years.
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:28 am

Sounds like lots of boats down there. It's there spots to walk in and stay away from all the other boaters?
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:32 am

I am sure all the lurkers are really enjoying the roadmap you guys are putting out on this thread.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:57 am

You guys crack me up with your attempts at secrecy......In southern Idaho it's not like there are hidden mazes of waterways. There's one river that goes from the east all the way to the west. All I have to do is look over the bluff once dump the jet boat in and go up or down stream to find any hunting that exists in a given area. It's more about getting up earlier.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:33 am

blackrock wrote:You guys crack me up with your attempts at secrecy......In southern Idaho it's not like there are hidden mazes of waterways. There's one river that goes from the east all the way to the west. All I have to do is look over the bluff once dump the jet boat in and go up or down stream to find any hunting that exists in a given area. It's more about getting up earlier.......
Look man, I am not trying to attack any of you personally, but I wish I had a dollar for everyone who has ever been on this site who said one of the following:
"It's no big deal because I get up earlier"
" The river is big enough for anyone"
Or, my favorite: "I have plenty of spots I can hunt".

Only to regret later being so open with info on the great big old interweb.

336 page views on this thread. Do you think this is all repeat views from the four or five DHC members who are following the thread or do you think, just maybe, that there are legions of people who watch this site for info like this, served up free.

Y'all are being pretty specific with your info here...just sayin'.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:22 pm

Blackrock, you could not be more correct. I love how guys try to hold their secret spots around here like they are something to behold. I can go to any boat ramp throughout the entire treasure valley and hunt both up stream and down and do just fine for ducks. I'm a heck of a lot more worried about peoples safety than I am trying to protect one little patch of grass that I might hunt out of because all I have to do is just push another half mile downstream to find the next one. If you have a boat and you live anywhere near the Snake River, you will have literally a plethora of access to duck hunting habitat. I have no issues sharing feedback with other duck hunters and have never once felt like I own public land like other people around here seem to. You guys just need to relax and enjoy the bounty of such a great state that we live in.
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:37 pm

blackrock wrote:You guys crack me up with your attempts at secrecy......In southern Idaho it's not like there are hidden mazes of waterways. There's one river that goes from the east all the way to the west. All I have to do is look over the bluff once dump the jet boat in and go up or down stream to find any hunting that exists in a given area. It's more about getting up earlier.......

No secrets here. if your secret spot is accessible via public boat ramp within walking distance then it's not so secret anyway but Blackrock the next time you decide to come down here and plop your jet boat in wherever you feel like and run up and down stream can I come watch?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Absolutely. Sometimes I put in the night before and run in the light to scout, or sleep in the boat. No where in my post did I suggest running the Snake sight unseen in the dark. After 25+ years of hunting it I'm wise enough to know that!
Last edited by blackrock on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackrock
hunter

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Hey guys I didn't mean to give away anybody's honey hole by starting this thread but if your honey hole is somewhere as public as swan falls then you probably don't get much honey. I'm just curious about some of these public areas. If it seems worth a try a get out and scout and learn for myself. But if I get info about things like access is dangerous or extremely limited then it's not worth my time. For all the folks doing there general internet scouting good for you. All public land is first come first serve and so as long as your respectful it's all part of hunting getting up way too early. That's why all our wifes think we are nuts.
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Postby fetch21 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:42 pm

duckhunterguy69 wrote:Hey guys I didn't mean to give away anybody's honey hole by starting this thread but if your honey hole is somewhere as public as swan falls then you probably don't get much honey. I'm just curious about some of these public areas. If it seems worth a try a get out and scout and learn for myself. But if I get info about things like access is dangerous or extremely limited then it's not worth my time. For all the folks doing there general internet scouting good for you. All public land is first come first serve and so as long as your respectful it's all part of hunting getting up way too early. That's why all our wifes think we are nuts.

Trust me, telling people that you can duck hunt near Swan Falls is not giving away a honey hole. Anyone who didn't know that already is not the type you have to worry about beating you to the boat ramp, much less beating you to a spot 2 miles up river.
fetch21
hunter

Postby Love 2 Takem' » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:09 pm

I agree, honey hole and Swan Falls should not be used in the same sentence. You could learn more from scouting with google earth than anything anyone has said on this post. I think its cool to give new hunters some basic info about an area, I am sure we can remember someone who did that for us when we were new. Save someone from learning lessons the hard way and maybe prevent someone from getting hurt or worse.
When I hunt I don't feel like I am killing something, I feel like I am keeping something alive.
Love 2 Takem'
hunter

Postby goosepond » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:13 am

Love 2 Takem' wrote:I agree, honey hole and Swan Falls should not be used in the same sentence. You could learn more from scouting with google earth than anything anyone has said on this post. I think its cool to give new hunters some basic info about an area, I am sure we can remember someone who did that for us when we were new. Save someone from learning lessons the hard way and maybe prevent someone from getting hurt or worse.

I have to say, begining information is different than giving out hunting location information even if in generalities. I am totally in 100% agreement with blackrock. Look how many lurkers there are to any thread giving any information out, even the picture post thread. If you dont think people cant put 2 and 2 together and come up with where you hunt, you are crazy. Not only is this site full of complaints this year on issues similar to how guys are hunting unethically, but others relate to waterfowl hunting in Idaho have the same issues. If you dont want people to know where your hunting or what is going on, dont post it on a public website such as these, even that the migration is on. If you dont think people will use that information to get to your area, you really are crazy. I know we all want to help new hunters, but, do it through a PM if you trust them or want to give out your information. This wont stop it all, but, it may slow it down. Just think about what your posting before you hit the enter button on your post. Oh, and for those of you who post up how many birds you have killed during the season, if you dont think the IDFG and the US Fish and Wildlife dont monitor these sites too see how many birds you are taking and to use it against you down the road, think twice. Once its posted, its public and can be used against you in court if your over limit or possession. Ive seen it happen.
goosepond
hunter

Postby Love 2 Takem' » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:54 pm

You are right about the kill lists - just a little too much for me. I am not talking about giving out grid coordinates, I am talking about basic tips and pointers. Let's not down play the benefits of saying things publicly either. Just about every hunter that posts on this site has their head in the right place when it comes to ethical hunting. I have heard some amazing comments from people about what it means to do the right thing, I have also heard some misguided newbies get put in their place. If you think about all of those lurkers out there listening in on conversations, sure they may be learning about some new places to go, but they are also learning a lot about what is acceptable and what is not. Education is the true power of a chat site like this, we have a forum to teach our values and I guarantee you that it is sinking in. I lurked here for a long time when I first started and learned a ton about hunting; learned very little about where to hunt, but most of all I learned about the complexities of waterfowl etiquette. I would be willing to bet that the benefits of this site far out weigh the costs of a few more people on the water. Besides, I don't mind a few more people if they are ethical, one slob hunter has the impact of 20 good waterfowlers in my opinion.
When I hunt I don't feel like I am killing something, I feel like I am keeping something alive.
Love 2 Takem'
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Are there actually people on here that report greater than a total of 7 birds per day of season? they would be reporting over 700 birds by the end of season!
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Take em, your post is spot on and makes the most sense of anything I've read on here. We need to lead by example, do the right thing and teach or help guys, especially kids, when we can. I've been fortunate enough to learn to do the right thing from my dad, and have help from some great guys along the way........
blackrock
hunter

Postby goosepond » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:51 am

Justin300mag wrote:Are there actually people on here that report greater than a total of 7 birds per day of season? they would be reporting over 700 birds by the end of season!

If you look at some of the pics and follow some of the posters, and look at some of the footnotes on some of the posters signatures, yes, some post way over a 3 day possession limit.

And as for lurkers and ppl posting up information what they think is general in nature, several years back, I ran into several trucks pulling trailers filled with decoys from Utah. And when I talked to them, nice as they may have been, they said they got the information from lurking and continually reading posts on the internet. Both this one and anotherone most are familiar with. People may not get permission to use the property you have permission to hunt on, but, they may on the next field, the next field and the next field and one thing leads to another and in the end run, it does affect what and where you hunt.

I am not against posting information or sharing general hunting tips, but, most ppl in general know where most hunt and many others then start to scout where you are at and can and some do ultimately affect your hunting. And many of the issues everyone has complained about, I would be willing to bet, a lot of the "hunters" have viewed this and the other website more than once looking to see where everyone is hunting and if its close to where they live, they will go out to see if they can get into your "secret spot" and hunt it.

I know everyone wont agree with what I am saying and thats all good in discussion, but, it does happen and will continue to happen until we cut back on what is posted as for hunting spots and locations, including picture posts, and that does include pics on your front door step as a lot of ppl already know where generally where you hunt and will eventually figure it out if your killing birds and your not.
goosepond
hunter

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 pm

I just wanted to add that if you eat your birds, then they aren't in your possession. Therefore hard to say people are over their limits unless you know for sure they are over their daily limit.
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting