Field Hunt Question?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Field Hunt Question?

Postby znewc14 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:34 am

I am not used to hunting fields at all but every now and then I get the opportunity to get out on a friend of a friends field.
We set up in a cattle grazing field that isn't used in the winter so there is just grass, no corn, wheat etc. The geese fly into it pretty regularly so that is what we hunt. But we get some bonus ducks because there is a ditch behind us that doesn't freeze in the winter.

I've never seen a duck land in the field like the geese do but they always fly over. Do you guys think a half dozen-dozen full body duck decoys in the field would bring some ducks into the field?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
znewc14
hunter

Re: Field Hunt Question?

Postby Idaho Mike » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:37 am

Robo duck :thumbsup:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:26 am

The full bodies will help of course but numbers are better. We have had luck with several dozen floaters just set out in the field.
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Postby fetch21 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:50 am

From time to time we hunt a very similar sounding field... grass pasture that is used for grazing cattle in the summer. I find that it tends to be better earlier in the season. Once the cold and snow hits it seems like birds prefer the corn, plus the grass is all under 4 inches of snow right now. But when we hunt it we put a few dozen full bodies and a few mojo's out and we have had some great hunts. We're talking groups of over 100 birds setting into 35-40 decoys, pretty fun to see. So it's probably worth a shot if you have birds flying over it.
Like someone else mentioned, the floaters are a good idea too. Harder to do on plain ground, but with the snow you can stick the keels in and keep them upright. just looks like a resting bird. Bigger spreads are better in fields more often than not. If you have the decoys to put out 50-60 birds that's what I'd do.
fetch21
hunter

Postby znewc14 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks for the help guys!

Though I don't have access to that many decoys I'm definitely going throw out 2-3 dozen and a couple robo ducks to see if that does the trick! Hopefully the ducks like it!

Now I just have to be invited to go hunt again :lol3:

I'll let you know how it goes when I go out!
znewc14
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting