First Duck Ever

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

First Duck Ever

Postby Idahoquack » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:09 am

Hey folks!
I would like to start a topic about every ones first duck/goose they shot. I am sure there are many great stories around here!
Here is mine....
I have been waterfowl hunting for just over a week now and I finally shot my first duck!!
It was about thirty minutes before evening shooting ended and boy was I discouraged... I sat in that cold blind for three hours only to have seen a few mile high geese and a couple "over the fence(Private land)" mallards. I had three deeks out and a duck butt that was on a jerk rig mixing up the mud.
Sitting patiently, I feel my cell phone start to buzz in my waders. I turn away from my little spread and start frantically digging for this stupid phone. missed the call. Returning the phone to my waders, I look up.... a BIG ol' fat drake mallard landed in my decoys and was swimming around.. :eek:
I jump up with gun in hand and the mallard jumps as well.. BLAM!!!
There he was. My first duck. :grooving:

Ok fellas! Lets hear the stories!
Idahoquack
Newb

Re: First Duck Ever

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Very foggy morning at Grizzly Island Refuge, California. Sitting next to a pond without decoys.
Bird comes out of the fog. I have brand new 870 3" magnum, never fired.
A snap shot just as it disappeared back into the fog. Heard the splat as it hit the water behind me.
Drake Widgeon.
You never forget the first bird.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby whiskerbiscuit » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Drake redhead.
whiskerbiscuit
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:14 pm

My first hunt was over a rice pond in Northern California. What started as a cloudy, windy and somewhat dark day turned into patches of sunshine breaking through. After watching my buddy kill some birds (I had never hunted anything in my life) I decided to take the plunge and join the ranks of those who harvest wild game. After a few misses, I dropped a beautiful and colorful bird with green on it. It lay upside down in the water, it's orange legs sticking up. "It's a mallard!", I shouted at my buddy. He had a funny grin on his face when he said "yeah (chuckle chuckle) go get your mallard".

It was in fact a nicely plumed drake spoonie.
Last edited by HaydenHunter on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:16 pm

Neighbor took me hunting when I was 13. a flock of about 30 mallards came right into the deeks and I flock shot and dropped a hen mallard.
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:52 pm

1963 opening day in SE Louisiana (10 years old). For some reason the season started at 12 noon on opening day. We had a flotilla of about 6 pirogues, all of us assigned to specific blinds in this marsh, the blinds built the month before. I was in a pirogue with Dad as we would be hunting in the same blind, he was poling us out and this was the day after a cold front came through, windy and biting cold (for Louisiana anyway). We were carrying an extra bundle of cane as Dad wanted to stick some fresh cane on the blind, unfortunately the cane bundle shifted and I got dumped in the water so I was wet from the waist down and pretty cold. Everyone peeled off an article of clothing so I wouldn't freeze and we continued. Anyway, I was hunting with a single shot 20 gauge and managed to get a Do Gris hen (oh sorry...scaup). I can remember it like it was yesterday.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:12 am

A guy from church talked me into coming out. He just bought some decoys and inherited a v hull boat. We went out with a couple of neighbor kids on his boat and throw some decoys out. We really did not have a clue what we were doing. We motored up stream for our launch and pulled up to a small brush pile of an island on the Snake in Eastern Idaho and threw out some decoys. Nothing came close to them. After sitting in the cold (I believe it was December) and the day getting long we threw everything in the boat and decided to drift back to the dock. A pair of fast black and white things came roaring up the river and my friend dropped one and one of the neighbor kids dropped the other. One was crippled and we had to chase it down watching for it when it dove and came up. We motored over to them and picked them up. Two goldeneyes, it was the first time I realized ducks did not all have green heads. I sat up front and we let the current pick us up again. The three of them were fiddled with the dead birds everybody wanted to hold them. A single duck winged across our bow from left to right and I swung on it and fired. The bird pitched into a cartwheel and dropped into the water. My friend asked what I was shooting at and I said, I killed one its right over there.

I fished it out of the icey water and I had never seen anything like it. It was big, had a grey belly and brown body, except for its red sloping head. We had no idea what it was. Only after a lot of internet searching did I figure out it was a canvasback. I've never seen another in the flesh since. I didn't know then that some folks feel that they are trophy species. For me, it will always be my first duck.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby Shootin' Lead » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:39 am

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Very foggy morning at Grizzly Island Refuge, California. Sitting next to a pond without decoys.
Bird comes out of the fog. I have brand new 870 3" magnum, never fired.
A snap shot just as it disappeared back into the fog. Heard the splat as it hit the water behind me.
Drake Widgeon.
You never forget the first bird.

Small world.... I killed my 1st duck at Grizzly Island... 1st Wednesday of the season, big pond all the way in the back of parking
lot 3... I was 12 years old, so that would have been 43 years ago... Drake Pintail
NRA - Life Member CRPA - Life Member
CWA - Annual Member DU - Annual Member
DW - Annual Member GOA - Annual Member
SAS - Annual Member
Shootin' Lead
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:32 am

Grizzly Island?!? Damn Kalifornians! :D

I spent most of my life living within an hour of Grizzly Island but my dad stopped hunting when we moved to the Bay Area in the late sixties. Needless to say, my hunting career didn't start until recently when I moved back to where my family came from. Plenty of pheasant under my belt but still looking for the first duck and goose.
jdinid
hunter

Postby cfp4sfc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:39 am

I grew up in big game hunting country. I actually walked out the back door with a pocket knife and a rifle after school when I shot my first elk. Never really had even shot a shotgun when friends from work invited me to go with them on the Snake River when I was 26. Spent all day watching the guys shoot birds, never was ready or confident enough to take a shot. Getting on towards later in the day, things slowed down and we were considering picking it up. A Drake Goldeneye comes boring straight in, not really headed for the decoys but buzzing down the channel we were set up across the top of. I pulled up the borrowed 870 Wingmaster and dropped him with one shot.

I can always say that I started out shooting with 100% accuracy :grooving: - that average has not held up very well since then. My buddies had no idea the monster they where creating that day, though. I hunt 2-3 days a week throughout the season now!
cfp4sfc
hunter

Postby MountainGreenhead » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Idahoquack, you my friend are in trouble. There is no such thing as "my last duck" after your first one. There is something strangely addictive about sitting in the cold for hours all to have orange mallard feet over your decoys you humped for a half mile. Enjoy every minute and do your best to get some other poor sap (or your kids) addicted too.

A scout leader took me out when I was 13 around Kuna for a corn field mallard hunt. I literally watched 5000 mallards making thier way to the river over top of us. A big flock finally dropped from what seemed like miles up and I shot a greenhead with my single shot 20. The guy who took me smoked 3 others, but I didnt even notice. I almost beat his dog running across that field for my duck.
"No, there's no such thing as dedicated about it. You guys just like to kill stuff."
MountainGreenhead
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:01 pm

There is no such thing as becoming un-addicted to waterfowling.
Even those who's infirmities prevent them going afield must thrill to the sight of flocks of geese locked up and gliding into a field, or the sound of them late on a moonlit night as they pass by overhead on their southern migrations in the fall..
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting