Here we go again.....

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Here we go again.....

Postby waveslider » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Yet again this year, some idiot has decided to to move into one of the the major remote roosting areas and keep shooting well after shooting time. Like 45 minutes after shooting time as the birds come back to roost.

I know we've all talked about calling the poaching line and all that, but if I find your rig I guarantee you that the fine you will have to pay for your indiscretion will be MUCH larger than the ticket the DFG will give you. The impact you are having to our duck population is devastating and it will not be tolerated. And I'm not the only one that's out looking for you.

The only solution to this problem is street justice. You've already run all the birds off the roost (again) for shooting too late and we will catch you. 4 flat tires, 2 flat boat trailer tires and "poacher" spray painted on the back of your rig should suffice.

And before any of you want to come on and start talking about "two wrongs don't make a right" or "what difference is it between you breaking the law and the poachers", you can save it. Maybe you ought to reflect on your own practices.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Re: Here we go again.....

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:22 pm

On the Snake today...a group upstream of me started before shooting time, later took a run in the boat and tried a few shots (under power of course). In fact during the day 2 or 3 other boats all seemed to want to jump shoot which doesn't help me with all that running around. Later, one of the boats (evidently not duck hunting as the boat was a bright blue and one of the guys was wearing a red and black checkered jacket parked their boat between me and my boat and proceeded to walk around the bank behind me, also not a big help. An hour later a big jet boat with one guy sped past from Melba way and later idled/floated back by just outside my decoys apparently scouting, I say that as he did this for the half-mile or so that I could see him and he was constantly looking at the bank. Saw 2 dead ducks float by in the main current during the day (both divers) so business a usual on the Snake today. However...I did see another boat that came from downstream and checked on the blue boat (when it was further downstream from me), then sped past me and checked on the guys in the blind upstream of me (the ones who shot early - they were there for a good 10 minutes). I think I saw patches on one of the guys jacket (F&G maybe?) but they never stopped by me or even glanced in my direction coming or going (didn't think my boat was that well camouflaged, maybe it is). Their boat was quite fast.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby cutm Jack » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:34 pm

Was it a silver boat with a white Johnson jet outboard? If so then it idfg.
cutm Jack
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Not exactly silver (light tan?) and I could not swear by the engine brand but it was an outboard (very large) and it was white. It was piloted from almost the center in a stand-up position, second guy sitting in front of the driver.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:26 am

Slidellduckhunter wrote:Not exactly silver (light tan?) and I could not swear by the engine brand but it was an outboard (very large) and it was white. It was piloted from almost the center in a stand-up position, second guy sitting in front of the driver.

Sweet
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:43 am

Some detail...I noticed an interesting thing that worked as a confirmation that this boat was F&G...after it checked on the blue boat downstream of me and sped past my position going upstream the guys in the blind upstream of me took a couple of shots (doubtlessly from the birds scattered up by the presumed F&G boat) and the shots were loud so they were probably taken in my and the F&G's direction - when the shots were made the F&G boat was almost directly between me and that blind. I was about 400+ meters from the blind and the F&G boat at that time was probably under 300 meters from them...the instant the shots went off the F&G boat throttled down and changed directions to the blind. In retrospect if they had not shot the F&G boat may not have given them any attention as they were running wide open at that moment. As I mentioned the F&G boat spent at least 10 minutes with them so I figured they were checking everything and maybe offering some shooting advice with boats in their area - I'd like to think so.
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby Snapshooter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:10 am

Slidell; I feel for you on the Snake on weekends. The numbers of dildos is amazing. I hunted Friday, down towards Marsing and although we only shot six, we had two 40+ bird flocks we almost got in. (By the way, it seems like 3 passes by the big flocks is the maximum, if the don't come in by 3 then it won't happen) What a treat to work birds not having to worry about others flairing them. Good ethics all around on Friday, no one on the Snake in earshot shot early. Too bad your work schedule forces you into that weekend mess.

When the weekend comes...here come the headaches. Good to hear that there was some enforcement on the weekend; that is when it is sorely needed.
Snapshooter
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:19 am

Good on IDF&G.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Love 2 Takem' » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Bums me out to hear all this, I started hunting waterfowl seriously about three years ago and have been working on getting a good boat that allows me to get around on the river. Starting to question whether that is the route that I want to go after hearing all of the horror stories. Unfortunately I will be living by the weekend schedule and only able to make it our during the week once in a great while. I always though that I could get a good boat and get away from all of the yahoos, but now, not so sure. Maybe I should invest in field hunting gear and try to get some private land contacts. Is it really this bad???
When I hunt I don't feel like I am killing something, I feel like I am keeping something alive.
Love 2 Takem'
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:34 am

Love 2 Takem' - I would not want to give any advice to spend or not to spend major bucks for a boat rig as I only hunt one specific 2 mile stretch of the Snake but let me say this...despite the current problems posted I am seeing some of problems diminishing for a couple of reasons but all tied to the same situation: cold weather. That seemed to discourage the mostly younger crowd without a boat from walking the banks (which was a big problem for me several weeks ago). In addition since I use Walter's Ferry it is now iced in to some degree and will only get worse for the rest of the season, this will make it extremely difficult if not impossible for some of the larger jet boats from going out, unless they come up from Melba which is a little bit of a drive. I have a small 10' rig that I manhandle across the ice to the main current - a pain but as the DU magazine said about mid-season hunting sometimes you have to work harder than others to get at the ducks). Also with a small rig (camo-painted) I can hunt fairly easily by hugging against the high banks where a lot of singles and doubles like to hang out, hunting is slower but it allows me to keep decent separation from some of the well-known blinds in the area since they are usually occupied on the weekends (and sometimes the blinds are not where you want to be). It also tests my ability to conceal in varying circumstances, it tests my decoy spread and selection, and when it works it adds a lot to my hunting satisfaction (I don't care to float or jump shoot, just not my style). Since you are thinking to buy a boat let me say this, one of the disadvantages of a small rig is speed. My 10 footer can take up to an 8 HP outboard but I bought it used with a 5 HP and with my lard butt and gear its cruising speed is about the same as an idle speed for most jet boats. In any case I would attempt to hunt despite the idiots (hopes spring eternal) because I really enjoy it and my wife and I love eating the birds and will continue hunting the Snake. I realize that my situation would not work in all areas of the Snake especially if you want/need to take others with me (I cannot) or have to cruise for more than 2 miles each way.
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:29 am

Love 2 takem, I think having a boat really opens up a lot of options for a water fowler. It's another tool in your arsenal. We don't use the boat all the time, but I can't imagine not having it now. I went without a hunting boat for a number of years because I bought a big jet boat for fishing and whitewater. I really missed having a smaller boat, so just got an 1860 last year. It lets us hunt rivers, lakes and reservoirs. In Idaho and most states, there is a lot of private land along our rivers, a boat gives you mostly unlimited access on larger waterways. I also just love being on the river, the moving water, the color of the cottonwoods in fall, and all the other wildlife we get to observe. As far as other hunters, and the unethical behaviors described, that saddens me. However, I wouldn't let that deter me and my son from enjoying getting out on the water, you will run in to fools field hunting too! One more respectful hunter on the river is a good thing in my opinion! PM me if you want to try a boat hunt over your way some time, we get over west of Caldwell sometimes. Remember we talked about snows and specks.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Love 2 Takem' » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Hey thanks for the advice, I do have a couple of small kayaks (nucanoes actually) that I have used to varying success, and while I feel safe in them I am still not ready to get my son out on a big river in the dark. They have opened up some good hunting for us, but more often then not we end up getting beat into spots or having to paddle our butts off to get some solitude. Padding does not bother me much, I could spend the entire day on the river and not get a duck, I just love being out there - I literally never get tired of it - you guys probably know what I mean. My son however is only good for a few hours and that is if he is getting some shots. I would love to go out and learn about boat hunting, mostly I want to find out how much boat I really need and how much is overkill. Fun hobby, but daunting how much there is to learn (and spend). Blackrock, I will PM you asap. Thanks for the input SlideIIduckhunter, I think you are right, it has been kind of an off season for us this year.
When I hunt I don't feel like I am killing something, I feel like I am keeping something alive.
Love 2 Takem'
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting