Waders

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Waders

Postby fetch21 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:44 am

So last weekend was chasing a cripple and made the "awesome" move of snagging my waders on something sharp and ripping a nice hole in them. Totally my fault, not a manufacturing issue.
Going to try and repair them tonight, but it's a big enough hole that I'm not too optimistic about it working real well. So that potentially puts me in the market for new waders ASAP.

Anyone got a brand or specific type they love and have had good luck with? I know Cabelas has a great warranty, but I've found myself having to use it multiple times on in the past due to leaky seams on their 3mm neoprene waders. Would like to find a good quality pair.
fetch21
hunter

Re: Waders

Postby dams10ww » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 am

Rogers toughman waders, same as the Cabelas supermags yet half the price. I believe they even have free shipping right now on them.
dams10ww
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:11 am

I like Rogers stuff a lot...just bought one of their blinds.

I used to go through a pair of Cabelas 5 mm waders every 2-3 years until I switched to their Supermags. I like them a lot. Second season on them and going strong.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Idahoryden » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:04 pm

Currently have a pair of Cabela's Big Man waders right now that are on there way back to Cabela's due to a seem rip in the first year. I would agree that overall, Cabela's waders seem a bit seam rip happy compared to other brands I have bought. This is the second pair I have had an issue with in the first year of owning them and it always is a rip right on the crotch area which makes it extra specially enjoyable when you finally find out that it is there on a 15 degree morning in 4 feet of water. Kind of like a nice "How's your fatha" gift at 6am in the morning to make sure that you are wide awake if the coffee hadn't kicked in.

I have had great success with Redhead brand waders and good of fashion Hodgemans that have lasted me 5 years plus. I'll not buy another pair of Cabela's waders again.
Idahoryden
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:29 pm

Dup deleted
Last edited by waveslider on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby waveslider » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:31 pm

I go through about 4 pair of waders a year from sept to march. I will tell you that every road leads to leaking waders. As such, I buy the waders that are most comfortable and for me that means MPW Grand Prairie waders.

The only true way to protect your waders is to wear a pair of chaps over them which is precisely what we did hunting the timber where there was countless sharp things to trip and stab you.

Honestly, if someone made a good pair of breathable waders tall enough for me I would never wear neoprene again. I do t understand how people wear 5mm neoprene. Maybe if you belonged to a club and someone else did all the work for you.

That being said if you aren't tall I will tell you that the hands down, undisputed "leak proof" and comfortable wader I've ever worn is Orvis Lace Boot waterfowl waders. They also stand behind it if something does go wrong.

Spendy, but in my mind the best pair of duck hunting waders out there. They changed the sizing and it longer fits me. Otherwise ii would buy several pair. I wore mine in 10 below and was plenty warm.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby fetch21 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:54 pm

I was actually giving some serious thought to a non neoprene pair this time around. This was my 3rd pair of neoprene in the last 12 months, and granted this last time was more my fault than anything else but i still feel like it didn't take much to make it happen. Seems like some breathables with insulated boots and a good pair of fleece pants underneath would be just fine.
fetch21
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:03 pm

I might try the USIA waders next. My Hodgemans finally gave up, but I got 5 years out of them. I've been hunting in my Simms breathable fishing waders, dry and comfortable but I've been freezing for the last two weeks......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Perro Negro » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:48 pm

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/81071?pa ... owl-waders

I bought a pair of these last year and have been loving them.
Super warm and easy to walk long distances.
Perro Negro
hunter

Postby Luxuryhunter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:17 pm

I just made the switch last week to the Cabelas Dry-Plus waders w/600g in the feet. I love them! Always have worn Neoprene but after almost passing out from heat exhaustion multiple times I couldn't take it. In the trash they went! The Dry-Plus are MUCH lighter and less bulky too. So far I love um! :thumbsup:
Luxuryhunter
Newb

Postby hntndux » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:30 pm

I have a pair of "Dry Plus" breathable's they have at least 8-10 seasons on them, very comfy and light, not as warm as soom? I also have Cabela's 1600 gram pair for the cold, love them too could stand in ice water and not get cold feet..For me I like Cabela, never worry about taking them back, alot of stores you would be waiting months for a reply..
hntndux
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:15 pm

I must try the Dry-Plus on the next go-around. I currently use Cabela's neoprene and I'm getting tired of the condensation, which actually froze on the inside of the waders last year in several zero degree duck hunts. However my legs and body in general stay warm (I have really good thermals) but always my toes get cold and so far I have found nothing that works (haven't tried any of the electric socks yet). It can be 32F or 0F and my toes get cold regardless... annoying. When I strip the waders off my socks are dry so I am puzzled. Overall though these waders have held up okay and I'm pretty rough on them but I have gone through 2 sets of plastic clips, about ready to cut off the straps and use an ammo belt.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby matt58 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:51 am

I have a pair of Cabelas Super-Mag 1600 5mm neoprene waders, bought new in 2000. By far the toughest waders I have ever worn. I have had my fair sahre of snags, tears, and holes that have all been repaired. This year, it seem that the seams have given up and began leaking. After numerous tubes of Aquaseal, its time for a new pair. 5mm sucks in early season, but save my ass in the colder months. I love these damn things.
"Charlie don't surf!!!"
matt58
hunter

Postby Perro Negro » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:22 pm

Just to reaffirm synthetics are the way to go....I regularly hunt in sub zero weather and find them to be every bit as warm as 5mm
neoprene and So much easier maneuver around in. My perfectly good 5mm waders sit idle in the closet.
Perro Negro
hunter

Postby matt58 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Perro Negro wrote:Just to reaffirm synthetics are the way to go....I regularly hunt in sub zero weather and find them to be every bit as warm as 5mm
neoprene and So much easier maneuver around in. My perfectly good 5mm waders sit idle in the closet.

Could you make some suggestions on which brand? I just got a new pair of 5mm waders and I would be willing to try something new.
"Charlie don't surf!!!"
matt58
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting