Panhandle migration?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Panhandle migration?

Postby Dirtnapmaker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Just wondering for the few that hunt up here, have you noticed that there is nothing????!!!! Seems like we had a few birds before ice age happened, but now that it's over and thawed a little (ponderay river is at least back open) there is nothing some local honkers and a few green heads but nothin significant???? Usually by now we are hitting the divers hard, and seeing big rafts of ducks up and down the river. So I guess my question is did we get passed up??????
It's not easy getting up, before the sun thinks of rising, doing hours of work in miserable conditions. But it's all worth it when the birds are cupped feet down in the deeks!!!!
Dirtnapmaker
hunter

Re: Panhandle migration?

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Welcome to the forum. I think we did have a period during the extreme cold and ice up where many of the birds that would normally drop in and hang on the PO River just overflew us. It's a weird year for sure.
Last edited by HaydenHunter on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:49 am

They were here only for a few days, then they left. Even by the long bridge is just a small group of coots anymore. Slim pickin's for the rest of the season
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Dirtnapmaker » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:28 am

I hope some show up to finish out our longer season and to work out my new browning maxus! It has been the worst season in my 10year waterfowl career!
It's not easy getting up, before the sun thinks of rising, doing hours of work in miserable conditions. But it's all worth it when the birds are cupped feet down in the deeks!!!!
Dirtnapmaker
hunter

Postby jdinid » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 am

The geese are down here in the south.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Abomb » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:47 am

jdinid wrote:The geese are down here in the south.

That's a long way from us here in the NORTH!
Birds are still around, just not in the numbers we are used to. This has been an interesting season for sure. I have noticed that guys are now getting desperate, seeing hunters in areas I usually do not. That cold snap made the birds over fly us for sure. I have hardly killed any wigeon this year, which sucks 'cause I really like hunting and eating them. This has been my best mallard year though, smacked a ton of green this year. I have hardly hunted up by you guys which is to bad since I really enjoy hunting up there.

PM incoming DNM.
Abomb
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting