Idaho Waterfowl Association - Still Active?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Idaho Waterfowl Association - Still Active?

Postby waveslider » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:44 am

I was wondering if anyone on here knows whether the IWA is still active? I went to their website and it looks like there is some dated information but probably still going?

I was going to buy some youth memberships for some of the kids in the neighborhood (as well as myself) but wanted to check first.

Although I may disagree with Goosepond in terms of cause and effect around some of the challenges we face with Idaho Waterfowl, the one thing we absolutely agree on is the danger that Waterfowl Guiding and Outfitting poses to our state, history and hunting opportunities.

As I was looking for an outlet for support, I came across the IWA. Can anyone comment on its current status?

P.S. If this is some sort of hot topic or third rail I'm not looking to stir the pot here. I'm truly interested and, as this is the internet after all, I guess all comments are welcome good and bad. Especially given the issues we are facing, its a worthy discussion.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Re: Idaho Waterfowl Association - Still Active?

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:31 am

Interesting, I had not heard of the IWA but I would also be interested possibly in joining. I see what you mean about the web site being somewhat dated plus they show no sponsors after 2009. However their Facebook page appears to be a little more up to date.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:54 pm

A lot of people baled after it seemed "they" made it there "club", that's the reason I have not been a member for awhile,
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Duck-slayer wrote:A lot of people baled after it seemed "they" made it there "club", that's the reason I have not been a member for awhile,
Matt

Copy that. Do you happen to know how many of "they" were there? Was it a large group or did it not really take off? Do you know what the key "issues" were and what they were tackling? I read the mission statement and it seemed innocuous enough.

Thanks
waveslider
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:31 pm

Seems like the 4-5 guys ran all the stuff, I'm sure some have read this already, not sure if your one the refuge but they mostly post over there, I just never got along with a couple people, but I don't think they have the memberships too really do much, they have gave the Idaho F&G some recommendations on the seasons and have a pretty strong no guiding stance, there not terrible if they would take some other people's suggestions,
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Hmm, I think I can understand the situation. They started the association with whatever good intentions abounded at the time but over several years the association may have imploded a bit, now just maintaining. It fits the impression and gut feeling I got from their web site and Facebook page.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:50 am

I was a member, went to a couple of meetings down in Southern ID when down there on business, was asked if I wanted to run for board member. I kind of feel bad / guilty because I just let my membership go to seed. I think it was more of a Southern Idaho thing and it frankly is a shame that it never took off in the Panhandle. I think the idea of having an advocacy group such as IWA to develop a relationship with Fish and Game and be a voice for all of us had great potential.

You guys may view the board and the goings-on as a small group of people who got too clubby within themselves, but I didn't see waterfowl hunters swelling the membership rolls or becoming active in the issues for which IWA fought the good fight. In the end, as I viewed it from the outside, a few guys were spending a lot of time to fight battles on our behalf and then getting publicly shelled in the blogosphere. If the group is fizzling it is probably because these few are simply tired of tilting at windmills with no reinforcements to back them up.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:14 am

HaydenHunter wrote:I was a member, went to a couple of meetings down in Southern ID when down there on business, was asked if I wanted to run for board member. I kind of feel bad / guilty because I just let my membership go to seed. I think it was more of a Southern Idaho thing and it frankly is a shame that it never took off in the Panhandle. I think the idea of having an advocacy group such as IWA to develop a relationship with Fish and Game and be a voice for all of us had great potential.

You guys may view the board and the goings-on as a small group of people who got too clubby within themselves, but I didn't see waterfowl hunters swelling the membership rolls or becoming active in the issues for which IWA fought the good fight. In the end, as I viewed it from the outside, a few guys were spending a lot of time to fight battles on our behalf and then getting publicly shelled in the blogosphere. If the group is fizzling it is probably because these few are simply tired of tilting at windmills with no reinforcements to back them up.

I think they would have more people behind them if they came up with more than 1 idea too run with, seems like if your not one of the top teer people than your idea's "suck", and are not considered..... I like the IWA and what it stands for... Some of the decision making, I do not agree with and how they handle such constructive criticism, but this was years and years ago when I first joined, here lately seems like most have there heads on straight...... I do tell people too join if they can.... oh and there might be a reason that they don't have reinforcements too back them up..... :thumbsup:

I'll be the first too admit I don't think I have the patience for any of there dealings, i'm kinda guy that will tell them what's up and not sugar coat it....... that could be a reason also that I am not a member these days.... and you said it yourself which goes kinda toward the club deal, they are more worried about SW Idaho and alittle SE and not include the whole state.... its a group coming together for a overall good purpose, I think they just need some direction or better leadership/board members.... and get the right people in there for the job,
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby goosepond » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Ive had a hard time holding back from responding to this thread having been one of the board of directors and intamately involved in the outfitting and guiding issue and spending more time than i care to admit on that and other issues. But, its time I made just a couple comments. And Im not going to address anyone inparticular as to each their own on how they feel. But, I will say this. When many folks were asked for their comments, concerns, and how to help try and get the IWA going in other parts of the state such as southern Idaho and the PanHandle, we got no one to step up and give any help or offer to voulenteer to help get things going in those places. Or should I say no one that I know of. So I am speaking of my own experiences and not what has happened to other members or BOD's. All I am going to say, is this. From the many many hours of my own time and effort and expense to try and get waterfowlers state wide to help make comments on the outfitter/guide issue and my work on the couple of online petitions against this move by the Idaho Outfitters and Guides Board, and how some of the comments are made on this thread, it diggs deep and it hurts me hard guys that no one can say much other than belittle those who have pushed and tried to get others to help and to no respect from many. I take what has been said personally and I cant believe what some have said here but, it is what it is. As an orgianization, not everyone is or ever will see eye to eye, but it doesnt mean you/we all cant work towards one main goal. And I will say this. Some may think that their ideas arent taken and run with, but, from having helped with many issues, there were many comments made and parts of most of them were used to help tweek some things all the time. It was not what some thing was the good ole boys club, but, comments were put up to vote on and taken as a majority of hunters, not just within the IWA, but state wide.

So with that said, I will never make another post on this thread or anything related to it as the comments here by some are just what I always got when I asked for comments on at least items/issues I worked on. Take it from there and do as you will, but, there are still some that have been involved in the IWA that are still fighting their a** off to protect all waterfowlers and there is not a bit of respect given to any of them.

Good luck to you all, but, take a look at who you really are when you post up some of the comments that you do and you havent even made the effort to support or help or commit your help to getting stuff done.
goosepond
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:37 pm

My bad but before they closed the IWA forum too public comment which I believe was a huge mistake, I commented and had many posts trying too help out.... Back in 05'ish... I'm glad somebody is working over there.... I'm a DU lifer... and us carp guys are now partnered with them for a couple events, you might try that with the IWA, oh another grand idea that should be suggested.... Or maybe a sign up page at the Cabelas stores in Idaho... But that would take some volunteers.... Which wouldn't be that hard if you could get 4 guys on 2 hr shifts... I'm not trying too bad mouth the IWA, just saying my experience back in 05'ish...
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby RedLegsId » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:16 am

This thread should be closed before someone cuts loose on Matt! Matt you have no idea went went on with IWA.
RedLegsId
hunter

Postby Squishy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:16 am

Matt anything that doesn't go your way is wrong. I experienced it first hand with your insults when I told you I wouldn't be hunting with you as often. I was one of the 4 guys that had lunch at the Ram and instigated such a thing as organizing us waterfowlers. The IWA has never been a "club" like you say. Think of the difference you could make. Instead of spending time on the internet bad mouthing the things you disagree with. If you spent 1/4 the time some of these guys have fighting for the waterfowlers of Idaho, things could be different.

Keep your negativity about the IWA and it's BOD to yourself or in private message form. Your feelings from "05ish" are based on you not getting your way. There are people that know what they're talking about and they have been fighting for all of us.
The dog Cursan's Perfect Limit JH
The gun Beretta AL390 (Snake River Arms custom)
The call Echo XLT
Squishy
hunter

Postby goosepond » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:42 am

Duck-slayer wrote:My bad but before they closed the IWA forum too public comment which I believe was a huge mistake, I commented and had many posts trying too help out.... Back in 05'ish... I'm glad somebody is working over there.... I'm a DU lifer... and us carp guys are now partnered with them for a couple events, you might try that with the IWA, oh another grand idea that should be suggested.... Or maybe a sign up page at the Cabelas stores in Idaho... But that would take some volunteers.... Which wouldn't be that hard if you could get 4 guys on 2 hr shifts... I'm not trying too bad mouth the IWA, just saying my experience back in 05'ish...
Matt

Let me tell you something Matt, and I said I wasnt going to say anymore on this thread but, I cant resist contradicting your statement especially about a page at Cabella's and getting help. Believe me, that was tried over and over and to get anyone other than a BOD or Officer of the Association was like pulling teeth and they didnt get any other help. If it was or is so easy, why didnt you volunteer and give your help for 2 hours on a saturday and give up your favorite things including family.

And as for closing the IWA forum to public comment, it wasnt, only a portion that was open to member discussions of positions and topics of internal matters. Many outfits have that, IWA isnt the only one. The public site had a lot of information open to public discussions and still is. When was the last time you looked at the IWA website and made a comment on it either pro or con? Better know what your talking about and have your ducks in a row before you speak and know why things are done as they are.

If you or anyone goes back to the general forums on the IWA website, there are many many many times help was asked for by the Assoication, including Youth Day by the F&G and there were no takers. I tried in East Idaho to get any help and got no one, nothing so I couldnt do it myself so it wasnt done. But, there have been many things done by the Association that have helped all waterfowlers and you just are so d**n jealous that you werent in charge all the time that what you say doesnt hold water with anyone who knows you or knew what you did when you were a member. I agree totally with redlegs and squishy on their posts. It's either put up or shut up and you never learned to shut up or to put up with others whether or not you agreed with them or not.

Time to close this thread like redlegs said. :mad:
Last edited by goosepond on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
goosepond
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:44 am

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, it appears as though there ARE some members or people familiar with the group on the chat here and the OP was a request for information regarding IWA and their current state of membership and solvency.

With all due respect to Matt, he voiced his opinion on the situation which is certainly his right but he is only one waterfowler. Not everybody is going to agree with everyone, and maybe I wouldn't either but I am still wanting information (and it sounded like others might also) about the IWA and what its about.

I've never seen them "advertised" or promoted at various other waterfowl-type activites. Not that I go to that many, so I may be missing it.

Virtually ALL of these types of organizations are driven by a select group of people that work tirelessly for the cause. The membership is there to prop them up and ensure the right direction is given.

I don't care if it gets started under a new thread, but can someone please comment on the current state of the IWA? Is it still active or not? And what is the current state of affairs?
waveslider
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:38 pm

LOL..... This funny... Your getting all bent out of shape, I am not bad mouthing the IWA, not sure where that came from... Just saying my experience.... and i would have helped if i was closer, i live out by Homedale... i cant help it i like stirring the pot, its funny, you see thr true colors of people... and squishy lets not go there,
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby goosepond » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:24 am

Duck-slayer wrote:http://www.idahowaterfowl.org/forums/index.php?topic=1304.0
http://www.idahowaterfowl.org/forums/in ... pic=1316.0
http://www.idahowaterfowl.org/forums/in ... pic=1306.0

This for you that didn't think I did anything.....
Matt

And yes 2 of the three things you suggested were implemented so why the sour attitude that your ideas werent ever taken and run with. Sounds to me that people did take your ideas and go with them and not always just what they wanted. In fact, I was the one that ran with the online petition and its been posted up on this forum and thread many many times. I guess Matt its how you approach your information and as you said yourself, you like to stir the pot. Instead of stirring the pot, why not put the effort into helping and let bygones be bygones and move on and forward. It could start with you joining IWA yourself again and taking your ideas and efforst forward. I know I for one cant count the number of hours I have put into the Outfitter and guiding issue, let alone several others in the IWA. Its way more than anyone can count or care to count. But, with on support from some others and the bashing that we take from comments like you put on here, it really doesnt help some of us to move on. Maybe try to atleast give the positive instead of the negative all the time as Ive seen you do in the past, and I dont know you personally, but have seen many of your posts on this forum and others. Please try to refrain from the so negative and move forward with the positive or no comment at all, whether you like it or not. And yes you do have the right to voice your opinion, but, some times you just dont get it with what you do post up.
goosepond
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:43 pm

Ok... I'll refrain from stirring the pot... :biggrin:
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:19 pm

So is the association still active or not? Good grief.
waveslider
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:02 pm

Yes it is....
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby dukkhnter » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 am

Idaho Waterfowl Association(IWA) does still exist, but is just not very active. We currently have four board members and <40 members, with most being lifetime memberships. I was not involved in the original IWA startup, but have been involved since 2008. I am a current board member.

The organization has gone through plenty of stages, some where we were very active and some like now where it is very dormant. Throughout the club’s existence the common theme during the active periods was that the board members were doing a lot of work and volunteers were in short order. I know this was a problem both before and after I was a board member. This is a common problem with a lot of clubs though.

We have also worked on a majority vote system and with duck hunters being as opinionated as they are it has made numerous people mad. These folks have trashed IWA on the internet forums and ruined a lot of what the club could be.

We have asked for more board members every year to no avail, so the existing board has been in place for the last few years(with a few open board seats remaining). The board is compromised of mostly younger guys with families that don’t always have a lot of time. I’ll admit that what the organization really needs is fresh board members and volunteers. The current board members are burned out.

If someone is interested in joining and becoming a board member with fresh ideas I would be more than interested to hear what you have to say. I’m pretty safe to say that the current board would like a break from the organization.

Thanks,
Bryce
dukkhnter@hotmail.com
dukkhnter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks Bryce, that helps a lot and gives perspective to the current state of the association. While I'm not in a position to be a board member, I am certainly adding a significant number of young hunters to the waterfowl ranks who want to do something local vs. National DU.

If we were to swell the ranks of the membership, do you have a sense for where that money gets spent? Local Projects, State Projects, etc?

I realize that with such few current members, the idea of having a meaningful budget is pretty far fetched, but are there any pending projects that are awaiting funding for example?

Or am I assuming a level of organization that just isn't there (which is fine and NOT a criticism)?

Getting back to the original spirit of my post, we are looking for an outlet for our support of waterfowling in Idaho and if I were to be brutally honest, I'm personally not convinced that the "DU Marketing Machine" really has Idaho's waterfowling at the core of their objectives.

If the IWA is not the best outlet for that support, I'm wondering what is? Or maybe we just continue to go-it alone and maintain the Wood Duck Boxes, River Clean-ups after the season and trap as many skunks as we can, etc. Ha!

Thanks again for your honest assessment and comments.
waveslider
hunter

Postby dukkhnter » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:12 pm

Waveslider,
If the membership ranks would swell the board could vote to spend the money on what the membership was interested in, within the bylaws. IWA is not a conservation organization first order. The original mission and guiding principles are here: http://www.idahowaterfowl.org/?action=mission While conservation is in the mission we have never really been big enough to fund much. What we have provided is manpower and the USFWS has been able to use our manpower to get more grants. Previous projects have included nesting surveys, goose nest maintenance, trash cleanup, banding birds, youth hunts and participation in waterfowl fairs.

What IWA really tries to do is provide feedback to IDFG, USFWS, Idaho legislature and other state agencies on issues of concern to waterfowl hunters.

With the type of membership numbers we have and the funding that comes in it really just covers mostly the bills. IWA is a member of the Idaho Sportsmen's Caucus Advisory Council which was $200 year, but has recently moved to $300. We also pay for the website, but have somewhat recently just started using Facebook.

There has been previous discussion of doing away with IWA and focusing efforts on creating a Delta Waterfowl chapter in Idaho, but it would get away from the real reason IWA was initially formed. IWA lets us take a position on local issues, be them political or not, where DU and Delta won't take these positions. They are conservation focused only.

Personally, I am with you in that I am losing faith in DU and their management. More and more it seems they just purchase land and easements that end up being private duck clubs shortly there after. Doesn't seem like they focus on the average duck hunter anymore... granted I still gave them my money this year, :)
dukkhnter
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting