Close call

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714

Close call

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Fabulous goose hunt today. Four hunters got limits.
Close call for me though.
A large flock swept in over the decoys, and as the firing started, I folded one big Canada goose and was swinging to line up on another not 25 yards above me, but just as I was about to pull the trigger on the second part of an easy double, I saw a bird cartwheel out of the flock and come straight at me.
I literally dove off my shooting stool as the bird crashed against the seat of the stool.
I came that close to being a gelding. The tip of one wing feather hit me as I dove to the side.
The bird ended up here.

So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.

Re: Close call

Postby waveslider » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Ouch, that could have ended badly. I know several folk on here have heard me tell the story of a relatively new duck hunter that reached out the front of the blind to catch a falling mallard and when it hit his hand it just broke his arm over the front of the blind like it was made of glass.

Catching a pinwheeling dove in the field = Fun. Catching a falling waterfowl = Dangerous.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff

Postby mtbaughs » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:17 pm

Wow that would have been a major headache! I had a duck and cover moment the other day, luckily it missed by more than a few feet.

Postby duckcomanderJR. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:42 pm

we've sorta have had this with ducks but not geese. ive seen what kinda damages geese can do. I've lost a couple of nice decoys due to geese falling on them!
if they fly they die!!

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:40 pm

glad you got out of the way! had this happen to me also.
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...

Postby 3200 man » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:40 am

So what your saying Jim is , you're still pretty DAM Quick in the blind as birds are falling ? :lol3:

I saw a Speck come down and spear itself on a layout blind tube and thought to myself , Wow , that could hurt !

WITH A BIG BIRD LIKE THAT , good thing you've still got that in you .

Happy New Year

3200 man

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting