Anyone hunting with Remington 887?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Anyone hunting with Remington 887?

Postby mtbaughs » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:48 pm

Looking for feedback on this gun. I love my 870 but want something more durable that'll shoot 3.5" and that doesn't cost over $400. Thinking either this or a super mag 870
mtbaughs
hunter

Re: Anyone hunting with Remington 887?

Postby rikasam2013 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:49 pm

I have an 870 express super mag, love it. An 887 feels too bulky in the hand and don't like the position of the slide release. Coat the super mag with a good rust preventative to seal the pores in the finish and no problems. I use breakfree. :thumbsup:
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I am leaning towards the 870 as from what I've been reading it's much more reliable. I might try handling a nova and compare as well.
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:21 pm

Nova is a good gun too, shot a mallard the other day with my bud's. Like the 887 I think the pump is too bulky, don't like the safety position or the grip angle, but I can shoot one fine. Check one out you might like it.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:54 pm

I did like the sound of being able to cycle out a round without ejecting another if I need to pop in a goose load last minute. I've gotten pretty good with popping a round out of the 870 without ejecting another but it can be a pain.
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:44 am

When it comes to guns, I'm pretty opinionated, but also educated. The unfortunate reality is Remington doesn't make a good gun anymore. That includes the beloved 870. If you have an older model 870, keep it and enjoy it. Any gun made by Remington is junk at this stage. You need only ask someone working the gun counter at one of the local stores.....

If you truly need a 3.5 gun, then your non-crap options are limited. Beretta Xtrema, SBE, Nova or Mossberg. The mossberg is a little suspect in that older versions are pretty good, newer models maybe not so much.

The SBE seems to have overcome its earlier demons but I still don't like that design vs. the M2/Montefeltro design. I have a Montefeltro with somewhere around 250/300k rounds through it and only needed normal wear and tear part replacement.

For ducks I'm currently shooting a Xtrema and won't trade it for anything. Mostly because it fits me out of the box, very unusual indeed.

The wife shoots a SBE at Turkeys. I assure you, shooting a 3.5" shell out of a pump will get your attention, count on it. I will put the durability and reliability of my semi-auto up against any modern day pump so I would have to say stay away from Remington and if you're set on goose bombs, get a semi auto.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby 6936randy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:43 pm

I purchased the 887 to see if I really wanted to get back into duckhunting without spending a ton of $. I have previously owned Remington 1100's built in the early 70's and really liked them. My new Remington is nothing like my older guns. My first complaint about the NIB 887 was the lack of a plug. Email to big green and one was on the way free of charge. After that first year I went for the 11-87. Again a NIB firearm with missing parts. More emails to Remington and finally I got the missing barrel seal parts to be able to shoot light and heavy loads plus the correct set of chokes. Both of these issues have me suspect of the quality control at Remington. Back to my concern of the 887. Each time I shoot it I find the bolt partially back and the empty nearly ejected. This without me even pumping it. Other than that I have not had any issues with it jamming or failing to cycle/fire. I can get used to the bulkier feel of the forearm so for now am keeping it as a back up. In hind site I probably should have bought a shot gun that started with a B instead of the R.
6936randy
Newb

Postby rikasam2013 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Add a limbsaver pad to shoot 3.5". I put them on all my hard kickers, shotguns and rifles both. Pumps unlock at the shot, all mine come back on recoil, Remingtons and mossbergs both.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:41 pm

:beer: thanks for the feedback all
mtbaughs
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting