Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:17 pm

I feel the pain for everybody who sees what's coming. Even those folk from south of our border who come with fists full of money.
Was just talking to one of the most intense waterfowlers I know, and telling him I don't see much free lance field hunting left in 5 years, and he's wondering if it will last even that long.
By the Grace of God, we have been in Paradise these nearly thirty years that I have been here, but the signs of change have begun to appear everywhere this season like never before. Money has found Paradise.
We will continue to have our field hunts for a few seasons yet, but money talks loudest, and those days of great variety in choices of where to hunt for the free lance hunters will soon diminish. Even the guys with the money will be locked into a single field by reason of the very thing they are doing here!
There's going to be more driving and scouting for second rate spots, and we'll be seeing the river sloughs become more crowded very quickly now. Driving the river in the early morning dark will become more dangerous, not just because of snags, but guys racing to get "There" first.
Glad I've had the decades of quality hunting I've had here in Idaho, and every state from Alaska to Arizona over that time.
I enjoy a limit as much as the next guy, but that has long ceased to be the most important part of a hunt. A lighter strap may be a more common occurrence in the near future for most of us. Learn to savor in greater measure the more aesthetic moments of your hunt. It may soon start to replace the heavy straps we once knew so well.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm


Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby waveslider » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Blackfoot Inc wrote:Honestly, you'll should thank Chad Belding for exposing your great states tremendous waterfowling opportunities to the our country, all while profiting significantly from your resource.
I live and hunt in New Mexico, our state has had the unfortunate visit from the Duck Commander crew now twice (2007) with them just leaving 2 weeks ago with one hell of a video :mad: for profit!!! Next will be a rush of Louisiana hunters flooding NM once their video is released...Joy, Joy! Not that fowling opportunities aren't competitive enough.

I feel your PAIN in New Mexico :beer:



OMG, that has to be the funniest thing I have ever heard. I hear this argument every year and I laugh. Do you really think that guys from Louisiana are going to be flocking to New Mexico or Idaho for the "tremendous waterfowling opportunities"? Um, have you even BEEN to Louisiana? Or Missouri? Or Ark? We post a picture of a greenhead limit like its this mystical apparition that only comes once a season. In Missouri I would go entire SEASONS of limiting every trip out and shooting nothing but mallards and would travel out of state to shoot a Gadwall, or a Wigeon.

You guys need to get out a little more. If Idaho or New Mexico is your idea of waterfowling heaven then good on ya. I enjoy it too. But let's not lose sight of the fact that more ducks are shot in one COUNTY of Missouri or one PARISH of LA, than the entire migration through Idaho or New Mexico.

People soon realize that the videos of Chad B and the Duck Commander are places that were reserved, not hunted, clubs, or otherwise just plain and simple awesome timing (with maybe even some borderline baiting) and that for the rest of us success comes from hard scouting, a good network and even a little luck.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:13 pm

What rock have you been living under? Do you "Not" understand public hunting opportunities in Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas? Folks are moving to NM not just for world class Fowling (Duck) but also Elk hunting...get serious!!!! :hammer:
Veiw any Texas forum and see public land straps full of spoonies, then look at the private land Mallard straps. Laugh it up it's coming your way also! And yes our parking lots are full of LA plates.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby waveslider » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 pm

Do you understand public hunting opportunities in Idaho and NM? Some people seem to think that the farmer's fields they have access to hunt on are somehow public property? Idaho has a big river through it (not near as big as the Mississippi) and other than that, there isn't much of a refuge system. A few reservoirs and that's it.

There was even a suggestion here to OUTLAW a farmer's right to lease out his own property? Please go back to California with that socialist idea. The landowner is just that - OWNER. That land is not public.

If you have Louisiana plates in your parking lots (which I VERY much doubt), its more likely because you have an oilfield project nearby, not because of your "outstanding waterfowl opportunities".
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:37 am

Blackfoot Inc wrote:Honestly, you'll should thank Chad Belding for exposing your great states tremendous waterfowling opportunities to the our country, all while profiting significantly from your resource.
I live and hunt in New Mexico, our state has had the unfortunate visit from the Duck Commander crew now twice (2007) with them just leaving 2 weeks ago with one hell of a video :mad: for profit!!! Next will be a rush of Louisiana hunters flooding NM once their video is released...Joy, Joy! Not that fowling opportunities aren't competitive enough.

I feel your PAIN in New Mexico :beer:


I have to agree with waveslider here, when I first read this I could not believe that anyone in Louisiana (in their right mind) would travel all the way to NM or Idaho just to hunt ducks. In addition to their own good hunting if they go anywhere out of state it will be to the rice fields in SE Texas or up to the flooded timber of Arkansas. I am a Louisiana native from outside New Orleans and you haven't lived until you've seen the clouds of literally thousands of snows and blues swirling around you down in the Lake Borgne and Lake Catherine area towards the Gulf, or flocks of 40+ do-gris (scaup) decoying into your spread on the Rigolets. Not only do you have open marsh but also flooded timber with tons of wood ducks in the swamp around the Pearl River and Middle Pearl - and then there is the hunting found in the rice fields of SW Louisiana, swamp and marsh through Alexandria and Baton Rouge area and the flooded timber in northern LA. I have not hunted New Mexico but I lived in Albuquerque for 9 years and knew many waterfowlers there; except for some decent geese concentration in the East one had to scout far and wide for ducks and get them with any consistency. I was a rep at the time and traveled throughout the state to all corners and I never saw the waterfowl that we have here even in Idaho. The other problem was if the land around wasn't private it belongs to one of a number of pueblo tribes so finding public access can be tricky. In my opinion Idaho has some good waterfowl hunting if you know where to go and you are persistent and willing to adapt but it is not the waterfowler's paradise where folks from Louisiana will go (some think Boise is in Iowa anyway).
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
User avatar
Slidellduckhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:03 am
Location: Boise, Idaho

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:43 am

And...there is more...after we came in from hunting ducks and geese from the marsh around Lake Borgne (Dad had a 28 ft Chris Craft as a base of operations) we'd fish for redfish off the boat and then gather local wild oysters and eat fried oyster po' boys on the boat - Louisiana is a true Sportsman Paradise (as the slogan goes). I wonder sometimes why I left...hmmm...
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
User avatar
Slidellduckhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:03 am
Location: Boise, Idaho

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby goosepond » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:52 am

waveslider wrote:Do you understand public hunting opportunities in Idaho and NM? Some people seem to think that the farmer's fields they have access to hunt on are somehow public property? Idaho has a big river through it (not near as big as the Mississippi) and other than that, there isn't much of a refuge system. A few reservoirs and that's it.

There was even a suggestion here to OUTLAW a farmer's right to lease out his own property? Please go back to California with that socialist idea. The landowner is just that - OWNER. That land is not public.


I agree in some with your's and others statements, but, I am not sure where you got the notion that there was or is a suggestion out there to outlaw a farmers right to lease his own property. Furthest from the truth, there never was nor is there that suggestion. Thats what the OGLB would have you believe and some others who are pushing the outfitting and guiding issue, but, it was and is not the truth.

As far as video's and drawing other states into Idaho for waterfowling, believe it or not but there have been filming crews for National companies filming videos and publishing them in Idaho for years. In fact one of the guys I hunt with just saw a show on tv just about a month ago that even had a map on the show pin pointing where these hunters were at and described the area near Pocatello and the Fort Hall Indian reservation and had a full 30 minute tv show on hunting there.

So, if you dont think it isnt here, your mistaken folks and it is drawing more and more people all the time. So I would laugh so hard at Blackfoot. And if you dont think if the guiding issues passes that there wont be more people here from other areas of the country to "just see" what its all about, your mistaken there too. There are many Idahoan's that go on hunts all over the country and when they go, they brag and bost how good they have it and believe me, they do get other OOS's to come to Idaho.

We are are own worst enemy and it wont stop.

Its all here and here to stay, and only get worse.
goosepond
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:21 am

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby waveslider » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:14 am

drakz wrote:I'm not concerned about out of state guys. What I wish would go away is it being legal to Pay a land owner for a hunting right. Duck Clubs and Paying Farmers to hunt should go away.



Did I misread this?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby waveslider » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 am

jdinid wrote:
drakz wrote:I'm not concerned about out of state guys. What I wish would go away is it being legal to Pay a land owner for a hunting right. Duck Clubs and Paying Farmers to hunt should go away.


Amen. But that particular genie is now out of the bottle. Keeping it under control will be almost impossible.


Maybe I mis-understood this also?

Listen, I'm on the same team here, but merely talking about trying to limit a Farmer's ability to make money however he sees fit is simply stupid talk. And maybe, just maybe this piles on to this "entitlement mentality" BS that everyone wants to talk about. Grow up. The landowner can do what he/she pleases. Period.

If you don't want people snatching up land in your area, then you need to use logic, reasoning, a call to our politicians for the "greater good" and not whining.

There will always be landowners trying to make a buck. I applaud them. But if you appeal to their logic, then you might find it a little easier to reason with them.

I've already spoken to the landowners around here. I've explained that virtually every, single owner that has leased their property has come to regret it. Why? Because as soon as someone leases your land, they have a right. And they think they can do whatever they want with the property. What does that mean? That means broken fences, injured livestock, rutted fields, and your sons being kicked off the family farm for hunting without permission. Yes, it has already happened just this holiday season.

I explain to them that I am their neighbor, I have a vested interest in our relationship BEYOND just hunting and I take their kids with me every chance I get, not kick them off the field because I have clients with me. I call them when there is a problem with a birthing calf, not pass it up because I'm on a timetable.

The farmers that might be considered "greedy" are hearing stories from their friends and relatives about $100 per acre rental rates but what they don't realize is that's the going rate for a RICE FIELD in Arkansas. Not a fallow beet field in bum **** Idaho.

All you guys talk about is how bad Turkey and Waterfowl Guiding is bad for YOU. How YOUR hunting opportunities will be hindered and how YOU will not have anywhere to hunt anymore. Its not about YOU. If you don't start coming up with a rational argument about how this is bad for everyone and make that case to politicians, then Goosepond is right and this is already a done deal.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby jdinid » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:11 am

waveslider wrote:
jdinid wrote:
drakz wrote:I'm not concerned about out of state guys. What I wish would go away is it being legal to Pay a land owner for a hunting right. Duck Clubs and Paying Farmers to hunt should go away.


Amen. But that particular genie is now out of the bottle. Keeping it under control will be almost impossible.


Maybe I mis-understood this too?


Yes. You at least misunderstood my response.

Farmers and ranchers used to be a lot more friendly and accommodating than they are today. That's a fact and that's what I was lamenting. I don't like the fact people are now being charged to hunt on private land but it's private property and I'm a very strong proponent of property rights. If a farmer or rancher decides they can make a buck charging for access to their land, more power to them. That doesn't mean that I have to like it but it does mean that I have to deal with it. What bothers me even more is that it's difficult just to find someone that will even let you pay to hunt their land. A lot of that has to do with bad experiences but a lot of it also has to do with corporations buying large swaths of land and locking them down for development sometime in the future. Corporate lawyers say "no hunting". Yes, it's legal. Yes, I support their right to do what they will with their property but yes, for the average hunter, it sucks. What allowing guides and outfitters will do is drive the cost of hunting what private land is available through the roof by adding a middleman.

Welcome to progress. It's a double edged sword.
jdinid
hunter
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:48 pm

BINGO jdinid!
Prices will skyrocket!!!
We once could purchase Landowner Tags for $500-$1000 for elk, they now sell for 8k-10k.
Guides/outfitters have driven prices so high that rather then lease or buy landowner tags groups from Texas (in our case) have started just purchasing property with tags, they then sell those overpriced tags to meet their financial obligation, and hunt for free. However, our Game Dept has now cut landowner tags allotted to ranchers in half, which will again force prices upwards, supply and demand. If you honestly don't believe hunting programming (TV, Video) has an effect, think again! Jackie Bushman, Will Primos, Michael Waddell and yes, Chad Belding directly effect our state(s) hunting, you almost can't watch an elk hunting episode that wasn't filmed in NM or AZ. See for yourself.

How does this effect waterfowl? Every fall caravans of non-resident hunters flock to NM to hunt Big Game and what do they see, public land, and lots of it full of hunting opportunities that they don't have in Texas. So now these same Big Game Outfitters are now capitalizing on waterfowl by leasing property, and what does this do to the market, it drives costs up. This is to the point the OP was referencing to. Your Utah/California is our Texas and yes Louisiana. Just look at Colorado, Stillwater Outfitters has leased farmland from Denver to Cheyenne Wyoming for geese and ducks, guess who his prized client is "Yup" Chad Belding, Cha-Ching!!

Research Iowa and see what land values have become as a result of Whitetail hunting, and I know none of us have ever seen a television program shot in Iowa, for that matter how about the Milk river in Montana. I wonder what farmers in Saskatchewan and Alberta think of they're property values :grooving: so, don't say they won't come to "Bum####NM/ID" because they will and are.

Open your eyes, the sky is not falling, but if you want quality hunting opportunities for your Children and their children it's time to act.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby hntndux » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Hate to say it cause I feel your pain..Calif waterfowl hunting the last 5-8 years has sucked, blinds everywhere in rice that do-not produce and some sucker every year willing to throw down. Half of Idaho's population is from another State, so that argument is weak..From what I hear the only reason all that corn is there is from California dairymen coming up there and requiring it.. ??Idaho and Washington have developed over the last 25 years into farming States, before that all those Mallards didn't stay there anyway..
You cant grow a million acres of corn and hold all the Mallards then tell everyone else to stay home..That Wouldn't be Sportin!!!
hntndux
hunter
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Northern, ca.

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby jdinid » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:44 pm

hntndux wrote:Hate to say it cause I feel your pain..Calif waterfowl hunting the last 5-8 years has sucked, blinds everywhere in rice that do-not produce and some sucker every year willing to throw down. Half of Idaho's population is from another State, so that argument is weak..From what I hear the only reason all that corn is there is from California dairymen coming up there and requiring it.. ??Idaho and Washington have developed over the last 25 years into farming States, before that all those Mallards didn't stay there anyway..
You cant grow a million acres of corn and hold all the Mallards then tell everyone else to stay home..That Wouldn't be Sportin!!!


Lol!
jdinid
hunter
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby goosepond » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:53 am

Now everyone seems to have it :grooving: Should have been on this band wagon several years ago. It may be to late to save some of Idaho's best waterfowling in years to come cause unless there is one h**l of an uproar and serious sommitment of resources to go after the State legislators to protect out waterfowling, just like they made hunting part of our State constitution last year, get them to stop outfitting and guiding. Get them to put it on the ballot as a referendum this fall or if the State Outfitters and Guides Association gets it through the legislators, get a state wide referendum on the ballot this fall to prohibit guiding for waterfowl and turkey. There has been a moritorium on it, except for 4 guides in East idaho who were grandfathered in, for over 20 years and there was no need for it, so why the need now? There isnt and it couldnt and cant be shown other than persoan desires and then to really drive up the price of our hunting in Idaho.

Go gettem guys and get everyone that you know to go after them and to the governor, your legislators and whoever will listen. Times running short, dont pass up your chance to get it stopped. It doesnt take long for an email to be sent opposing this insanity by a dictatorial State Agency that wont listen to anyone of their public consituants except those guides who are willing to pay any kind of money to get more money.

STOP OUTFITTING AND GUIDING FOR WATERFOWL AND TURKEY :hammer: :hammer:
goosepond
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:21 am

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby hntndux » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:41 pm

I thought Outfitting/guiding for waterfowl in Idaho was illegal?? what am I missing.
hntndux
hunter
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Northern, ca.

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby goosepond » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:56 am

hntndux wrote:I thought Outfitting/guiding for waterfowl in Idaho was illegal?? what am I missing.

It is. But, there were 4 outfitters in East Idaho years ago, long before the moritoium was put in place that were grandfathered in. They have specific areas they can hunt, its not wide open to them. Otherwise no outfitting or guiding for waterfowl. Turkey also has a few grandfathered but I cant tell you much about them.
goosepond
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:21 am

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby shotgunjim » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:01 pm

Tenner wrote:Hey fellow fowlers! Question....How many of you are fed up with out of state hunters? I know I am...I mean I know that it brings revenue to the state and such, but come on...I have grown up in Idaho and love it here, we really have it made in waterfowling. So much open land to hunt that is free! I was unable to hunt today because a field we were planning on hunting had a bunch of guys from utah on...They paid money for it, we can hunt it during the week but not the weekends. This is the 2nd field I know of that they have done this. I was told that they came up writing checks this fall. They way I see it is if these utah guys are going to come in and throw their money around, maybe we need to petition to get the out of state license fees raised for waterfowl. Obviously they will continue to come up here...we should make it worth while for our state. If I started one, who would sign it?

As it sits right now, $97.75 will buy you a license for our 106 day season, which is one the longest season in the west if I remember correctly. Thats $1.08 a day to come hunt here. Thats cheap!!!! I think it needs to be raised to something like $400.00 Thats still $3.77 a day! People buy up out of state big game tags and they are not cheap! So lets do it for our waterfowl as well. People buy up Rez passes at $500 bucks to hunt ducks and geese out there...The Indians have got it figured out!


I'd sign your little petition if you wern't such a jackass.

1. Every state in the Pacific flyway has a 106 day season. Not just Id.

2.NRs buying up big game tags? Why do think you're able to purchase a 2nd deer permit????? because NRs are NOT buying them up like you claim.

3. So this field that you hunt, must be one hell of a field? You pound it during the week and Utards pound it on the weekends and it still produces??? Ok whatever.

4. Your $1.08 or $3.77 a day or whatever your point is, is stupid. Do you really think these guys or anybody for that matter hunts EVERY day of the season????
shotgunjim
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:46 pm
Location: SE Id.

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby hntndux » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:38 am

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
shotgunjim wrote:
Tenner wrote:Hey fellow fowlers! Question....How many of you are fed up with out of state hunters? I know I am...I mean I know that it brings revenue to the state and such, but come on...I have grown up in Idaho and love it here, we really have it made in waterfowling. So much open land to hunt that is free! I was unable to hunt today because a field we were planning on hunting had a bunch of guys from utah on...They paid money for it, we can hunt it during the week but not the weekends. This is the 2nd field I know of that they have done this. I was told that they came up writing checks this fall. They way I see it is if these utah guys are going to come in and throw their money around, maybe we need to petition to get the out of state license fees raised for waterfowl. Obviously they will continue to come up here...we should make it worth while for our state. If I started one, who would sign it?

As it sits right now, $97.75 will buy you a license for our 106 day season, which is one the longest season in the west if I remember correctly. Thats $1.08 a day to come hunt here. Thats cheap!!!! I think it needs to be raised to something like $400.00 Thats still $3.77 a day! People buy up out of state big game tags and they are not cheap! So lets do it for our waterfowl as well. People buy up Rez passes at $500 bucks to hunt ducks and geese out there...The Indians have got it figured out!


I'd sign your little petition if you wern't such a jackass.

1. Every state in the Pacific flyway has a 106 day season. Not just Id.

2.NRs buying up big game tags? Why do think you're able to purchase a 2nd deer permit????? because NRs are NOT buying them up like you claim.

3. So this field that you hunt, must be one hell of a field? You pound it during the week and Utards pound it on the weekends and it still produces??? Ok whatever.

4. Your $1.08 or $3.77 a day or whatever your point is, is stupid. Do you really think these guys or anybody for that matter hunts EVERY day of the season????
hntndux
hunter
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Northern, ca.

Re: Whos tired of Out of state hunters?

Postby goosepond » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:52 am

If you want to contact your legislator and done know who they are or what their email address is, here is a link to all legislators with e-mails. The OGLB has a proposed rule that they themselves have adopted and awaits final legislative approval on outfitting and guiding for waterfowl and turkey before the legislature. Nows the time to make yourselves heard if you want it stopped. If it is confirmed by the legislators, or no action taken, it will become rule by the OGLB and there will be nothing you can do but to accept it as there will be guiding by next years waterfowl season and you can kiss many of your favorite spots gone.

http://legislature.idaho.gov/legislatio ... /4/hilite/
goosepond
hunter
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:21 am

Previous

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests