Why we are Really Here

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Why we are Really Here

Postby MountainGreenhead » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:54 am

I hope some of you were able to get out this past weekend and enjoy the storm that pushed through. I know a few ducks did not benefit from the snow and wind. We werent too picky on what we shot later in the morning. I guess a few point blank misses will give you an itchy trigger finger. Damn fun hunt either way.
ResizedImage_1389746371695.jpg
"No, there's no such thing as dedicated about it. You guys just like to kill stuff."
User avatar
MountainGreenhead
hunter
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: SE Idaho


Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby waveslider » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:57 am

MGH,

Nice strap. We use those exact same sleds sometimes for transporting stuff and found it to be a PITA sometimes when you have stuff piled on like that. But, then we found out that Cabelas sells a camo cover for them that you can put over the top of everything and does a decent job of holding everything on.

They are on sale right now (I know b/c I just bought 2 for our larger sleds) - http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.c ... l+Products
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby tealdog » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Wave, punch holes in the sled on the side and end rails. Utilize ratchet straps and your good to go. I have tipped mine over loaded and simply made it upright and continued on !

Do the covers you speak of limit you on gear?
User avatar
tealdog
hunter
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: scouting, it's all about the scouting

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby waveslider » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:16 pm

They allow for a pretty good amount of gear. I've tried the straps, tried the bungey spider webs and the like. The covers seemed to work best for me.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby MountainGreenhead » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Ya, that is my second sled now. I had my last one like 6 years and wore holes in the bottom. It is nice early season on marsh hunts beacuse I can put the dog blind right in it and my dog stays out of the water. You cant beat a sled while walking around in the water and picking up decoys either. I use it all season hunting and then it becomes the ice fishing sled. I havent had too much problem with tipping it because even when my layout bags (hardcore backpack blinds) are loaded they still ride real low.
"No, there's no such thing as dedicated about it. You guys just like to kill stuff."
User avatar
MountainGreenhead
hunter
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: SE Idaho

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby dudejcb » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Have the ducks become wiser the last couple of weeks? They're still around but very call and decoy shy these days ... typical late season stuff. So how about posting some more pictures fr out of state hunter to salivate over...

Riddle me this: why are here? To Brag? To invite outsiders to "come visit?" You do realize that anyone, anywhere, can see your pics, right? Point being: the last thing we need is more hunting pressure from out of state and others. Enjoy your time hunting, and hours spent with the dog and friends, but posting about a good hunt on the internet is ... well ... not helping.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
User avatar
dudejcb
hunter
 
Posts: 5243
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:29 am
Location: SW Idaho

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby drakz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:29 pm

I
m here because i was born here and love it here.
is that my beer?
User avatar
drakz
hunter
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:10 am
Location: SW Idaho

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby waveslider » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:19 am

I'm here to brag actually. Took the local half lings to wear out the Goldeneye in the morning then set out a ridiculous number of goose decoys and shot 3-man goose limits in the afternoon.
Attachments
kids goldeneyes 1192014.jpg
3man goose limit 01192014.jpeg
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby waveslider » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:25 am

MountainGreenhead wrote:Ya, that is my second sled now. I had my last one like 6 years and wore holes in the bottom. It is nice early season on marsh hunts because I can put the dog blind right in it and my dog stays out of the water. You cant beat a sled while walking around in the water and picking up decoys either. I use it all season hunting and then it becomes the ice fishing sled. I haven't had too much problem with tipping it because even when my layout bags (hardcore backpack blinds) are loaded they still ride real low.



MGH, Do you ever use your sled to actually "tow" decoys in deeper water? We usually only use ours to slide around on firm ground or maybe ankle deep stuff. I've always been too nervous to ever use it in deeper (waist deep) water or to like tow it behind a small boat or something. They seem too tippy, even the big ones like we use. Any experience with that?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby gillnetter_007 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:55 am

I've toted my sled all around and through the Boise river. Not one time was it close to tipping over. It has even been in some swift currents with a load of 21 full-sized mallard floaters, 8 goose floaters, and some extra gear. Once and a while a goose decoy will try to slip out so getting a cover for the sled is my next purchase.
gillnetter_007
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby MountainGreenhead » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:22 pm

dudejcb wrote:Have the ducks become wiser the last couple of weeks? They're still around but very call and decoy shy these days ... typical late season stuff. So how about posting some more pictures fr out of state hunter to salivate over...

Riddle me this: why are here? To Brag? To invite outsiders to "come visit?" You do realize that anyone, anywhere, can see your pics, right? Point being: the last thing we need is more hunting pressure from out of state and others. Enjoy your time hunting, and hours spent with the dog and friends, but posting about a good hunt on the internet is ... well ... not helping.


That's funny. This crap is the exact reason I titled this post the way I did. A few threads had gotten out of control regarding out of state hunters and how they are already hunting in Idaho. We hunt in Idaho and converse on this forum because we all love finding, calling and shooting ducks. Guess what, there are photos of good hunts on EVERY state forum. Thanks for the helpful tips though.
"No, there's no such thing as dedicated about it. You guys just like to kill stuff."
User avatar
MountainGreenhead
hunter
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: SE Idaho

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby MountainGreenhead » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:28 pm

waveslider wrote:I'm here to brag actually. Took the local half lings to wear out the Goldeneye in the morning then set out a ridiculous number of goose decoys and shot 3-man goose limits in the afternoon.


Waveslider, great pics man. Those must have been some tough kids you took out to slaughter the Goldeneye on a January hunt. That's awesome. Looks like the neck wringing got a little western on that widgeon. :lol3:
And you are correct, bragging on duck forums is appreciated ... only if pictures are included.
"No, there's no such thing as dedicated about it. You guys just like to kill stuff."
User avatar
MountainGreenhead
hunter
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:14 pm
Location: SE Idaho

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby waveslider » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:34 pm

MountainGreenhead wrote:
dudejcb wrote:Have the ducks become wiser the last couple of weeks? They're still around but very call and decoy shy these days ... typical late season stuff. So how about posting some more pictures fr out of state hunter to salivate over...

Riddle me this: why are here? To Brag? To invite outsiders to "come visit?" You do realize that anyone, anywhere, can see your pics, right? Point being: the last thing we need is more hunting pressure from out of state and others. Enjoy your time hunting, and hours spent with the dog and friends, but posting about a good hunt on the internet is ... well ... not helping.


That's funny. This crap is the exact reason I titled this post the way I did. A few threads had gotten out of control regarding out of state hunters and how they are already hunting in Idaho. We hunt in Idaho and converse on this forum because we all love finding, calling and shooting ducks. Guess what, there are photos of good hunts on EVERY state forum. Thanks for the helpful tips though.


Just to prove that EVERY state forum posts pics of successful duck hunts, here are a few links that I came across in about 5 minutes of searching. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you think Idaho is a waterfowlers paradise then that's great, I like it for a lot of reasons, including the fact that I get to duck hunt occasionally. But if you think that people are packing up from States like California, Louisiana, Arkansas and Missouri to move to Idaho because of the waterfowling you are on crack. Or you've never hunted there.....


Arizona: download/file.php?id=163281&t=1

From Tennessee, not known to be a "waterfowl paradise": viewtopic.php?f=57&t=385297

West Friggin Virginia: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=395129
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby waveslider » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Top 15 places to hunt waterfowl:
http://www.ducks.org/hunting/destinatio ... fowl/page3


Shhhhhh, they made a mistake and left Idaho off this list. Don't tell anybody. Guess what **** nut, that's because Idaho is at the bottom of a LONG list of better places to hunt waterfowl. Wanna know how I know? I have hunted ducks at 7 of these locations.

Which one was the best? #14 and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind. (1,3,4,6,7,8,14) I've hunted where you can literally shoot a cut shell into the Mississippi on one side and the Missouri on the other. Tough to beat..... Unless you're in Idaho of course.

Well, there's Argentina......
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby cutm Jack » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:12 pm

I just drove over the Missouri River and saw more geese on one Sand bar than I've seen in idaho all season combined. Yesterday I got to see the north platte and countless numbers of mallards and an endless sea of corn fields with more snow geese dropping in. Idaho's cool but people are not going out of their way for the "world class" duck hunting. Most people really are ignorant and sheltered, don't worry your stupid tree fort blind is safe from the oos intruders.
User avatar
cutm Jack
hunter
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:44 pm
Location: Sothwest Idaho

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby Idahoryden » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Idaho is an absolute "Gem" of a duck hunting state for the very reason that it's not even on the map of duck hunting spots. I would agree that worrying about non residents taking over Idaho's public land for waterfowl is a bit far fetched, but I will tell you that Idaho has very respectable numbers of ducks, the most diversity I've ever hunted in (I never shoot all mallards here and often come back with at least 3 different species), the highest daily bag limit (7) of any state I know of, the least restrictions on individual bird limits I know of (most states I've hunted have a mallard limit), an incredibly long season (with no mandatory breaks) that is unmatched by the midwest/eastern states, and guiding is outlawed other than a few outfitters out East that supposedly are grandfathered in. Idaho is vastly underated and I'm all for it staying that way.

On that top 15 list that Wave posted from DU, I would vastly disagree with a few of them which I have hunted in. For one, the habitat improvements in the Mississippi flyway is becoming so good in states Like MO and AR, that places like Lousiana and the Delta are becoming ghost towns. I hunted the delta a few years ago and was aweful as far as numbers, should have saved my money and stayed in Idaho!
Idahoryden
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby waveslider » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 am

Maybe one more picture would get this thread over 1,000 views.

Regardless of where you duck hunt, this is public enemy #1. This guy's jewelry saved probably 50 ducks and countless quail and pheasants.

All part of the clean up effort
Attachments
senor skippy muerte.jpeg
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby Love 2 Takem' » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Nice job on the skunk Waveslider, I think the best thing a waterfowler can do after the season ends is to trap. Last year my son and I trapped a bunch of critters out of Montour. Mink, raccoon and skunks mostly; we hit em pretty hard. Montour is not the best place to duck hunt but there is a lot of breeding habitat in the spring for waterfowl. We like to think it makes up a little for the dent (albeit small) that we put in the duck population. Carry on!
When I hunt I don't feel like I am killing something, I feel like I am keeping something alive.
Love 2 Takem'
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Re: Why we are Really Here

Postby waveslider » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Love 2 Takem' wrote:Nice job on the skunk Waveslider, I think the best thing a waterfowler can do after the season ends is to trap. Last year my son and I trapped a bunch of critters out of Montour. Mink, raccoon and skunks mostly; we hit em pretty hard. Montour is not the best place to duck hunt but there is a lot of breeding habitat in the spring for waterfowl. We like to think it makes up a little for the dent (albeit small) that we put in the duck population. Carry on!


Hear hear!! Nice work on the critters around Montour, every little bit helps. In truth, the ditch cougars are the population most in need of thinning out but the skunks, coons and others are hard on them as well.

I will definitely be wearing them out this year.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm


Return to Idaho Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests