Thought you boys might like this.

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Thought you boys might like this.

Postby Pudeldog » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 am

A little slide show with a blind we built this year, and other water fowl stuff. http://youtu.be/Mvok2EvknsI

A side note/question for yawl. We found out a couple days ago that a land swap happened that basically put our "main" blind on someone else's property. A place we have been hunting for 10+ years. Long story short, we will no longer have sole access, but we were given the option to leave it there and "share" it with the new land owner, and whom ever they give permission to. We still have full access and rights to the opposite side of the river and about 1 1/2 miles of river frontage. Our blind is a 4-5 man shooter, but is not really in good enough shape to take apart and move to the other side. We have had no competition on this spot for the last 5-6 seasons. They offered to purchase it from us. What would you do?
Pudeldog
hunter

Re: Thought you boys might like this.

Postby fetch21 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Great little video. Sounds (and looks) like it will be a real bummer to lose sole access to your spot. Looks like you have had a lot of great hunts there. Buddy up to the new landowner and maybe they won't hand out access to very many new guys.
fetch21
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Too bad, but its not like you can take it, it's on their property. It sounds like they will be nice enough to still let you hunt it sometimes. As suggested, I would make friends with the new owner, maybe offer to help with some fencing or something. If they see you are stand up guys, maybe you will still have most of the access. Then build another blind up or down river a long ways on the other side. That way if the landowner is hunting it, you will have some distance. Good luck next season!
blackrock
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:31 am

Nice blind! Too bad it won't hold up to a move to the other side of the river.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:11 pm

I don't understand, if you brought it in on a flatbed, couldn't you slide it back on and move it? Or did it shift/rot? Also, have you looked into floating it across? Could you redneck it with all manner of floatables and tow it across?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Pudeldog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:02 pm

Well, I guess we (my hunting partners and I), are just not as nice as the rest of you guys. As near as I can tell, we have hunted and managed this spot for 10 plus years. I have chased many a trespasser off, and maybe lost my temper a few times in the process. We lost one blind to a flood, and the rebuilt one survived a couple high water years. The point is we have controlled the pressure and turned this little spot into a piece of waterfowl heaven. In light of the new land swap our ability to control the pressure has been handicapped to say the least. We felt that if we just left our blind there for whom ever to use, they would be more likely to come out as much as they wanted and stay out of the elements at our expense. Much harder to hike out and hide in the weeds. So on the last day of the season after a fine hunt…….

Before. (taken 5 or 6 years ago) and After
Attachments
IMG_0949.JPG
2007075.jpg
Pudeldog
hunter

Postby Pudeldog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:09 pm

waveslider wrote:I don't understand, if you brought it in on a flatbed, couldn't you slide it back on and move it? Or did it shift/rot? Also, have you looked into floating it across? Could you redneck it with all manner of floatables and tow it across?

this is an old blind, not the one we brought in this year. This one has become part of the earth. A few floods over the last few years have rotted out the bottom, and put 5 feet of sediment behind it. 2 years ago, the flood went over the top of the blind, we were lucky it stayed in place. In fact, we had to dig 3-4 feet of mud out of it just to use it. She has been a great blind, hated to see her go. Many good memory's and good times.
Pudeldog
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:37 pm

Well, I guess you burned your bridge...er, blind with the new owners of the property now.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Pudeldog wrote:
waveslider wrote:I don't understand, if you brought it in on a flatbed, couldn't you slide it back on and move it? Or did it shift/rot? Also, have you looked into floating it across? Could you redneck it with all manner of floatables and tow it across?

this is an old blind, not the one we brought in this year. This one has become part of the earth. A few floods over the last few years have rotted out the bottom, and put 5 feet of sediment behind it. 2 years ago, the flood went over the top of the blind, we were lucky it stayed in place. In fact, we had to dig 3-4 feet of mud out of it just to use it. She has been a great blind, hated to see her go. Many good memory's and good times.

OK, I get it now. I thought you were talking about the one built this year.

But I guess I REALLY don't understand, because around here anything that resides on or under the "mean high water mark" (confusing to be sure) is considered public property, including bays and backwaters, so you guys just got to it before everyone else did every morning? If it got buried by a flood (at least any flood around here in the past several years) then wouldn't that qualify under the water mark? I would have assumed it was a first come/first served deal if built on public property? Come to think of it, you can't build stuff like that so I'm not sure how that works. Care to share?
waveslider
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:00 pm

How do you like your Pudelpointer? I think that's what I've settled on for an all around hunting dog.

Great slideshow.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Pudeldog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:20 pm

@waveslider. "Around Here" is a relative comment. I do a lot of hunting in eastern Or. this particular blind in in EO. Trespass laws are not so liberal there. This blind is on a piece of property that you have to pass through 3 different gates, with 2 different land owners to get to. You could try to float to it, but you would be doing a lot of wading and pushing your small craft. So public access has never really been an issue. Your comment on high water mark would not hold up in this area. The two bigger floods in the last 10 years on this spot, covered a number of corn and wheat fields that border the waterway. I am not sure if the farmers would agree that their fields were a first come first serve situation. I wish I had all of the pictures I have taken over the last few years. We have watched the banks, channels, islands, trees, completely change over the years. It really shows the power of nature, and the ever-changing landscape. The long and short of it is this. We will build some new blinds, and hopefully still be able to produce some good green head numbers even with the new competition.
Pudeldog
hunter

Postby Pudeldog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:27 pm

jdinid wrote:How do you like your Pudelpointer? I think that's what I've settled on for an all around hunting dog.

Great slideshow.

I love these dogs. I have two now, and have had 4 over the years. If you hunt every bird our state has to offer, they are tough to beat. I am a big fan of most hunting breads, and have been lucky enough to hunt behind some world class dogs. I don't think PP are any better than any other breed, but I do think you have a better chance of getting an exceptional dog with this breed. Especially living in the Treasure Valley. check this site for info. www.cedarwoodgundogs.com You can PM me anytime if you want some more info.
Pudeldog
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:07 pm

Pudeldog wrote:@waveslider. "Around Here" is a relative comment. I do a lot of hunting in eastern Or. this particular blind in in EO. Trespass laws are not so liberal there. This blind is on a piece of property that you have to pass through 3 different gates, with 2 different land owners to get to. You could try to float to it, but you would be doing a lot of wading and pushing your small craft. So public access has never really been an issue. Your comment on high water mark would not hold up in this area. The two bigger floods in the last 10 years on this spot, covered a number of corn and wheat fields that border the waterway. I am not sure if the farmers would agree that their fields were a first come first serve situation. I wish I had all of the pictures I have taken over the last few years. We have watched the banks, channels, islands, trees, completely change over the years. It really shows the power of nature, and the ever-changing landscape. The long and short of it is this. We will build some new blinds, and hopefully still be able to produce some good green head numbers even with the new competition.

Sounds fun. To be clear, the mean (aka average) high water mark, also known as the ordinary high water mark is not the same as flood mark or flood stage necessarily. As such, the farmers don't really have a say about the public vs private discussion. In Oregon or Idaho for that matter. On navigable streams at least for the most part.

Lots of arguments have ensued from people who build structures on what equates to public land and then attempt to lay claim to it as though it were private.

Sounds like you guys have a good mix of difficult access and low pressure which sounds ideal. The way things are headed you would do well to keep it a secret or you may walk out one day and find someone sitting in "your" blind and not be able to (legally) run them off.
waveslider
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Pudeldog wrote:
jdinid wrote:How do you like your Pudelpointer? I think that's what I've settled on for an all around hunting dog.

Great slideshow.

I love these dogs. I have two now, and have had 4 over the years. If you hunt every bird our state has to offer, they are tough to beat. I am a big fan of most hunting breads, and have been lucky enough to hunt behind some world class dogs. I don't think PP are any better than any other breed, but I do think you have a better chance of getting an exceptional dog with this breed. Especially living in the Treasure Valley. check this site for info. http://www.cedarwoodgundogs.com You can PM me anytime if you want some more info.

Superb. Thank you. I will be in contact at some point.
jdinid
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting