Last day, and I'm taking my turn to vent

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Postby gillnetter_007 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Hunting was fairly good to me this year, even though it was my sophomore year of hunting over decoys.
-Found more places on the Boise River to hunt
-My quack is coming along (if I could only decipher the feeder chuckle)
-Family gave me 8 Avian X floaters
-Shot my first goose
-Shot my first double mallard drake and hen
-Put more birds away in the freezer compared to last year
-Found a new friend to hunt with
-Had some great times hunting this year

On the other hand I came across the same group of backwoods hillbillies that everyone else vents about. Yesterday I made things happen so I could sneak off today before my 3pm calculus class. I was so excited, even though nobody could go with me. Woke up at 0430, left the house at 0500, started packing gear in at 0545, and had everything set up by 0700 with not a sole around me. Then it happened. At 0736 two pickups drove right up to the river one hundred yards down from me. Guys jumped out of rig and my nightmare began. As any bird came within 100 yards of their circle of death 18 blazing gunshots were soon to happen. These clowns didn't even try to conceal themselves either. Standing atop boulders, in the river next to their mojo, but the best part was they concealed themselves when they miraculously hit a bird. You waste all that ammo go get the darn thing! Then came the calling contest. All six schmucks thought it was necessary to blow every call, whistle, and flute they owned. After 3hrs of praying the show would quit, I conceded my last day of the season would end on a ZERO.
gillnetter_007
hunter

Re: Last day, and I'm taking my turn to vent

Postby morty48 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:35 pm

I haven't seen it to that degree but I too have a few head scratching experiences with yahoos. As I sat in a freezing in the blind it dawned on me what it was. It's entitlement and laziness. They should be able to pull right up and limit, I mean how hard could it be right? Well... after 10 minutes of sitting on the shore in their bright red hat, those "Stupid" birds aren't dropping in like they were on the Take'em 11 video they bought the week before, so, frustration starts to set in. Time to blast at anything that moves no matter if it's at the outer limits of their trusty varmint rifle. This is probably when they start laying on the super max Hail call from hell, it has to be super loud because his buddy in the blue hat 5 ft over is still shooting. Unfortunately I don't think these fools are going anywhere, we seem to have generations of them....
This being my first year I learned that this is truly a craft. From scouting and homework down to teaching yourself the patience that is required to not only sit in a cold bush for 4 hours straight, but to know when birds are in range so as not to send another cripple down the river. I went home a few times with nothing but a new hole in my waders, a sticking call and freezing extremities. I'm glad that I have stuck with it. As for those yahoos ... Just remember how many more days are we going to have like I did today with a 7 greenhead limit than them..
morty48
Newb

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:17 am

I think the above and related past stories is why I never tried to hunt the Boise River but I have seen variations of this on the Snake (some of which I had vented about previously). One would think that if someone made the investment of a jet boat and all the accompanying accoutrements they would at least make a positive and proper effort in hunting but alas this is not always the case. Suffice to say that in public hunting areas these "hunters" will always be with us so it would behoove us to educate them whenever possible in one manner or the other. It has been suggested in the past that "Duck Dynasty" has been more of a hindrance to us serious hunters and there may be some truth to that but in actuality we will have these clueless and idiot hunters regardless.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby hntndux » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Man that is Sad..
hntndux
hunter

Postby Brandon_Rad » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:04 pm

This year I was hunting deep in a bay and shot a mallard and walked out to retrieve it and I heated a boat going across the water. I look up and there is a guy on the front with a shotgun and a guy driving right towards a group of Canadians. They didn't stop but sped up and fired away. I've never been so pissed off before. It was a rough day because of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brandon_Rad
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:40 am

Chalk it up to the current sense of entitlement, a general lack of respect for others and sheer ignorance.
jdinid
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:12 pm

jdinid wrote:Chalk it up to the current sense of entitlement, a general lack of respect for others and sheer ignorance.

Or duck dynasty....
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:40 pm

we were hunting on a slough off the side of the main channel of the river one morning. We went early and arrived far before anyone else in the area, usually we will have someone show up on the other end of the slough about 200 yards away, but we kind of get used to tolerating that as long as they don't skybust. With only a few minutes to go before shooting light, a couple of guys come in, set up on the opposite side of the slough, directly across from us and it's no more than 60 yards across. We asked them if they planned to stay there and they said yes, so we got up and walked across the slough and sat beside them. On another occasion we were behind a couple of guys at the parking lot, they hustled off before we got out of our truck, so we could't ask where they were going and make another plan. We watched them walk way off to the south, so we went to our normal spot to the west and set up. They circled around and ended up setting up directly in front of us in a pothole about 100 yards away and started shooting directly at us, we pulled our decoys and left. The first story happened to my dad and me 45 years ago, the second happened this year. The names, locations, and time are different, but the actions and attitudes of some are the same. It's generally a small percentage of people who behave that way and they ruin a lot of hunts for many of the rest of us. With more people duck hunting this year than I've seen in a long time and the nomadic nature of duck hunters with boats, there is going to be some conflict with people just trying to find some place to hunt. It hasn't changed in my lifetime, it's just some years are worse than others, I lost both of my hunting spots this year and will have to find new places to go, which will no doubt put me in someone else's way on occasion. It's more of a matter of how we conduct ourselves when we run into folks under those conditions. The only bad day we had this year was when some guy had his kid out shooting clays for over an hour right across the river from us, I still haven't figured that one out and yes, he knew we were there.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:40 pm

waveslider wrote:
jdinid wrote:Chalk it up to the current sense of entitlement, a general lack of respect for others and sheer ignorance.

Or duck dynasty....

I don't think it's that simple. The behaviors exhibited cross many lines in our culture. I can't blame DD for the rafters who swing into the hole I'm fishing to wait for the rest of them, the garbage I pick up on the bank every year, or the guy playing with his handgun while I'm downrange. Douchey, ignorant behavior has existed for time eternal but I've seen an increase over the last few years.
jdinid
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:05 pm

jdinid wrote:
waveslider wrote:

Or duck dynasty....

I don't think it's that simple. The behaviors exhibited cross many lines in our culture. I can't blame DD for the rafters who swing into the hole I'm fishing to wait for the rest of them, the garbage I pick up on the bank every year, or the guy playing with his handgun while I'm downrange. Douchey, ignorant behavior has existed for time eternal but I've seen an increase over the last few years.

Or I could chalk it up to being a grumpy curmudgeon. :)
jdinid
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Have to agree, it's sad to say but these kind of bagsniffs exist in most sports, activities and walks of life. From the rude snowboarders cursing in front of my kids to guys tramping in when you're fishing streams. Some of the absolute worst I've run across are elk hunting. You get used to these kind of people in parking lots, but I guess what really bothers us is when you run across this when you're really trying to enjoy the sunrise, the solitude and watch the marsh or river come to life as we chase a few ducks!
blackrock
hunter

Postby flashman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 am

Brandon_Rad wrote:This year I was hunting deep in a bay and shot a mallard and walked out to retrieve it and I heated a boat going across the water. I look up and there is a guy on the front with a shotgun and a guy driving right towards a group of Canadians. They didn't stop but sped up and fired away. I've never been so pissed off before. It was a rough day because of that

That is terrible. That said, they were Canada Geese, not Canadian Geese. Off my soap box.
flashman
Newb

Postby waveslider » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:05 am

flashman wrote:
Brandon_Rad wrote:This year I was hunting deep in a bay and shot a mallard and walked out to retrieve it and I heated a boat going across the water. I look up and there is a guy on the front with a shotgun and a guy driving right towards a group of Canadians. They didn't stop but sped up and fired away. I've never been so pissed off before. It was a rough day because of that

That is terrible. That said, they were Canada Geese, not Canadian Geese. Off my soap box.

That's funny. Then again, you don't really know what country they consider their home residence. Seriously though, you have made a grand total of 3 posts and this is the one you went with? Nice, welcome. What was that HaydenHunter was talking about....?

Got any tips for end of the year storage of my Canadian Goose decoys?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby getemducks » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:29 am

I usually hunt during the week so I don't run into that kinda crap very often.
Mini Goose Decoys - Inventor
"Gets the Longnecks closer"

Foamy Log Blind@ Prostaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a LOG!"

I wish I knew half as much, and shot half as many birds as the guys on DHC claim they do...
getemducks
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:45 pm

I concur with getemducks...last season I hunted only weekdays and had zero problems from idiots and this season I had only weekends to hunt and it was noticeably worse.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby gillnetter_007 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Interesting seeing everyones comments. This was the second time these individuals ruined a hunt. I confronted them the first time with no results. What recommendations (legal ones) do you have to make it so miserable for them that they avoid hunting in the location while I am hunting? The location they hunt is a very small, and supposedly a private piece of land on the Boise river. It's so small, that they can only use this one spot to hunt. I've come up with two options. Since they are in my line of fire and 150-200 yards down river, let them get peppered by a bird I shoot at, or take out the john boat, set up right in front of their blind, and blocking them from a opportunity to hunt. The first option is a dangerous and the second is may be childish, but the issue itself lacks morals and ethics of respecting your fellow hunter.
gillnetter_007
hunter

Postby getemducks » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:24 pm

gillnetter_007 wrote:Interesting seeing everyones comments. This was the second time these individuals ruined a hunt. I confronted them the first time with no results. What recommendations (legal ones) do you have to make it so miserable for them that they avoid hunting in the location while I am hunting? The location they hunt is a very small, and supposedly a private piece of land on the Boise river. It's so small, that they can only use this one spot to hunt. I've come up with two options. Since they are in my line of fire and 150-200 yards down river, let them get peppered by a bird I shoot at, or take out the john boat, set up right in front of their blind, and blocking them from a opportunity to hunt. The first option is a dangerous and the second is may be childish, but the issue itself lacks morals and ethics of respecting your fellow hunter.

Set up at lst about 100-150 yards away. Start calling like crazy, make sure it's terrible sounding on purpose. Buy a couple boxes of target steel loads. Start shooting and calling away, it will prolly drive them crazy and cause them not to come back for a while :lol3: beat them at their own game so to speak Lol
Mini Goose Decoys - Inventor
"Gets the Longnecks closer"

Foamy Log Blind@ Prostaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a LOG!"

I wish I knew half as much, and shot half as many birds as the guys on DHC claim they do...
getemducks
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:39 am

blackrock wrote:Have to agree, it's sad to say but these kind of bagsniffs exist in most sports, activities and walks of life. From the rude snowboarders cursing in front of my kids to guys tramping in when you're fishing streams. Some of the absolute worst I've run across are elk hunting. You get used to these kind of people in parking lots, but I guess what really bothers us is when you run across this when you're really trying to enjoy the sunrise, the solitude and watch the marsh or river come to life as we chase a few ducks!

I'm not from Idaho, but can relate to the thread. How you worded that about putting up with it, in say a parking lot, is greatly put. I've never looked at it that way.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby crazyquacked » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:45 am

Wont fix it completely, but call a game warden. Friend of mine had almost that same experience this year. Guys ran their boat right out side his decoys while rallying (illegal, as was chasing those geese mentioned above) birds 3x in one morning. Few days later they were running three electric spinners. Illegal in WA. Game warden was called and was coming to see them. Dont know the outcome.

Many years ago we were standing ON a county road that cut through a wildlife area. Game Warden was looking at our birds and talking to us. Some guy across the marsh peppered the front of my truck. Warden told us he had to go talk to some guys, have a good day :lol3: . He also told us he had already ticketed 2 guys for lead shot and unplugged guns that morning.
crazyquacked
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting