End of the season storage tips....

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

End of the season storage tips....

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:59 am

As always, I'm bummed today. Putting everything away I figured I would start an "End of the Season" tips thread for folks to pile on with their own tips for helping with the chore of storage, repair and prep for next year.

Aside from the tried and true guidelines of making sure that everything is clean and dry before you pack it away wherever you put it, there are a couple additional tips that might help folks:

If you use stretchie bands on your decoys weights, it makes sense to release them from the keel and not store them in the "stretched position". They tend to last longer if you don't keep them stretched.

If you use flocked goose decoys, you can use old socks over the heads to keep the dust off them during storage or go to home depot and by some vinyl sheeting (visqueen) to throw over them.

If you find that your black flocked decoys got dust on them in the off season, DO NOT try to wash it off with a hose, you are better off using an air compressor to "blow" the dust off at high velocity.

Wherever you store your decoys, it doesn't hurt to throw in a little mouse/rat poison and moth balls to keep critters from chewing on bags, cords, etc. The alkaline soil in south and east Idaho attracts a lot of "chewers". Keep out of reach of pets though.

A soft bristle brush and a bucket of soapy water usually is enough to clean decoys. Be gentle, most decoy paint is crap and eaily scrubbed off. Unless you hunted at a irrigation settling pond. Then you are on your own for getting that mud off. Worse than the Salton Sea.

Keep out of direct sunlight.

Any others?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Re: End of the season storage tips....

Postby mtbaughs » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:23 am

Good tips! Especially releasing the stretchy bands on your decoys.

A tradition I am going to try and start this year for myself is to get out and pick up spent shell hulls.
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:25 pm

Good one, we do river clean ups every year and you will be amazed at the amount of junk you will pick up. We keep a trash can (5 gal bucket) in the boat while fishing all year to pick up spent hulls and trash.
waveslider
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Another one I just thought of: Remove and top off any/all batteries from mojos, headlamps, spotlights, etc. Especially if you are going store them for the season. Batteries leak and ruin stuff and you can avoid having to get new batteries for anything rechargeable if you can charge them up over the summer a few times.
waveslider
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:12 pm

Wave, you had mentioned drying everything out and we should mention waders specifically, sometimes we may forget to open them back up from the last time we peeled them off. By habit I always store mine upside down by the boots with no folds or kinks in the body of the waders (especially at the boot connection). If one does not plan on any fishing then the boat engine should be 'summer-ized' making sure all fuel is drain out and light motor oil injected or poured into the cylinder (or as your engine manual suggests). The off-season (and after the light goose and/or turkey season you if are so inclined) is a good time for preventative maintenance for your shotgun. I am still using a 1989 Browning BPS 12ga. 3" pump and the action bars are starting to show some wear and edge pitting so this summer it is off to the gunsmith for an overhaul (the pump action started to hang on me a few times on the last 2 hunts).
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Just thought I would add a correction. If you ever read the directions that some of these decoys come with it specifically says do not use soap. So soapy water would be a bad idea. Most soaps contain UV brighteners which is not what you want on your decoys. I always use a soft bristled brush and just use plain water. I have also had good luck using a cheap black and decker electric pressure washer, the are to weak to damage the paint but just enough to remove the dirt. The pressure washer is also the best thing I have found to clean flocking, it looks just like new again and I have not had a problem with one getting damaged yet.
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Justin300mag wrote:Just thought I would add a correction. If you ever read the directions that some of these decoys come with it specifically says do not use soap. So soapy water would be a bad idea. Most soaps contain UV brighteners which is not what you want on your decoys. I always use a soft bristled brush and just use plain water. I have also had good luck using a cheap black and decker electric pressure washer, the are to weak to damage the paint but just enough to remove the dirt. The pressure washer is also the best thing I have found to clean flocking, it looks just like new again and I have not had a problem with one getting damaged yet.

Good one.
waveslider
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:09 pm

Another tidbit, if you use layout blinds or anything else that you would like to keep clean, you can use the visqueen/vinyl sheeting and wrap up up like a package and tape it off. We do that with our snow camo to keep it looking fresh.

Don't forget to grease the bearings in your decoy and boat trailers, they need it by now.
waveslider
hunter

Postby hnt&fsh » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:14 pm

Probably stating the obvious. Give your shotgun/s a good thorough cleaning. I store mine in one of those silicone impregnated gun socks in the gun safe.

My duck decoys are getting pretty beat up. In the past I have touched them up using decoy paint and brushes of various sizes. Just wondering if any of you have ever used one of those small air brushes? Seems like it may be faster, and once a guy gets the hang of it, produce better results.

Excellent tip on releasing the rubber thing.

FWIW, this past year I experimented a little bit. Even though most people say that using a "Texas Rig" on your decoys is only good if your hunting really shallow water, 2-3 feet, I decided to give it a whirl using 6-7 foot lines. I rigged up a couple dozen just for grins. Worked pretty well. Definitely a lot quicker setting and picking them up. The long lines were kind of a pain at first but then I read a tip on a different forum. The guy was using a piece of black 2" PVC, he would retrieve the decoys and put 8-12 decoys on a caribiner and then once he got to the boat he would take the caribiner off and push all of the lines through the PVC and then re- hook the caribiner. That way the lines are all in the PVC pipe and not getting tangled up with other decoys. I used 5' lengths of PVC and it worked really well. I think that much longer than 6-7 feet and you would just be fighting it.
hnt&fsh
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting