Little help

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Little help

Postby Shadowlawnskysthelimit » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:28 am

Hoping some of you guys/gals can give me a little help ! The wife and I are wanting to move somewhere near the Boise area, possibly this year if not then next year.
I am a CA native of 52 years, yeah I know, anyway, married to a wonderful woman for almost 30 yrs, father of 26 year old son who is a Green Beret, and a 23 yr. old daughter about to finish college. I am a union Elevator/Escalator Mechanic hence part of the reason I need to stay near Boise area; also want to be close enough to visit with son in Washington or vice versa. Am a guy who loves his Lord, Country and family. Definitely not one of the Cali clowns I am sure some of you have met or been around !!!
I have hunted and fished my entire life, it was always a family thing. Love to hunt deer and pigs! Have never killed an Elk, but have harvested a few Antelope.
My true passion has always been hunting ducks and geese ! Love the time spent with buddies in the blind, around the campfire !

So with that said, wondering if you guys can give me your opinions on towns/cities to live that would suit my need of the outdoors, especially the ducks and geese ? I am sure not all towns will be perfect for all fishing and hunting areas; but I currently travel between 3 - 5 hrs. to hunt quackers; so driving some is not a problem. Also looking for places that are pretty safe, not a bunch of tweekers; maybe somewhat rural, with possible waterfront (river/lake). With some " good folks"!!!!!!

Thanks for your feedback
Shadowlawnskysthelimit
Newb

Re: Little help

Postby TROB » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:40 am

CDA is a great spot to live. Ever been up there?
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:47 am

TROB wrote:CDA is a great spot to live. Ever been up there?

How many elevators in CDA? ;)

Come join is in Eagle, it seems to be where all the expats are settling. We have enough liberals though, so please leave them behind.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:32 pm

Otis, Schindler, and ThyssenKrupp all have offices in Boise (they are prospective customers for me) so the Treasure Valley is the place for you to be for elevators. If you settle anywhere within 10 minutes of the Boise airport you will be 5-15 minutes drive from all of their offices (5 minutes depending on which side of the airport you go to).

As I see it most of the public hunting in the valley will be on the waterways; the rivers and I think a few reservoirs (rivers are public up to the high-water mark). Most places can be crowded and we have our share of idiot hunters but when the real cold sets in they pretty much thin out (from my experience). Though a l-o-n-g time waterfowler I have only hunted here 2 seasons and have confined myself to one general public area so some of the native folks will be more knowledgeable.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Agreed you need to move to Boise area. I live in SE Idaho, and it is less crowded, but not much elevator business. Boise is a great town, we will be moving back there. Lots to do, access to hunting and fishing, only a few hours to the central Idaho wilderness etc. Even with all that's changed in real estate, you should be able to buy a nice home in the Boise area for a lot less than what you sell yours for in Cal. Do yourself a favor and budget to buy a reasonable priced jet boat as part of your relocation plan. It will open a lot of areas and options to you for hunting and fishing, trust me on this one. You don't want to be limited to only the shore. If I was you I would take a little summer vacation up here to scope it out. Good luck!
blackrock
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Coeur d'Alene is 30 miles from Spokane. Plenty of elevators there and more than a few in Cd'A.

I moved from Northern Cali in the 90s and would never go back. Love this place. And the hunting in the Idaho Panhandle is less crowded than in the Boise / Treasure Valley area.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby dukkhnter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Shadowlawnskysthelimit wrote: with possible waterfront (river/lake).

Don't by waterfront..unless it is in town already. This is a problem we have up here. Everyone wants to buy waterfront and there is getting to be a lot of houses where there used to be really good hunting!
dukkhnter
hunter

Postby whiskerbiscuit » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:35 pm

dukkhnter wrote:
Shadowlawnskysthelimit wrote: with possible waterfront (river/lake).

Don't by waterfront..unless it is in town already. This is a problem we have up here. Everyone wants to buy waterfront and there is getting to be a lot of houses where there used to be really good hunting!

Waterfront houses dont alter if I hunt there or not. In fact, I'd rather hunt the river under their back porch just to show those yuppies a lesson. Just make sure not to pepper or shoot towards them.
whiskerbiscuit
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Really? Interesting tactic. How's that working out for ya? Adding to the ranks I imagine. I'm with you, we need to teach those waterfront owning, tree huggers a lesson.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Brandon_Rad » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:43 pm

A lot of people that own property near the water think they actually own the water. We get a lot of cops called on us even when we are below the high water mark. I even have problems fishing in the summer. We often get told to stop fishing by people's docks in the summer and we just say we didn't know you can own the water. They never like that response. This is off topic but that is my two cents about waterfront property
Brandon_Rad
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Where are y'all hunting and fishing? First off, I don't hunt below people's houses, but I will flip around structure in front of people's houses when fishing, and I have never been confronted by a property owner.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby crazyquacked » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:39 pm

whiskerbiscuit wrote: Waterfront houses dont alter if I hunt there or not. In fact, I'd rather hunt the river under their back porch just to show those yuppies a lesson. Just make sure not to pepper or shoot towards them.

Then you are going to be part of the reason some areas get shut down when the waterfront owners get together and petition for no shooting areas. Already happening here. Even though home owners dont own the water, the counties have no problem giving them a safety/no shooting zone. Even though I hunt rivers and have argued with a couple land owners, it is pretty darn rude to start shooting 30 yards from someones porch at 6AM. I have seen exactly that, and suddenly understood why the home owner has always been so pissed of when he sees duck hunters near his place.

Win the battle and lose the war............ :fingerhead:
crazyquacked
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Wow, I think this thread is getting a little off topic! It seems obvious that common courtesy, good manners and common sense will be better for our sport and the reputation of hunters as ethical sportsmen than "teaching liberal landowners a lesson". Please don't pull that s*** where I live. How old are you guys anyway?
blackrock
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Exactly BlackRock.

Our own personal rule of thumb is that we don't hunt within 350 yrds of an occupied residence and if we are shooting in the direction of the house (say, from across the river pointing back towards the house) then we take that out to 400-450 yrds. Once we meet the landowner and talk with them to see if they mind, then we MIGHT get a little closer but honestly, its rarely worth the difference of a couple hundred yards.

I'm not saying that's the right answer for everyone or the minimum distance, that's just what works for us and haven't had a single complaint yet.
waveslider
hunter

Postby blackrock » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:55 pm

I think wave has pretty well summed up how we should be behaving when hunting waterways near where folks live.......when we hunt the river near where people live, these are the same guys that have coffee with my father in law, and control huge tracts of land, many of which we hunt........
blackrock
hunter

Postby whiskerbiscuit » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:35 pm

crazyquacked wrote:
whiskerbiscuit wrote: Waterfront houses dont alter if I hunt there or not. In fact, I'd rather hunt the river under their back porch just to show those yuppies a lesson. Just make sure not to pepper or shoot towards them.

Then you are going to be part of the reason some areas get shut down when the waterfront owners get together and petition for no shooting areas. Already happening here. Even though home owners dont own the water, the counties have no problem giving them a safety/no shooting zone. Even though I hunt rivers and have argued with a couple land owners, it is pretty darn rude to start shooting 30 yards from someones porch at 6AM. I have seen exactly that, and suddenly understood why the home owner has always been so pissed of when he sees duck hunters near his place.

Win the battle and lose the war............ :fingerhead:

So you don't hunt places in fear it will become a no shooting zone? Weird
whiskerbiscuit
hunter

Postby crazyquacked » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:02 am

Sorry,havent been on here in a while.
Yeah, I dont hunt right in front of houses , so that MILES of shoreline doesnt get shut down, instead of 200 yards. Or the entire lake, like has haoppened here in places..And Washington has no set rule on distances. Most dont seem to get upset if you are a 100 yards or so away, but i dont want to see a 250 yard REQUIREMENT. Yeah, I know, weird. :fingerhead:
crazyquacked
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:44 am

With Duck Dynasty sill on the air and not cancelled, this debate will continue......
waveslider
hunter

Postby threedogs » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:34 pm

waveslider wrote:With Duck Dynasty sill on the air and not cancelled, this debate will continue......

Cancelling that idiotic should would be the latest best thing to happen for our sport .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting