Cabelas

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Cabelas

Postby goosepond » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:01 am

Well they announced it yesterday, Cabelas is building a 41,000 sqft store in Ammon, corner of Hitt and Sunnyside. To be open in 2015 and start building this spring. Wonder how it will impact Sportsmans Warehouse being that close. They will employee 90 full time and temp employees.

Whats everyones thoughts on this coming to Ammon?
goosepond
hunter

Re: Cabelas

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:56 am

it will impact sportsmans big time in the short term, but a little competition never hurt anyone, especially the consumer. Customer service is never any better than the people you hire, so there really is no prediction how the ammon store will be. Customer service at the Boise Cabelas isn't great. I lean more toward Cabelas since they carry tanglefree gear and decoys and tanglefree pays my bills. I remember when sportsmans rolled into town and intermountain arms went down, then Cabelas came and sportsmans struggled. Once the new wears off, it will be down to who takes care of their customers better and who has the best prices.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby dams10ww » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:59 am

I did some checking and it will be smaller than the one in Boise is. According to Cabela's website the Boise ID store is like 132,000 sq ft. So the Ammon one will be a third of the size, I'm always disappointed when I go to the Boise store it seems like they never have anything in stock when I go to check something out, (doesn't matter the time of year either). It will be nice though to have a local place to pick stuff up, when I ship to store and save myself a few bucks.
dams10ww
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:10 am

Well that's interesting, I like cruising through Cabelas. I usually do more browsing than actual buying but still. Good way to burn some time when I'm stuck in IF working. It will destroy Sportsman's Warehouse but that place is not that great anyway. It will bring more travelers off the freeway in to IF too.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby dams10ww » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:38 am

Everyone keeps saying it will destroy sportsmans wharehouse, I think it will do the exact opposite, sportsmans just got in a new general manager who seems to have her head on straight, (the last guy was an idiot), there gun prices will be way cheaper than cabelas and it will make sportsmans step up their game like the meridian store has done. Competition is healthy and makes each store push to be the very best. It will be interesting to see what they do to stay competitive.
dams10ww
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:14 am

I have a hard time seeing Sportsman's florishing 2 blocks from a new Cabelas but to each their own. I don't buy guns from either, I prefer my favorite mom and pop gun shops where I know the guys and it still smells like Hoppes 9! However, my wife bought my son a new A400 for Christmas at Cabelas for lke $200 less than Sportsman's had it........also some pretty poor decoys at Sportsman's and too much Avery stuff. I do agree that competition is good for us in the long run.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:56 pm

Ah!
Hoppes 9. Nothing says sporting gun quite like it.
The perfume of choice! Beats Old Spice in the blind.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:07 am

And as Sam Walton peaks though the Clouds , he's thinking ( what have I done ) , is what I'm thinking ?

I agree , if it doesn't smell like Hoppes , it's not a gun Shop !
3200 man
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:46 pm

I like Cabelas for some things, but I find myself hardly ever shopping there anymore. We had a Sportsman's that turned into something else that was owned by the same company I think? Anyways it ended up going out of business after Cabelas came into town. Luckly a local sporting goods store Blacksheep bought the building and they are doing even better than ever. I think any business as long as they are smart can benefit from some healthy competition. Cabelas quality and prices are not what they used to be at all, so if Sportsmans plays its cards right it might help their business in the long run.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby woodduck31 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Cabelas is laying off employees at the boise store, calling it seasonal layoffs, but several of the employees have been there over 5 years that have been laid off, so it's really not a seasonal thing. The employee issues have been ongoing since the boise store lost their first manager to promotion. It also may be necessary for the expenses of opening new stores to cut staff in existing ones. I do know I can walk around in the boise cabelas from one end to another without every being approached or even greeted by an employee asking if I need help, I haven't been able to do that within the first 30 feet of walking into home depot, almost to the point that it's annoying, but I'd rather have too much customer service than too little.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby goosepond » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:29 am

Woooduck, or maybe it has to do with Cabela's having to pony up more and cost more for Obamacare that the large big business's are having to pay for. Other large retailers are having to lay employees off due to higher costs there.
goosepond
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:35 am

I really don't have much choice but to love cabela's. They are just about the only place that make Tall sized camo gear. The Cabelas brand gear has dropped in quality a bit but overall they fit the bill. Sportsman's does some things well.

If I remember right, the Wal Mart in Idaho Falls has a fly shop so its not like you guys will get hurt by the competition.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:18 pm

I wonder if they'll have a better selection of ammo than Sportsman's.
This last year, I often found certain common shotshells reduced to a single brand, take it or leave it!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:01 pm

jjohnson,

I just read today that Sportsmans is probably coming back into Spokane, but it will be on Division Street - ugh!

I really liked Sportsmans back in the day but they seemed to be in a competition with Cabelas to open stores in every corner of the west. Then the great recession hit, and they were caught in the trap of being too highly leveraged with while their sales declined. They went into Chapter 11 bankruptcy, sold approximately 1/3 of their stores to Warehouse Sports (a Canadian company), closed 1/3 and held on to 1/3. I sincerely hope they learned their lesson and that they have emerged with a sustainable business plan. Not all companies survived what Sportsmans went through. I was a fan of Joe's, who went Chapter 7...done.

Black Sheep in Coeur d'Alene is a great example of a local merchant hanging on with sound business decisions, a great standing with the locals, and with knowledgeable sales help. Unfortunately, they are skewed toward fishing and big game. Their waterfowl offering is practically nonexistent.

I hope Sportsmans makes a comeback to the kind of operation they once were...when I patronized them frequently.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby goosepond » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:58 am

Fsbirdhouse wrote:I wonder if they'll have a better selection of ammo than Sportsman's.
This last year, I often found certain common shotshells reduced to a single brand, take it or leave it!

Nothing better or cheaper on ammo than Rogers Sporting Goods and most of the time on specials, free shipping. They beat Sportsman's and Cabelas all over the place recently on their adds. And best part of it, no tax :) Same with many many many other products too.
goosepond
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:43 am

Fsbirdhouse wrote:I wonder if they'll have a better selection of ammo than Sportsman's.

Same here... shopping at Sportsman in early January and found my favorite shells non-existent in my gauge and shot, in fact almost all gauges and shot size of that style and brand were missing with only the high-price ammo available (I went elsewhere). In retrospect it may be that since many retail stores do inventory at the end of January they were probably worried about having excess stock, maybe an unfortunate timing of that and the approaching end of duck season; but this type of thinking will have a negative affect if you don't carry what many folks want when they need it.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:39 am

Couldn't find a hundred pack of low base 7 1/2s last summer either, then again, Wal Mart ran out of the Fed 100 packs they always have on hand too.

I shop for ammo at Sportsman's because the kids always give Dad a $50 gift card from there at Christmas, and I almost always have another one for $50 from the DU banqets I attend here.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting