Looking for some in state advice

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Looking for some in state advice

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:11 am

Just visiting ID forum and thought I'd pose a question to you guys. My father lives in Cd'A area and I'm trying to get him on a good diver hunt in his neck of the woods. He's doing the scouting/learning in his area.(I'm in Tri-Cities,WA). Just wanted to know where you guys thought the best diver hunting is in your state, general areas of course as I've never hunted there. Keeping retirement options open in the future. Pretty satisfied with my area for now. Don't mind paying the OOS fees, their unfairly lower then ours :beer: . Anyone care to point to which parts of the state a guy can diver hunt?
"We're calling, because the birds won't respond to texts."- Jim Ronquest, RNT-V
Columbia Basin, home of the sagebrush duck blind!

Cody
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Re: Looking for some in state advice

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:28 am

In all honesty we have divers pretty much everywhere here in the late season. When we focus on them, we use a diver spread and usually have really good luck with redheads and bluebills. The bills especially will only decoy well into our divers. They will in the puddle dekes too, but not as consistently
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby HaydenHunter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:20 am

^^^What he said^^^

Primary species Redhead and Bluebills but you'll take a Goldeneye, too (occasionally a Barrows) if you have Goldeneye decoys also.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. My dad has mentioned the amount of Reds in the Cd'A area. In the Basin area we have mostly BB, buffs,and GE. Year to year decent numbers of cans and a few Reds. Hunter partner and I are covered when it comes to diver dekes :thumbsup:, about 25 doz combined! As long as the numbers are there I won't rule out retiring anywhere in the Northwest. Still got many years to go but divers are pretty much all we hunt!
"We're calling, because the birds won't respond to texts."- Jim Ronquest, RNT-V
Columbia Basin, home of the sagebrush duck blind!

Cody
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting