Possible Idaho resident after Military

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Possible Idaho resident after Military

Postby mudlickman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Hey guys I am looking at accepting a new job in either Lewiston, Pocatello, or Idaho Falls after being in the AF for the past 5 years. Just wondering what kind of waterfowl hunting you guys do in those spots? The main reason im asking is to see if I should sell my sneak boat before I leave New Jersey. Thanks for all the info in advance!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
mudlickman
hunter

Re: Possible Idaho resident after Military

Postby mudlickman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Dont be bashful guys and gals.. also how are the laws with atv use on public hunting ground for elk/deer hunting?

mudlickman
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:45 am

Most people hunt the snake river with a larger boat equipped with a jet around the snake. I don't live in any of the fore mentioned cities but I would imagine you could find some use for your sneak boat in any of those areas.

By use of quads I hope you mean the large muscular group found in the legs. We have mountain in Idaho, lots of them. We have mountain ranges nearly bigger and longer than the entire state of NJ. Plenty of room to stretch the legs or quads. I am biased about the use of ATVs, obviously. Different areas have different regulations. Typically they must be kept on dirt roads or approved trails off road or off trail travel is prohibited and is a violation. Even some trails/roads are closed during certain parts of the year. For that reason I hate them. Deer/elk don't spend a lot of time near roads and trails. They are loud and annoying devices and animals learn quickly to avoid the sound of a quad humming along. I think the statistic is about 75% of hunters have them and use them. ATV and Boating use is regulated by the Idaho Parks and Recreation department and have maps. Get a backpack and hike, get horses and ride. Either way you will see more animals.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby mudlickman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks for the input. I am from Indiana originally and used to make the drive out to Colorado to hunt in gunnison nf. I guess just due to the layout there quads were great to have when you are hunting 3 or 4 miles from camp.

I have a 15 hp Yamaha on my sneak boat. Is the snake river just a trap for lower units?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mudlickman
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:50 pm

the most frustrating thing I see with quads is the rampant road hunting. There is nothing more frustrating than hiking 2 miles up a steep gated road to find a dirt bike parked near the turkey roost you had scouted out. There is nothing more frustrating than having a big gobbler working his way in, only to be scared off by a couple of wheelers heading up a closed road. I don't have a problem with atv use as long as they are used ethically and legally. We use atv's a lot to access areas we can't reach otherwise, but we park them at the gate and hunt on foot. I don't elk or deer hunt, but can only imagine how much worse the abuse is during those seasons.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby mudlickman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:18 pm

Totally agree woodie.. what kind of duck hunting do you usually do? Whats your input as far as a sneak boat getting used around there? Can you have much success without a boat? Obviously field hunting wont be in my arsenal for a while due to not knowing anybody around there yet.

mudlickman
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:18 pm

I diver hunt exclusively, but will shoot a mallard or wigeon if absolutely nothing else is flying. I can't really tell you much about the use of any kind of boat, we hunt on foot nearly every time we go out. There are a lot of guys on here with more experience with boats.
woodduck31
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting