What do we do in the off season?

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

What do we do in the off season?

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:23 pm

We drag out the old G&H 747s and flock the heads and tails.
Look better now than they did when they were new.
The full body, and floater duck decoys are next.
Went down and bought the base paint and an airbrush today, ordering the different colored flocks tomorrow.
Mojos are getting it too!
You know, it's kinda tedious, but it's fun at the same time.
I can understand how the old timers used to put their heart into making their own decoys.
I may not be making any from scratch, but it's nice to start the season with a set of sharp looking decoys!

Last edited by Fsbirdhouse on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Re: What do we do in the off season?

Postby woodduck31 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:31 pm

tedious is an understatement. We just finished flocking and painting 200 decoys that are headed to New Zealand, there season starts in May.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:13 pm

woodduck31 wrote:tedious is an understatement. We just finished flocking and painting 200 decoys that are headed to New Zealand, there season starts in May.

I'm expecting to do touch-ups every two to three years, depending on use.
I'm retired, and it's great Winter work. Especially when the good hunts you've had with them are still fresh in your mind.
Last season wasn't all that great, but there were still some memorable hunts to feed the passion!

What species are primarily hunted in Nes Zealand?
How is the hunting there generally?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:38 am

mostly mallards, pacific blacks, blonde mallards, paradise ducks and hybrids.

I think the limit is 25 a day on ducks and unlimited on canada geese in some regions. with limits like that I can't believe that flocked decoys make that much difference, but an outdoor writer did a year long study with flocked decoys and published two articles about their effectiveness last year.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:36 pm

Don,

Don't they also have a black swan season over there? I seem to remember a friend that went over there and hunted black swans. They were like 747s flying into the decoys.

Have you guys done any decoys for that season? That would be cool.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:48 pm

nothing other than duck decoys. Shipping is prohibitive, about $135 per dozen duck decoys to ship to New Zealand through the post office, $450 through fedex. I think spending that on a couple of swan decoys would get your attention real quick.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:25 pm

woodduck31 wrote:mostly mallards, pacific blacks, blonde mallards, paradise ducks and hybrids.

I think the limit is 25 a day on ducks and unlimited on canada geese in some regions. with limits like that I can't believe that flocked decoys make that much difference, but an outdoor writer did a year long study with flocked decoys and published two articles about their effectiveness last year.

I presume the duck to the far left of the picture is what you named as a Pacific Black? Green bill?
That drake mallard in the center of picture is what I'm shooting for with my floaters and full body GHG duck dekes. I have my work cut out as I just got my airbrush the other day and I have to learn my way into this!
But I won't stop 'til I have what I want.
You are an inspiration.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:53 am

pacific black ducks are kind of a masked version of our american black duck along with a variety of bill color due to hybridization. I think they commonly call them grey ducks.

Airbrush is a rubbing your tummy/patting your head proposition. It takes a lot of time to get used to working it, but it will just all of the sudden click in your head. I have over 25,000 hours on an airbrush and I learn new things every day about it.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:41 pm

Just flocked the heads and painted the chestnut color on these full body GHGs.
These were first two attempts. And now for the rest of the bodies on them.

Nowhere near what WoodDuck31 does, but I think they'll do by the time a get a couple more under my belt.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Drake Drayage » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:45 am

Do you guys find that reflocking lasts any longer or less than an out of box flocked head?.. I have a bunch of Dakotas that need to be reflocked - I'm debating just buying replacement heads vs reflocking them. Thoughts?
Shade Prostaff
Blackberry Kazoo Boy Productions
Drake Drayage
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Do yourself!
It might work into one of the most enjoyable off-season things you ever find to do.

Remember.....Our sport is one filled with heritage and tradition, and decoys and working, on them stand right near the top of the list.
Check out the duck decoy thread, and see what some of the real masters like woodduck31, Mean Gene and others are doing in their shops and garages!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:47 pm

woodduck31 wrote:mostly mallards, pacific blacks, blonde mallards, paradise ducks and hybrids.

Any way I could look at that study? Very interesting.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:07 am

I don't remember which issues, but two articles were published in NZ Hunter magazine last year about using flocked decoys.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 pm

woodduck31 wrote:I don't remember which issues, but two articles were published in NZ Hunter magazine last year about using flocked decoys.

What was his verdict? I'm assuming they help, but by how much?
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:26 pm

The article speaks positively about the effectiveness of flocking, especially in field hunting where they felt like they made the most difference. I do not like to promote the use of flocking anywhere in the southwest part of idaho, flocking does not work whatsoever anywhere on the snake river or it's tributaries.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:44 am

woodduck31 wrote:The article speaks positively about the effectiveness of flocking, especially in field hunting where they felt like they made the most difference. I do not like to promote the use of flocking anywhere in the southwest part of idaho, flocking does not work whatsoever anywhere on the snake river or it's tributaries.

Humm? :wink:
Why would flocking not work on the water?
Shine and glare, are shine and glare anywhere!
So are good sharp colors I would think, but there are those who talk of all black decoys too!

Guess I'll be trying out flocked floaters on the Snake here in E Idaho, as well as it's tribs.
Considering the old floaters I have, it can't be anything but a positive.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby mtbaughs » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Interesting! I'd also like to hear your insight on not using flocking near the snake?
mtbaughs
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:07 pm

I honestly just don't want to compete with someone else who has flocked decoys. My comment was more or less tongue in cheek.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby bellison4 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:01 pm

What's the best way to remove worn flocking so you can get a good connection with the new flocking?
bellison4
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:03 pm

Posted this in decoy thread also,

Hoping for a little help from the guys that know.
I'm using Rust OLeum paint as an adhesive for my flock, and mixing it to match flock color used in hopes that as it wears, the paint below it will extend times between touch ups.

But here's what I have found in experimenting with it.
If I paint and then apply flock (Which I do by hand over shallow Tub a Ware bin), and then immediately take my air nozzle at 90 PSI at about twenty inches distance from surface, it doesn't smear paint at all, but really drives the flock into the paint for good adhesion, and flattens every fibre down into it so much so that every nuance of feather detail really stands out, while giving a nice even look to the flocking. Wish I'd done it to the green heads on these as well.

My question is....Is this what others do as well?

Though the flanks on this decoy look light, the color seems well within the range of many mallards, as is the live bird pictured below, and if so, then I'm going for max visibility!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby akfireman1422 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:42 pm

This is how I keep up my skills in the off season.
Attachments
Dave Duck Hunt.jpg
akfireman1422
Newb

Postby coruptone » Sun May 04, 2014 10:25 pm

bellison4 wrote:What's the best way to remove worn flocking so you can get a good connection with the new flocking?

all i do is wash the flocked area with dish soap. just a small amount in the bathtub and a brush. Let dry for a good 24hr and you are good to go. I use rustolem oil based paint and shoot flocking on to that. Sometimes you may have heads that have small spots that are bad,just paint those spots and flock. tapping the heads will knock off any excess flocking. let it dry and if it looks thin just add more paint on top of the flocking and reflock. :thumbsup:
coruptone
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon May 12, 2014 11:51 am

You Idaho Hunter's that flock your dec's better not let birds land in your spread , with decoys that look so flocking good ,

You could be shooting one and not know it ? :huh: :thumbsup:

Right Jim ? :beer:
3200 man
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon May 12, 2014 1:23 pm

3200 man wrote:You Idaho Hunter's that flock your dec's better not let birds land in your spread , with decoys that look so flocking good ,

You could be shooting one and not know it ? :huh: :thumbsup:

Right Jim ? :beer:

My decoys are riddled with holes. For me, shooting a duck on the water that I have finished all the way into the middle of my spread is the pinnacle of the sport. The more holes my decoys have at the end of the season the better.

Now, if I could just get OTHERS (ahem, South Carolina) to get with that program vs. jumping on every bird that flies by, we would have a lot more even playing field! :lol3:
waveslider
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you find yourself afield with a certain hunter currently residing in SC, I do NOT recommend being the person in the "back" who has to rely on the constraint of said person in order to shoot your birds.......

Especially if they are hens.... :grooving:
waveslider
hunter

Next

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting