Moving to CDA

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Moving to CDA

Postby Drake Drayage » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Hello Idaho,

Just introducing myself... hello, my name is Ben. I currently live on the wet side of Washington just outside of Tacoma, however I've recently taken a job in CDA and will be moving there in a couple weeks. I have a lot of family in the area - and have always considered N. Idaho a place I wanted to call home - just needed the right job. So, it's done! I'm very excited... big move, big decision, but very excited! My passion is archery elk. I've been chasing Roosevelts for a long time and can't wait to scout some new areas and big bulls. I've got my kids' college fund wrapped up in bass gear, needless to say its an addiction. I've fished many areas for bass between Priest and CDA - love them all! It'll be great to live close to the excellent bass fisheries. Add in deer, bear, wolf, turkey and its easy to see why this is a great place for sportsman. Don't worry - I won't tell anybody else :no: :hammer: :biggrin:

Probably my biggest challenge with the move is learning how the birds work in the areas... I basically know nothing about the waterfowl and upland opportunities in the panhandle. But, scouting blind can be a lot of fun! I've spent years hunting tidal marshes and mud flats for less than optimal, and way over pressured, duck hunting. When I say mud flats - I mean mud you can lose your dog in (ah forget it - I can never explain it well enough to do it justice). Let's just say that I've seen a guy lose his waders cause he got stuck up to his chest and the tide was coming in... no lie! And sorry to say, this guy is my friend :rolleyes: . It'll be good to hunt an area without "salt" - easier on the gear and guns. It'll be good to hunt something without tides... But I have no idea how its gonna go down. Opening day here is like navigating Seattle rush hour traffic on the water. Guys keep coming in 1/2 hour after dawn, setting up 80 yards next you. I have no clue if I'm gonna see this type of hype in the panhandle or not... And being on DHC long enough, anything you say is only 23% accurate so don't bother :tongue: ; can't say I blame ya - I've been responding to post just like this for years.

Anyhow, I hope you don't mind me moving on in uninvited :hi: . But I can assure you I bring zero drama, no blue state ideals, but I do bring a whole lot of desire to scout/hunt the entire state. I'll send out a hail call soon to see if anyone wants to tag along on some scouting trips... I'll be scouting with my bass rods in tow for a while :hammer:

Have a good one! :beer:
Shade Prostaff
Blackberry Kazoo Boy Productions
Drake Drayage
hunter

Re: Moving to CDA

Postby Erie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Stop asking for spots.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby PNWGator » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:39 pm

Welcome to the Inland Empire! Great place to call home. :)
PNWGator
hunter

Postby jdinid » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Erie wrote:Stop asking for spots.

And I would like to echo Erie's cheery "hello"!
jdinid
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:32 am

Welcome to Idaho! Ignore weeds like Erie. Google maps and it sounds like you have a boat, its not hard to find the spots and the birds!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Erie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:56 am

blackrock wrote:Welcome to Idaho! Ignore weeds like Erie. Google maps and it sounds like you have a boat, its not hard to find the spots and the birds!

Actually I'm not a weed at all, I just happen to know the natural progression of these types of "welcome posts." Drake and I have shared many hunts together both in the lower 48 and in Canada so "weed" I am not. I saw his posts was viewed over 100x with no reply indicating to me the internet scouters are still strong on this thread as such I posted the standard "stop asking for spots" which does exactly what I knew it would do, someone else jumps on the bandwagon of "giving spots away" and now the thread has 2 replies. Typically the progression of these threads will go as such:

OP introduces himself
1-3 weeks worth of "stop internet scouting" posts
And then this is when it really takes a turn around 2-3 weeks into the thread. Typically the few dozen or so few guys on this forum start to feel bad for the OP and start posting useful knowledge to the OP on spots and areas. Don't believe me? Go look for yourself....every single thread has this same progression all I was trying to do was expedite the OPs thread trough the first two weeks of "stop asking for spots, gas and a map" type posts.

You just happened to post about 2 weeks before normal but I'm willing to bet you read this post or at least looked at it more than once before seeing my post and feeling compelled to post. I know the game and if it makes me a weed for trying to help bump my buddies thread so be it.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby Drake Drayage » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Hahaha... wow! Who stole the meat out of Erie's sandwich this morning!!! :hammer: :help: Yes, Erie is not a weed - GREAT guy!

Well, thanks for looking out for me Erie... it is odd that I didn't get a simple " :welcome: " before a 100 views. But if you tell everyone how much hunting we do, they're definitely not gonna want to say hello :lol3: . I would have figured Idaho to be a little friendlier, but many duck hunters go silent the minute someone else has the resources and desire to potentially compete for a small area. But, I was clear to be NOT asking for spots, but oh well... Yes I have a boat, and this isn't my first rodeo. Boat, dekes, dog, gun... I'm good.

You know something is up when the main page has more classified ads than actual duck hunt threads. :huh:

...and clearly not worried about spots, I'm sure Erie is so disappointed he's configured some military algorithm to mine all social media data with respect to duck hunting spots in the panhandle and he'll be publishing a full video report for everyone soon :fingerhead: . Stay tuned...
Shade Prostaff
Drake Drayage
hunter

Postby Erie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:23 pm

Drake Drayage wrote:I'm sure Erie is so disappointed he's configured some military algorithm to mine all social media data with respect to duck hunting spots in the panhandle and he'll be publishing a full video report for everyone soon :fingerhead: . Stay tuned...

You know me too well. :yes: Found some decent stuff, lets talk at skeet Tuesday?
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Looks like Drake has already found the 'Spot'.
It's sandwiched in between 6 other states, and another country.

Don't know about big game, but if you truely have friends here, you'll do OK on the birds.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby bellison4 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Welcome to cda from a Ben to another Ben, there are plenty of great places to get out and enjoy the outdoors around here.
bellison4
hunter

Postby bellison4 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Speaking of Canada do u guys have any advice for free lance hunting in Manitoba?
bellison4
hunter

Postby Erie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:51 pm

bellison4 wrote:Speaking of Canada do u guys have any advice for free lance hunting in Manitoba?

Stop asking for spots
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:08 pm

Erie wrote:
bellison4 wrote:Speaking of Canada do u guys have any advice for free lance hunting in Manitoba?

Stop asking for spots

Lol!
jdinid
hunter

Postby bellison4 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm not trying to get spots I have hookups in Manitoba and north idaho. I was just asking if u guys had any experience there?
bellison4
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:46 pm

bellison4 wrote:I'm not trying to get spots I have hookups in Manitoba and north idaho. I was just asking if u guys had any experience there?

If you have hookups in Manitoba, then why exactly are you looking for advice for free-lancing in Manitoba.

Stop asking for spots.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Drake Drayage » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...oh boy, here we go. thread hijack! My advice for Mannitoba - read the DU magazine on proper goose spread etiquette, and don't let Erie talk you out of it, eh.
Shade Prostaff
Drake Drayage
hunter

Postby Drake Drayage » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:53 pm

and waveslider, that's a damn fine signature!!!
Shade Prostaff
Drake Drayage
hunter

Postby Erie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:57 pm

Drake Drayage wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...oh boy, here we go. thread hijack! My advice for Mannitoba - read the DU magazine on proper goose spread etiquette, and don't let Erie talk you out of it, eh.

Psshhhhhhh Im pretty sure it was Toolman who wanted to utilize the "octopus" spread the whole damn trip…... :no:
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:51 am

Ben if you don't mind still paying for a Washington License your more than welcome to come along with me some time. Spokane isn't too far away from CDA :thumbsup:
eagles2069
hunter

Postby Drake Drayage » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:03 pm

eagles2069 wrote:Ben if you don't mind still paying for a Washington License your more than welcome to come along with me some time. Spokane isn't too far away from CDA :thumbsup:

ABSOLUTELY!!! In fact, I'm way ahead of ya Scotty - I sent you a PM a couple weeks ago, let me know if you got it. I'll have Washington tags this year for sure.

We'll talk more!
Shade Prostaff
Drake Drayage
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:22 pm

Sorry I missed that one from you! I don't know how but I had the messages in my inbox but didn't show as a new message so I skipped over them!
eagles2069
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Get a room already.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Abomb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:59 am

:welcome: PM sent.
Abomb
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:25 am

Welcome. I think you will like the waterfowling around here. Once you learn the ropes and the places to go you should have combat-free hunts...unless you are taking the easy route and hunting the most obvious places. It's all public and the hunting can be good if you put in the time.

I think you'll like the people of Cd'A too.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Drake Drayage » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:44 pm

HaydenHunter wrote:Welcome. I think you will like the waterfowling around here. Once you learn the ropes and the places to go you should have combat-free hunts...unless you are taking the easy route and hunting the most obvious places. It's all public and the hunting can be good if you put in the time.

I think you'll like the people of Cd'A too.

Thanks HaydenHunter! I got into town Sunday night and have been smiling ever since! I was able to get on the water today, bass rod in tow... lots of ducks. :banana: LOTS OF DUCKS! kind of surprised to see that many, but good sign. And, no, didn't see a bass... fun to get out though!

I'm too stubborn to take the easy route - looks like Ill be fine! :smile:
Shade Prostaff
Drake Drayage
hunter

Next

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting