Another new guy.

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Another new guy.

Postby fixed blade » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi fellas, in 3 weeks im bringing my family to join your great state. After reading some posts here I dont want to tell you where im coming from. Lol. Jk, im a utard. Ive always felt like I didnt belong here. When neither me, or my son drew a general season dear tag I said f you Utah. We love all hunting, birds and big game. I cant wait to actually archery hunt bull elk during the rut, man thats going to be weird. Like most people have stated utah does have its fair share of slob hunters, and they make me sick. I cant even begin to tell how much of their crap I pick up when hunting and camping. I almost threw down with a doosh bag driving his 4 wheeler through a high mountain marsh. Anyway can wait to read your posts, and share my hunts as well. Looks like I will need to buy a non res tag this year.

Quick question, are my hunting rigs going to be messed with if I dont change my Utah tags right off the bat?

One other thing, I apologize for my horrible spelling and grammar.
fixed blade
hunter

Re: Another new guy.

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:56 pm

fixed blade wrote:Hi fellas, in 3 weeks im bringing my family to join your great state. After reading some posts here I dont want to tell you where im coming from. Lol. Jk, im a utard. Ive always felt like I didnt belong here. When neither me, or my son drew a general season dear tag I said f you Utah. We love all hunting, birds and big game. I cant wait to actually archery hunt bull elk during the rut, man thats going to be weird. Like most people have stated utah does have its fair share of slob hunters, and they make me sick. I cant even begin to tell how much of their crap I pick up when hunting and camping. I almost threw down with a doosh bag driving his 4 wheeler through a high mountain marsh. Anyway can wait to read your posts, and share my hunts as well. Looks like I will need to buy a non res tag this year.

Quick question, are my hunting rigs going to be messed with if I dont change my Utah tags right off the bat?

One other thing, I apologize for my horrible spelling and grammar.

Just learn to be an Idahoan.

Twenty or thirty years you'll have it!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:01 pm

I like your syle. Lol. After reading through a bunch of posts, sounds like I will feel right at home, dudes skybust, dike hunters, dude shooting too early and late, setting up in your decoys, calling birds off that are working decoys. Guess its the same everywhere. Damn it! :censored:
fixed blade
hunter

Postby jdinid » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Beats coming from the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. :)
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:06 pm

fixed blade wrote:I like your syle. Lol. After reading through a bunch of posts, sounds like I will feel right at home, dudes skybust, dike hunters, dude shooting too early and late, setting up in your decoys, calling birds off that are working decoys. Guess its the same everywhere. Damn it! :censored:

It happens everywhere I'm sure, but maybe it happens less here, because there are less people.
What side of state are you moving to?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Im moving to fairfield, North of twin falls, about 70 miles.

I have to admit, im going to miss hunting the great salt lake. Id get limits of gwt, and spoonies almost every time

fixed blade
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:33 pm

I did also shoot a 332 bull last year with my bow. That was awesome.
fixed blade
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:10 pm

fixed blade wrote:Im moving to fairfield, North of twin falls, about 70 miles.

I have to admit, im going to miss hunting the great salt lake. Id get limits of gwt, and spoonies almost every time

I think you'll be trading in those birds for Gadwalls and Greenheads. Don't worry tho. You'll get used to it.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:24 pm

Haha, it wont be easy, but I hope with some hard work I could get used to it.
fixed blade
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 pm

Welcome, your son will love Idaho! I don't think you'll have much trouble over your plates, but I'd transfer my registration if it was me, you are after all moving here. One less obstacle.
blackrock
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:35 pm

Yeah I know. Money is a little tight right now, so the longer I can wait the better. Here is my hunting rig, if you see it come say hi.

fixed blade
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:39 am

You are moving here too late to buy resident license and tags for this year. You need 6 months proof, change you drivers license ASAP. Unless you are military, then 30 days.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:14 am

rikasam2013 wrote:You are moving here too late to buy resident license and tags for this year. You need 6 months proof, change you drivers license ASAP. Unless you are military, then 30 days.

I saw that. Im going to have to get non residents tag. What do I need? Im confused by the regs? A small game liscense, a hunting liscense? Then I need something to hunt on a wma? And a duck stamp of course.
fixed blade
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:12 am

A hunting license allows you to hunt small game, upland birds and doves. Get your federal duck stamp for waterfowl. A WMA permit is for pheasant only. There are special rules for the pheasant on WMA's. You can still hunt everything else there with just your regular license. CJ Strike is a prime example.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Fortunately Idaho nonresident license are a bargain. Big game tags cost a bit but you could always just bird hunt this year. Archery elk over the counter tags for many units though!
blackrock
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:13 pm

With a Brother living in Thayne ,WY only 4 miles from the border and Archery Elk being his Bag , each year I get some
meat . With me as a birds hunter It's a darn good trade-off , at times !

Great Pictures , Blackrock 1 That water sure is calm , I can see Bass houses everywhere ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks for the info fellas. Im so excited I can hardly wait. Anyone know if there are any quail up where I going to be, Fairfield area? It looks like great chuckar area. Pm's are fine. I would never ask for spots, jst if there are opportunities. Can't believe how many more opportunities to hunt there are in idaho!
fixed blade
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:19 am

One last question, I se there is a hunting liscense, and a small game hunting liscense. What is the difference? Im guessing that the hunting liscense is for big game?
fixed blade
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:21 am

this link should tell you everything you need to know for the non resident tags. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/lic ... eCategory=

The hunting license allows you to buy non res tags for big game, the small game only allows you to shoot a variety of small game.

Get your Idaho drivers license as soon as you can. It takes 6 months to get resident privileges.

It will take a bit to get your bearings, but I'm sure there are quail and forest grouse close, we've even shot a few ducks and geese near town. There are also some good areas for sage grouse if you know where to find them. The sage grouse season changes year to year and won't be published until august.

My guess would be it will be very difficult to get any people to help you a whole lot at first. Lots of people give the newbies a hard time, however I've never met an Idaho native in 23 years. There have been a lot of fires in that part of Idaho over the past few years and I'm sure that will have even the Idaho resident hunters looking for new ground. I haven't hunted big game over there for several years and suspect the wolves have put a hurt on the deer and elk some. There are good numbers of bear near featherville. Take the time to look over satellite maps and then take a drive or two.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:48 am

Thanks for the link woodduck. That is a lot more clear than the other sites I've looked at. Thanks as well for the advice. I can't wait to start scouting. Only 3 more weeks! :thumbsup:
fixed blade
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:28 am

I can point you in the right direction for sage grouse assuming we have a season over there this year, even a spot or two for ducks and geese. You will have to check with me through private message though.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:03 am

Of course, I understand.
fixed blade
hunter

Postby Drake Drayage » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:14 pm

:welcome: I'm a new transplant myself... you'll love it!
Shade Prostaff
Blackberry Kazoo Boy Productions
Drake Drayage
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:55 am

Well, today I become an Idahoan! Moving truck is almost loaded.
fixed blade
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Welcome to the land of the free.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting