Duck Hunting Forum banner

First band ever - today

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  idhuntinfool 
#1 ·
Well guys after watching jjohnsons video, i decided to brave the cold and do some waterfowling.Well it was a good decision since the first duck of the morning came into the spread and i gave him a #4 blackcloud and when i picked him up i seen the little silver gift from the GODS. The band was from Laurel MD and it was on a mallard drake.Dam that was a long flight , from MD to ID. Called the 1-800 number reported it and they will be sending my info on the duck and such. MY PRECIOUS. lol now i want more , im a addict.

#4 ·
Congrats on the band. I ditto the online way of reporting. I received immediate info on one of the bands I shot this year. Banded 4.5 years ago in Idaho. You can get the info immediately if available on the internet and then request a certificate be mailed as well.

The other two bands came back with no info on internet hits. This most likely means they were banded this year and info has not been forwarded yet from the banding location. A certificate will be sent when the info reaches Maryland.

For everyone's info, I thought I was lucky or had great karma, shooting four bands in a one year period after going 11 bandless years. A federal fish and wildlife guy I know straightened me out (burst my bubble :wink: ) by informing me that on the Pacific Flyway many more birds were being banded as a result of avian flu monitoring. Birds are captured, tested and released. While captured, they are slapping bands on a lot more birds than normal.

Still fun to find a bird with "jewelry".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.