In praise of Fall

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Re: In praise of Fall

Postby blackrock » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:43 am

Those look great Fs, I'm way jealous!
blackrock
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:40 am

those look pretty sharp.

we are closing in on getting all of our flocking and painting done, probably another 400 or so, we work through about 2 dozen a day depending on what they are. Once we get done with those we won't be doing flocking and painting on other peoples decoys any more, just our custom decoys.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks guys!
All I can do about the durability issue is keep my fingers crossed.
I took every precaution I could think of short of matte finish sealing them, but I might as well paint them as to do that.
I feel pretty good about them holding the flock tho. But I suppose I will baby them a bit 'til I see?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Crossing the Snake river Bridge into town from out hwy 39, I can see many subtle signs that a leaf change on some of the gravel bar trees and bushes is under way already. Just on the gravel bar to the downstream side of the silver bridge (Next to train trestle) there is one already in full change, and bright gold. Must have started before this dark stormy weather hit for it to already be so.

Leaf changes, the daily changes in weather, progress of the harvest, watching the local goslings appear and then fledge, these are all part of the autumn ritual. I think they enrich the total experience and help to extend it at the front end of the actual hunts themselves.
Being a little, or even a lot fired up by opening day of the waterfowl season is a good thing! For myself, I try to maximize every bit of the lead up to the expected reward that awaits. The short countdown to fall is all about that! A reward unto itself.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:12 am

Trapped into another day of "Honey do's".
After all the rain, the river is way to high and mucked up to put the boat in for fishing.
Sitting here at the computer, looking out the window, I can see it's going to be a great day! Think I'll let the lab out of his kennel so he can mill around under foot while I'm working, and distract me to the point that I have an excuse to take him swimming.

Mild warm up today forecast to be 81*, but then two days almost up to 90*, then it's going to settle into the mid 80*s for the rest of the ten day forecast, and that will get us awfully close to Sept........and the official start of my fall season!

It rained again yesterday, but only 15 or 20 minutes here in town, however it looked like it rained hard at the bottom of the foothills west of town, and probably delayed the grain harvest out there another whole day.
Somebody, somewhere is combining, 'cause I woke up with a scratchy throat, and the wife is sneezing. Sure sign of that!
The combines will be out in force today for sure!
Hope the potato crop doesn't all have 'Black Heart' this year because of the rain?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:36 am

We'll be in the mid to upper 90's here for awhile. Only change in tree colors is to brown for the ones that are dying from lack of water. The oaks will start coloring up around mid september or so, later some years. Am definitely looking forward to it cooling off. Have a friend heading to Island Park to do some fishing...I'd much rather be there than here.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:15 am

Newest additions to the fleet.
They finally came this morning.
(Posted in duck decoy thread as well)
The G&H Navigator Butt Feeders!

Both of these decoys will be going under the flock this coming week!

Close up of the twin propellers under the decoy that work independently of one another, and alternately to turn, and move the decoy back and forth.
Looking forward to getting them in the water for a trial run!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:34 pm

That's funny right there. I can here the Jaws theme music now... :)
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby drakz » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:03 pm

Where can a guy get one of those feeders? Me want!! So where the weight and line attaches does it swivel? The thing I always notice on those types of decoys is it gets the line all twisted and messed up.
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:42 pm

drakz wrote:Where can a guy get one of those feeders? Me want!! So where the weight and line attaches does it swivel? The thing I always notice on those types of decoys is it gets the line all twisted and messed up.

I believe I ordered mine from here
http://www.ghdecoys.com/categories/NEW-PRODUCTS/

No the attachment point does not swivel.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:43 pm

Anybody besides me notice how much shorter the days are getting?
Got hot today, then clouded up and began to cool a bit.

Three weeks from today, The E Idaho State fair comes to town. Yippee!
Dare I say fall?
The long wait is almost over.

Monday forecast to be 91*. Tuesday 86* and rain. Then Wed. 81* and rain. Nothing higher than 82* after that!
Have we knocked off the 90*s for the rest of summer?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

In praise of Fall

Postby jdinid » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Anybody besides me notice how much shorter the days are getting?

Dare I say fall?

Monday forecast to be 91*. Tuesday 86* and rain. Then Wed. 81* and rain. Nothing higher than 82* after that!

We've got a couple of hot days coming and then back into the high 80's, low 90's. Tomatoes and peppers are coming on, so as long as it's sunny and warm, I'm happy. I see no reason for hot weather again this year. Ducks and geese are already in the picture. :)
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:59 pm

jdinid wrote:
Fsbirdhouse wrote:Anybody besides me notice how much shorter the days are getting?

Dare I say fall?

We've got a couple of hot days coming and then back into the high 80's, low 90's. Tomatoes and peppers are coming on, so as long as it's sunny and warm, I'm happy. I see no reason for hot weather again this year. Ducks and geese are already in the picture. :)

A wise reflection Mr. jdinid.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:58 am

you are right, the days are getting shorter, generally nights getting cooler. I hate sleeping with the air conditioner, never get a good rest without the cool night air coming in the window. I could have done without the spider on my nose at 3am this morning, kind of makes me want to close the window. Spiders moving into the house means fall is coming, listening to flights of geese through the morning with the cool air coming in the window says it's my time of year.

Only 20 days now till bear season starts and only about 42 till my wife gets back home from her summer job.

I got my bear hide back from 2013 and will do the rug work as soon as it cools off. I don't imagine I'll ever shoot a bigger bear in Idaho, this one was a 6 footer with a 19 inch skull. I'm looking for a blonde bear this fall, we had two blonde boar shooters last spring working, but ran out of time.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Looks comfy. Who did you have do the tan? I just picked up a pile of fur also.
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:12 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by Fsbirdhouse on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:15 pm

Since I'm not getting any help in the duck decoy thread, I'll pose the question here.

Oops!
So worried about the flocking, I almost forgot that I wanted to redo the bills on the hens as well.
This was my model. It seemed the best I could find to do.

On the left below is the bill of a GHG. The color is the same on a Higdon.
On the right is the best color match I could achieve to the model I was following.
It is an orange, with just a touch of primer red airbrushed over it.
And as a small group.

Which do you think look best?
Should more red be airbrushed on?
Last edited by Fsbirdhouse on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:22 pm

USA fox and furs is where we went with the furs. I looked around quite awhile before finding someone I was satisfied with. I figured this bear was a once in a lifetime and didn't want it screwed up. I'm a very careful skinner, worked for a fur buyer for several years and I don't like holes in my fur and these guys did a great job, no holes other than the bullet hole in the neck.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:25 pm

FS, I think your match is far better than the ghg color. there is a bit of variation in the orange in mallard hens, you could use more red in the mix, but not sure I'd bother. I like to put orange and then go mist over with a custom mix about like yellow ochre.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby waveslider » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:51 pm

woodduck31 wrote:USA fox and furs is where we went with the furs. I looked around quite awhile before finding someone I was satisfied with. I figured this bear was a once in a lifetime and didn't want it screwed up. I'm a very careful skinner, worked for a fur buyer for several years and I don't like holes in my fur and these guys did a great job, no holes other than the bullet hole in the neck.

Certainly, you know your way around a skinning shed (could use some help this year!)

You're very lucky. USA Foxx and Fur does NOT come highly recommended and to be honest, you are the very first person I've talked to that actually had a positive experience. You sure you got YOUR bear back? That is often the complaint. Since you mentioned the bullet hole, you had a reference.

If you decide to do another one, give me a call as I've now had excellent results across a couple other reputable tanneries and can recommend.

That thing would look good in front of the fireplace. OUR fireplace. :smile:
waveslider
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:49 pm

I hear that a lot about various tanneries. When I was a licensed taxidermist I was able to find a lot more options. We used new method out of California for a long time, but the price went from $100 for a bear to $400. Lots of folks don't understand the shrinkage and always think they didn't get their hides back, I'm never quite sure about those stories. I do put identifying marks on my furs for the very purpose of knowing I'm getting my hides back. There were three tags on my bear and an identifying mark in the hide that I hid on an edge. One of our hunting party sent one to moyle last year and felt the same way about not getting his bear back. These USA guys were very prompt, got my bear back quicker than they projected, answered all my questions quickly and did a good job. Of course they didn't have a lot left to do since I already have everything done as far as turning the ears, splitting the lips and eyelids, pulling the feet and turning the nose as well as shaving the hide. It's probably some of the easiest money they make.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:57 pm

woodduck31 wrote:FS, I think your match is far better than the ghg color. there is a bit of variation in the orange in mallard hens, you could use more red in the mix, but not sure I'd bother. I like to put orange and then go mist over with a custom mix about like yellow ochre.

Thank you very much Don!
I appreciate the critique.

They stay as they are!

Edit: Yup Don, googled Yellow Ochre and found the perfect shade right off.
But I guess I'll go, with what I can do, with what I've got.

That means I'm done!
Or nearly?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:15 am

I got to see the Mallard/Gadwall cross family just a week or so ago. Looks like around 8-10 ducklings survived. Those critters are so screwed up they don't know what to do - half of them quack, half of them "dwack" and the others just kind of made whatever sound came out of their beak. We also have a quail momma on the nest for her third brood. They are good parents.

Had a coyote family move in a little while ago. Past tense.
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:24 am

How large are those ducklings?
They can't be far from fledging.

Somewhere in the very far north, the cool falls rains are nearly ready to start. We always used to see them by the third week of August in Alaska. You'd often see 'Termination Dust' on the mountain tops by the first ten days of September, and the big flights of waterfowl would begin pouring thru the mountain passes onto the coastal plains of Cook Inlet by then as well.
A month from now they'll be arriving in some numbers on the prairie pot hole regions of Canada.
A month after that we'll be seeing some Canadian ducks and geese begin to filter down to us.
Having them both in hand at that point, a guy can tell the Canadians from our locals by the color on a mallard's legs
Our local ducks always seem to have a very 'Washed Out' orange, where the earliest Canadians have a much darker orange, and seem to be a tad chunkier to me.
Very late in the season, if we're having really cold temps up north, the latest arriving Arctic birds will have 'Blood Red' legs, and are the very largest birds we're likely to see here in Idaho.
Put that same Arctic bird in the rice fields of California for a few weeks and you'll have a duck approaching the size of a small Cackler goose!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:13 am

These guys were a pretty late brood but they are at the point where they are "skimming' across the water. Kind of half flying and half scurrying. But that was a week or so ago so they are probably flying proper by now.
waveslider
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting