In praise of Fall

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Re: In praise of Fall

Postby Mean Gene » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 pm

If you want a great bill orange get the orange from Lock Stock and Barrel. Great color right out of the can and dries rock hard. No mixing, no overspraying. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:00 am

Mean Gene wrote:If you want a great bill orange get the orange from Lock Stock and Barrel. Great color right out of the can and dries rock hard. No mixing, no overspraying. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wish I'd known before.
But I'm done.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:42 am

Looks like round two of wet weather is headed our way again this week.
Today, and for the next three following days there is a fair amount of moisture forecast to come rolling thru our area.
I drove thru the countryside roads last evening, and there were clouds of dust and wheat chaff in all directions. The farmers were really getting after the harvest. With the bit of breeze that came up during the night there may not have been a heavy enough dew form to stop them combining all night long, and I'm sure they have kept going non-stop if able.
They know the rain is coming too!

Yesterday got up over 90*, but nothing that hot is forecast for the next ten days, nothing over the mid 80*s in fact, and the next ten days takes us most of the way thru August, and that could very well see the end of the worst of the hot weather for the year.

I was hearing that the big El Nino event they were calling for several months ago may have fizzled out. Too bad for California if that is so, but an earlier, colder winter here, something back to a more normal scenario, might make for a better duck and goose season in our part of the country!

I have a sense that time is running out on me for all I have to do to get ready for the bird hunting season's, even tho I have been very busy right along with all of that, much remains to do.
A bit of darker, stormy days may provide just the jumpstart I need to get everything accomplished I plan to do, but all of this has really cut into my fishing this year, and the attention my dog needs has suffered too!

Yes! Fall is right on our doorstep, and I really have no complaints about time running out. There still is just enough!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:19 am

Your predictions seem to be right ( maybe ) as there are clouds in the sky here . With these big beautiful clouds stacking-up
over the Sierra Mountains to the East , without a drop here , hopefully the El Nino is just saying , Watch Out , I'm coming !
Last edited by 3200 man on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3200 man
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:44 am

Was down in the valley at the daughter's house the last couple days. When we came home we could see all three smoke columns from the fires around us and it was obvious they were all burning very well. All fed fires, so they ain't gong away any time soon. Smoke really sucks into this valley at times. Even though we are still having 100 degree days, I notice the mornings are different. Makes me start looking forward to getting up and seeing the thermometer tell me it's below freezing.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:06 pm

The wife and I were on the back lawn under a patio umbrella in some lounge chairs sipping toddies about 8:30 last night. There were dark, ragged clouds skirting by above us, and silent flashes of lightning everywhere in the distance. It doesn't feel like autumn has arrived just now, and yet we both noticed how something is noticeably changing. It just felt different.
The strain of the heat is losing it's grip, and there is a tangible, but quite subtle feeling of exhilaration, of expectation of some unnamed event waiting in the wings.
Hurry autumn!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jdinid » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:14 pm

The river at the cabin is chocolate milk and we had to run through the rain to pack up today. The deer are already moving down to the river. Change is a coming.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Elephant Ears, and Funnel Cakes. Trout fillets, and Dutch oven cooking. Getting your picture taken in costume. Buying the Grandkids cotton candy, and yourself a bagel smothered in Salmon. Mountain Dew in a cup. Corn on the cob, and Turkey legs.

Smelling cow poop, and sheep poop, and seeing gargantuan rabbits.
Hearing a tractor pull under the Grandstands. Seeing Kenny Rogers under that same Grandstand the next night.

Seeing groups of just barely teenage girls trying to look so sophisticated and alluring for groups of teenage boys as they pass each other, and then breaking into squeals and giggles 50 ft beyond.

Crowds jostling and bumping, and groups stopping in the middle of the walk to block it all. Propellered spinners, and escaped balloons seen drifting by overhead. Seeing friends and all sorts of every description, and old folk sitting on benches lining the walk.

Ferris Wheels, and Bumper Cars, and throwing darts at balloons. The funhouse, The Flying Hammer, and long lines at the rides.
"You must be this tall to ride this ride"......... and nobody cares.

Is there anything to compare to a country State Fair?
A fall ritual.

Two and one half weeks from today.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Good old fashioned 'Gully Washer' came rolling into town this evening.
Heavy rain, thunder, a little lightning. Still a light rain falling here now.
August Monsoons they call it.
I like it!

Edit: Wow!
Not one, but now three super dumps have happened this evening, and the radar shows much more on the way.
If it holds together until it all gets here, I won't have to worry about flood irrigating this week either.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Elephant Ears, and Funnel Cakes. Trout fillets, and Dutch oven cooking. Getting your picture taken in costume. Buying the Grandkids cotton candy, and yourself a bagel smothered in Salmon. Mountain Dew in a cup. Corn on the cob, and Turkey legs.

Smelling cow poop, and sheep poop, and seeing gargantuan rabbits.
Hearing a tractor pull under the Grandstands. Seeing Kenny Rogers under that same Grandstand the next night.

Seeing groups of just barely teenage girls trying to look so sophisticated and alluring for groups of teenage boys as they pass each other, and then breaking into squeals and giggles 50 ft beyond.

Crowds jostling and bumping, and groups stopping in the middle of the walk to block it all. Propellered spinners, and escaped balloons seen drifting by overhead. Seeing friends and all sorts of every description, and old folk sitting on benches lining the walk.

Ferris Wheels, and Bumper Cars, and throwing darts at balloons. The funhouse, The Flying Hammer, and long lines at the rides.
"You must be this tall to ride this ride"......... and nobody

Is there anything to compare to a country State Fair?
A fall ritual.

Two and one half weeks from today.

Yep, we are always excited to hit the fair!
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Good old fashioned 'Gully Washer' came rolling into town this evening.
Heavy rain, thunder, a little lightning. Still a light rain falling here now.
August Monsoons they call it.
I like it!

Edit: Wow!
Not one, but now three super dumps have happened this evening, and the radar shows much more on the way.
If it holds together until it all gets here, I won't have to worry about flood irrigating this week either.

Pretty light rain at our place, but it really came down in town. Flooded streets again. Hoping all the hills get some rain, they sure need it.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 pm

We have had either a major downpour about every thirty to forty five minutes, or a steady, drenching rain between those events, with no let-up.
There is more forecast for tomorrow.

I cannot remember such a wet August.
Not complaining!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:04 am

we had all kinds of warnings at around 5pm to 8pm yesterday. I looked at the radar and we were getting close to getting slammed from what I could see. We had a little light rain sometime before 6pm that kind of got the ground wet except for under the trees. The wind was blowing a bit for around here, but this old Kansas boy didn't notice much more than a normal blustery day back home. I hope it dumped up in the hills where the bears are to keep any of the lightning strikes at bay. We've had a few years of closures in the fall that kept us from hunting.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:18 am

The rain did not end until after 4:00 this morning.
Rained steady, and fairly hard all night.

On another note;
I think a grain field off in another direction is the new favorite of the local geese roosting across the river from me.
The last couple of days has seen the numbers of them overflying the house drastically reduced, but that is likely to be only a temporary situation, as I've seen that happen in years past, only to have them shift back before the season actually starts.

I miss hearing the twice daily flights coming and going tho.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:12 pm

Yet another day and night of Monsoonal moisture coming up from the deserts SW yesterday.

This is absolutely the wettest August I can remember.
Heavy downpours for three days last week. Much heavier rains this week, and nearly all of last night.
Not that I'm complaining. I love a rainy day, and good sleep listening to it thru an open window at night, but it's keeping the river too high for good fishing. Maybe it will all come together in Sept.

I am always working on the countdown to fall thru the hottest months of summer, at least in spirit, but these latest rounds of wet weather have even my traditional hunting group starting to get excited about it's close approach in just a little over two weeks now. (at least for the dove hunt).

She hasn't brought up the fall decor from the basement yet, but very shortly we'll be picking out a couple of Autumn candles for the house. Back up to the living room floor will come the pheasant birdhouse with gold and orange leaves, pumpkins around the base next to the strutting pheasant. All the other garlands, autumn fireplace screen, a few duck and goose decoy center pieces on the dinning room table or coffee tables around the house.
Jan always knows how to transform our home from what I consider the drab trappings of summer, to the richer Autumn colors and scents.
At the moment I write this, the house is fairly permeated with the aroma of hot, spicy sausages being boiled in beer, and I'm enjoying a Gin & Tonic after an action packed morning much involved with yard work.

Our apples are growing rapidly now, and have achieved the size of billiard balls, and the plums are nearly to size but still quite green and hard.
Jim Cuddihy, a charter member of my hunting group, is one who has for years helped out by taking our overflow of apples and plums, and in return, I'm promised a very large jar of homemade plum jam (Best I've ever had), and Raspberry Jam as well.
As they get near to being ripe, I'll move the 12' step ladder out to the trees, and they (Jim and wife) can harvest as they will.
I believe that after lunch, I will nap.... and dream of the crowds at the fair, and all the food. A sky full of ducks descending over my newly revamped decoys thru a golden canopy of fall leaves, and the first wet snows of the autumn season.
See ya there!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jdinid » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Fs, you certainly have a way with prose. :)

No more rain for a while. It's causing havoc with the garden and I got chased off the ladder while working on the cabin the other day. Standing on a metal ladder in a thunder storm just isn't too bright.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:11 pm

Get caught several miles from the boat launch in an aluminum boat on the river during one.
That'll role your socks up and down for ya!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:40 pm

Not that I mind, but no sooner do I get the duck decoys finished, than friends bring a pile of goose decoys over to flock.
I'll do the cheek patches Sat, and then Sunday show them how to do the flocking on the goose heads. Maybe help a little?

I hunt with these guys, and I want theirs in as good a shape as mine when we will be comprising them in a bigger overall spread.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:29 am

It's 7:00 AM, and I'm being serenaded by several flocks of geese passing over the house just now.
Seven weeks of easy living left for them. Seven weeks of change.

Hoping to get in one more trip out after Bass before that slows down. Next month will be time to chase the trout, and worry a few doves.

Wife is trying to talk me into taking her to Oregon at the end of Oct, but I've told her I intend to get in the best part of the first week of pheasant hunting before we go, and then it will be the "Dead Time" just after the local ducks and geese have gotten wise, and perhaps just before the first of the major Autumn storms begin to push the earliest migrants into the area.

This next week I'll be working on finding some twelve volt motors and batteries for a special project, and also spiffing up the motion decoys I already have in hand, and scouting areas I already have permission to hunt.. to clear deadfall out for better pond side blinds.
Should finish the last of the major 'Honey do's' this morning, and that will clear the way for all the rest!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:43 am

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Get caught several miles from the boat launch in an aluminum boat on the river during one.
That'll role your socks up and down for ya!

Ha! I bet. I did get caught once about twenty miles up river and on the wrong side. I huddled against the bank for over an hour while I watched lightening bounce off the hillside opposite me. Marble sized hail can be painful.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Speaking of thunderstorms!
For several days now, Weather.com has been predicting thundershowers for this coming Tuesday, and since Jan and I have been doing major landscaping projects around the property for many weeks getting ready for the daughter's wedding reception to be held here outside next Saturday, we had been keeping our fingers crossed about the weather outlook.
In the last hour, all the weather forecast has just changed.
Rain! Tuesday thru Sat. Every day!
Yeah, that can all change again, by then, but........Uh Oh! :help:
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:27 pm

Fs we had monsoon rain, flooding and hail the day before the wedding as we were still doing all the outside preparation. River running down the driveway, which really ruined my plan to mow the entire yard (1 1/2 acres) the day before. So the big day was supposed to be all sunny and clear. We thought we were good, but the ground was soaked, humid and hard to mow soaked grass. They put out all the decorations, everything ready. Then right as about 90-100 guests arrived, dark cloud rolling down the canyon, soaking rain! Fortunately this one rolled through pretty quick. We had to redecorate real quick, wipe everything down and have the ceremony before another one came. Luckily the blue sky came out and she had the best darn wedding I'd ever seen! Most all the guests agreed! One of my best old college buds officiated and cooked Dutch oven cuisine. We had smoked pork, chicken, Dutch potatoes and everything else you could imagine. It was a fine day for an outdoor Idaho wedding!!!!!!!.....I need a long nap
blackrock
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:30 am

Yes blackrock,
As we grow older we begin to regress back to our days in Kindergarten when a daily nap was essential.
I am a firm believer.
Every once in a while I'll snack on milk and cookies too! But the nap is a must.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Big crowd in the garage flocking goose heads on BigFoots and some floaters this morning.
Short bit of instruction on my part, and turned 'em loose. They did a good job! Coming back to do tails this week sometime.
First hunt with those will see them in Canada the end of September.
I will not be there this time, as my money is going into my current spread this year.

Sold some Flambeau floaters, and now will see another new slotted bag for more full bodies, and a box of twenty gauge shells for the pheasant hunt this year.
A box or two of 10 ga. goose loads to compliment the two 12 ga. 3 1/2" boxes I have for the A400. May grab a case of 3" #3 shot as well.

Lead weights & cords.
As expensive as decoys these days. Wow!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:45 am

Fsbirdhouse wrote:A box or two of 10 ga. goose loads to compliment the two 12 ga. 3 1/2" boxes I have for the A400. May grab a case of 3" #3 shot as well.

Good luck finding it. It appears the ammo shortage has spread to all corners of ammunition. I'm buying ammo online pretty exclusively these days.

Silly.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting