In praise of Fall

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Re: In praise of Fall

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:14 pm

Hearing reports from all over that the rain has destroyed very much Hay and Wheat locally.
It is raining at the moment I type this.

The uncertainty of what dropping temps will do to our dove hunt over the next few days does dampen my anticipation about another good opener this year, but I'll be out there for it regardless.

Although low temps are forecast to drop into the high 40*s for several days, a warm up is expected several days before the dove opener actually gets here. I hope it warms right up for just that long.

Seeing further change to gold in a few willows and trees along the river banks. Even my Snowball bush in the backyard is showing the first signs that change may be coming much earlier than I can ever recall seeing in it in well over twenty years.
All of this may mean exactly nothing, but a few early September freezes would not be unwelcome, nor would an opening duck hunt blizzard be a disappointment either.
It has happened often enough to be a real possibility around here!
Hurry Autumn!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:47 am

One group just finished flocking their goose heads here at the house, and another two dozen heads showed up yesterday from yet another fellow.
I painted the cheek patches on those last night, and I suppose he and another will be back Sunday to actually flock them after a bit of instruction.

Friday will be an action packed day with getting the final touches on the yard before Saturday's wedding reception for the daughter..... after that things should slow down just a bit.

I'll be spending September going to the State Fair a few times, getting in an opening day dove hunt, tinkering with some motion decoys, doing a little fishing, attending the last of this year's DU banquets, up to Heise to winterize the 5th wheel, setting up the decoy trailer, daily training with the Lab, doing at least one more trip around to touch base with hunting contacts in the area, and of course......all the usual daily house/yard work is still to do until the wife retires. That includes dinners.

What you see me type here constitutes my actual break times. It's the only time I can find to sit down!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 am

Another major rain all night, and all thru the morning so far.

Never seen an August like this!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jdinid » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:36 am

Just read the article on the wheat and hay crop. Given the potential before the rain, it's pretty tragic.

Given how August is going, fall and winter could be interesting. We already have flocks of geese flying over daily, the flock up by the cabin is gone, we have a resident doe already scoping out the area and for first time I can remember, we have a resident covey of quail.

I'm just hoping I get cabin repairs and paint done before it starts to freeze at this point.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:35 am

jdinid wrote:Just read the article on the wheat and hay crop. Given the potential before the rain, it's pretty tragic.

Given how August is going, fall and winter could be interesting. We already have flocks of geese flying over daily, the flock up by the cabin is gone, we have a resident doe already scoping out the area and for first time I can remember, we have a resident covey of quail.

I'm just hoping I get cabin repairs and paint done before it starts to freeze at this point.

Hoping for early freezes, then good snows by middle/end October. No drastic cold spells.

Long faces on farmers today. Rolled his eyes up at rain laden skies, but still was given permission to hunt.
At least one Spud field will be back into wheat this fall, and when in wheat, that one can be fabulous!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jdinid » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:53 pm

I need to make a trip that way. Finding pheasant fields around here is pretty iffy.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 pm

Actually pretty iffy around here as well.
They can be got to, but those fields are highly coveted. I'd look about half way between you and me for better chances.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Can you send us some of that rain you're talking about? It's getting hard to chew the oxygen out of the air around here.

Mean Gene
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Image Here is some more rain for you! We just had to haul buns down the canyon from a little evening dirt ride. As Fs said, one of the wettest Augusts in awhile. I don't like being on a rocky ridge with the lightning striking below me! Managed to make it home before the worst hit. Been there too many times in the high country deer and elk hunting. Cool wet weather and storms definitely feels like fall is right around the corner.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blackrock
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Heavy rain just to the north, and huge light show with it.
Some light sprinkles coming down at the house just now, can hear them on the front yard Maple thru the computer room window.

Have to bite my tongue not to declare "Fall" came tonight.
Supposed to warm back up to very low 80*s next weekend, but for now it's very cool temps, and just now I can hear the rain beginning to come down quite hard again.

Yes!
I think we abandoned the "Sweltering 90*s" thread at exactly the right time.

Alright everybody! I believe you can start the celebration just a tiny bit early this year!
You can thumb your noses at summer now, we're at the very end!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:15 pm

Yes, sometime during the night, fall came to E Idaho.
No matter they are calling for low 80*s next week, fall is here.

Pulled out the 20ga., the 12ga., and the ten ga. as well.
I am out of Hoppes 9. The realization was like a solid slap to the face. Will be making a trip to the local Cal Store soon. They better have it!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby MS » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:08 pm

I was in Island Park today and it never got out of the 50's, and I swear some of the willows were looking a little yellow. Sure felt like Fall to me. :smile:
MS
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:20 pm

This morning saw heavy rains all over E. Idaho, and many lesser showers afterward until late afternoon.
One wave has passed on to the East, and now another is rolling straight at us this evening.

I hope, but do not believe there will be much of a dove hunt this season in our neck of the woods.
No sooner than these storms are forecast to clear up for two or three days just prior to next weekend and the opening day on Monday, than the remnants of a tropical storm now in Mexico is slated to slam into our area with much more moisture by as early as Saturday.
What a ride it's been!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jdinid » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:49 pm

Yeah, it's here. A few more days of warmth and I'll get the lions share of tomatoes in. Harvested 35lbs of potatoes this morning.
jdinid
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:28 pm

With the feeling Gene has with smoke in the air , we have dust with the same visibility here ! Almond harvest has begun
along with Corn being chopped so , watery eyes is the norm for everyone that you ( could see ) through the haze !

We've had a influx of Doves in the area (probably) from all the activity in the Nut Trees but , maybe some northern birds
are finding their way down from all the rainy weather up north ( you lucky dogs ) ? Dove season opener should be Outstanding
from what I've seen , where I hunt !......I would easily trade it for Rain , though ! :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:21 pm

Experiencing a good old fashioned "Gully Washer" outside as I type these words. Much thunder.

Tho I will go out for the dove hunt, I'm not buying any extra shells for it. I think most of the Mournings will be gone a week from now. Maybe most are already. But like Larry, I'll trade the Mourning doves for the rain. It's just grand hearing it come down.

Makes me have good thoughts about the coming waterfowl season. Maybe an early taste of winter weather to get the big birds moving this way sooner than they normally would.
This stormy 'fall' weather is getting me really excited!

NFL regular season football begins next weekend!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:05 pm

A note to those who have stumbled into this thread thinking to learn how, or where.
Like the thread "Sweltering 90*s" that preceded it, you will find it to be more of a group Blog.
It is a catalog of events documenting where we've been, where we're at, and where we are all hoping to be.... moving forward.
It is about all things pertaining to that season most of us love best, and it will document it's arrival, and transition into the early winter months that include those most important to the sport that brought us all here to begin with.
It will often be about the weather that is so important to the change of this season, and the hoped for effect it will have on the game.
It might be about harvesting a garden one day, and a stringer full of fall trout the next.
How are your fruit trees doing? Have you seen any pheasants? Did you hear the first large flights of Snows migrating down the Snake last night, passing swiftly between rain squalls?
These things are important.
Attending the fair, working on decoys, scouting out your hunting spots, gathering with friends to discuss the coming hunts, the first smell of wood smoke in the air. A lane full of golden leaves.
These are the threads of fabric into which fall is woven.
More important I think, than how or where.
Hope you enjoy being here.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:09 am

Snow!
It was bound to happen with all the moisture we've had.
The highest peaks around the rim of the Snake river plain have got their first good dusting of the season.
Nothing adds an exclamation point to the end of summer quite like snow.
We'll still be seeing some 80*s down here in the valley, but few are forecast for the next ten days. Mostly low to mid 70*s.
Still a bit early to say what Sept will be like, but if the Monsoonal moisture that's been coming up from Nevada and Utah gets turned off, things may dry up a bit here during our Indian Summer we often have into early Oct.
Sept should be good trout fishing this year, and I've already heard reports of a few nice ones taken in the son-in-law's new boat just last week.
Gonna have to get off my Duff and get my own boat back on the water now, A day or two to let the water drop, and that's just what I'll do!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:33 am

Geese!

Typically we begin to get a really good build up of geese across the river from where I live that might start as early as the middle of August. There have been some hundreds coming over the house earlier, but then the numbers dropped off a bit. This morning they were back!
About 5:00 AM something spooked them on the roost, and the sound of their collective lift off was a real heart warmer.
Now that was a mass of geese!

Finally tracked down the fellow who has the large grass field beyond the end of our lane.
Wish he owned the place outright, but he only leases from a large corporation that will not allow hunting.
I guess that's just fine, cause nobody else will be troubling the geese in that field the first week or so of the season, and as soon as the tops of the winter wheat begin to show themselves in the field just over the fence from it, the geese will move en mass to the grain field...........and I've got that one exclusively! I have many other spots that promise to be just as good until then, just not a three minute drive from the house!
There is something to be said for being spoiled to the core!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:08 am

Things are really cooling off nicely at night now. It's been near 50 each morning...makes it nice for sleeping at night. I'd like nothing better than to wake up one morning and see ice on the windshield, but the earliest I've seen that here is mid-September. We're still around 89-91 for daily highs.

My summer "part time job" has morphed into F/S/S/M shift at 12 hrs per day. Makes for a great payday, but doesn't leave time to get many decoys done, so I'm spending 10+ hours/day in the shop painting on my days "off". I usually spend an hour or so before, and after work, painting as well. I'm going to be extremely glad when the last of the birds fly out of the shop.

It's bow season for deer here, but I haven't even bought a license yet. Didn't see any reason if I couldn't get out to chase anything. Rifle season starts in the middle of September, and I'll be ready then. Not much size to the bucks in this country...more like rats with horns.

Been watching the Little League World Series a bit. Was really hoping to see the girl from Pennsylvania pitch, but no such luck. Watched Chicago beat Las Vegas yesterday. Was rooting for Vegas, but yesterday Chicago was the better team. Big kid that started pitching for Vegas most definitely needed another pitch besides the fastball. He throws hard, but you can't have one pitch against a team like he was facing. Should be a good one today between Chicago and South Korea.

Come on winter!
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Daughter's outside wedding reception here at the house last night looked as tho it would be a disaster 15 minutes before it started.
Heavy downpour. Then it stopped, and the party started.
Mickelsen Pack did the hog.

Even Pa Pa got to sit down and enjoy the party with his granddaughter.

It feels warmer, but the temperature is 66*s at 2:00 PM.
Shades of things to come.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:53 am

So, based on what I saw this weekend, there is going to be a LOT of grain fields that go unharvested or at least will be harvested poorly to the point that I bet some farmers won't even bother. The barley looked good.

There were fields near Ashton/St Anthony/Rexburg that won't be fit for a tractor for a month it looked like. Some wheat was still green due to the wet August.

At what point is a field baited vs hunt able? I'm betting that little dilemma is going to come up and get argued in E Idaho this year for sure! You folks over there might want to tighten up on that just in case.

When was the last time you heard of a crop wasted in Idaho from too much water?
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:38 am

waveslider wrote:So, based on what I saw this weekend, there is going to be a LOT of grain fields that go unharvested or at least will be harvested poorly to the point that I bet some farmers won't even bother. The barley looked good.

There were fields near Ashton/St Anthony/Rexburg that won't be fit for a tractor for a month it looked like. Some wheat was still green due to the wet August.

At what point is a field baited vs hunt able? I'm betting that little dilemma is going to come up and get argued in E Idaho this year for sure! You folks over there might want to tighten up on that just in case.

When was the last time you heard of a crop wasted in Idaho from too much water?

Good bit of advice waveslider!

I've been wondering the same myself.
I think standing crops are alright, harvested crops are alright, but if just knocked down and tilled a bit, that might mean baited.
Interesting dilemma for sure. But I'm thinking a guy can ask the farmer if he's harvested, or just bladed the crop under before he hunts it.

An excerpt from the feds guidelines about baiting.
What is Legal?
Hunting waterfowl over a crop that has not been harvested but that has been manipulated (rolled/disced) is considered baiting under current regulations.

You can hunt waterfowl on or over or from:

Standing crops or flooded standing crops, including aquatic plants.
Standing, flooded, or manipulated natural vegetation.
Flooded harvested croplands.
Lands or areas where grains have been scattered solely as the result of a normal agricultural planting, harvesting, or post-harvest manipulation.
Lands or areas where top-sown seeds have been scattered solely as the result of a normal agricultural planting, or a planting for agricultural soil erosion control or post-mining land reclamation.
A blind or other place of concealment camouflaged with natural vegetation.
A blind or other place of concealment camouflaged with vegetation from agricultural crops, provided your use of such vegetation does not expose, deposit, distribute or scatter grain or other feed.
Standing or flooded standing crops where grain is inadvertently scattered solely as the result of hunters entering or leaving the area, placing decoys, or retrieving downed birds. Hunters are cautioned that while conducting these activities, any intentional scattering of grain will create a baited area.

What is Illegal?

Some examples of areas where you cannot hunt waterfowl include:

Areas where grain or seed has been top-sown and the Cooperative Extension Service does not recommend the practice of top sowing (see section on wildlife food plots).
Crops that have been harvested outside of the recommended harvest dates established by the Cooperative Extension Service (including any subsequent post-harvest manipulations).
Unharvested crops that have been trampled by livestock or subjected to other types of manipulations that distribute, scatter, or expose grain.
Areas where grain is present and stored, such as grain elevators and grain bins.
Areas where grain is present for the purpose of feeding livestock.
Freshly planted wildlife food plots that contain exposed grain.
Croplands where a crop has been harvested and the removed grain is redistributed or “added back” onto the area where grown.

http://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting ... iting.html
Last edited by Fsbirdhouse on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby waveslider » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:51 am

Yeah, the rules are a bit ambiguous. Even if the crop is harvested, you can still get whacked I think. The field has to be harvested in keeping with "normal customary means" or some such none sense.

It's worth tightening up on the boundaries in any event.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:44 am

Blast,
It was downright chilly this morning. You know, the damp, rude kind. Was outside right after the rain stopped
I'm thinking some ponds at elevation might be seeing a tiny bit of icing along their shorelines already. I'm sure of that!
Some of the draws near the top of Malad pass are turning red with the leaf change there.
I bet a fellow can see his breath first thing in the morning at West Yellowstone today.
Things could reverse themselves next month, and see a bit of a warm up move in..............Nah.

Looking to the southwest just now, I'm seeing another black wall of cloud headed this way. More rain, and why not?
Sure can't hurt the wheat or alfalfa now. Don't know what our potatoes are gonna look like? Black Heart, and small I imagine.
Hope the corn fares better, but as much moisture as corn likes, it needs a little sun as well, and there sure hasn't been much of that!

Anybody been seeing any doves?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting