stoked for season to get here, need a hunting buddy

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

stoked for season to get here, need a hunting buddy

Postby drakz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:01 am

I still don't have a main bud to get after it. I have spots, water and corn but wanna get after it with new people. Let me know!!

Also Anyone know the outlook of lake lowell? If its going to be mud flats this year or will the timber be in the water like I hope it will be, because I have new idea's to get after em. :beer:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Re: stoked for season to get here, need a hunting buddy

Postby duckstoppa » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:48 pm

What day does your season begin
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm always looking for new buds too hunt with...... :beer: looking like mud flats for Lowell again...
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby drakz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Matt id for sure like to go with you...I know who you are, we went to highschool together but didnt really know each other...4092187
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby fixed blade » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm down for meeting some hunting buddies. Im moving to fairfield next week, and dont know anyone.
fixed blade
hunter

Postby armyducker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:32 pm

I'm located in mountain home afb, and will be hunting cj strike area, if anyone's interested pm
armyducker
hunter

Postby drakz » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:18 am

Huge blow too my ego boys...

My wifes mom is moving out near deer flat road right bye lake lowell so we drove out there too scout it out, its just a corner lot with not a lot of land. Then I suddenly remembered my aunt is dating a guy that farms out in that area so I looked up the farm and its practically next door to this property and so I check it out and find Corn!! In my head the stars are alligning and Ive finally found a duck hunters dream....So I excitedly make the call and bam guess what, he used to let everyone hunt and then people fought over it, so now its leased out too some rich hunters....F You Rich hunters!! :censored:

I wanted to cry... :no:
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby whiskerbiscuit » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:50 am

That is why I stopped scouting around lake Lowell years ago.
whiskerbiscuit
hunter

Postby jdinid » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:55 am

Blame the guys who argued over the property as well. I've had conversations with several people who either leased their land, or just closed it off because of yahoos who mistreated the priviledge.
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:39 pm

You guys in SW Idaho have a lot more pressure on what little remains to you for good hunting, being so near Boise.
But next time you're feeling bad about that, spend a little time over in the California hunting thread. You Never hear them complaining about those kinds of problems!
Why? Because the very thought of having a prime place to hunt for the asking is just simply unheard of there. Has been for longer than most of us have been alive.
They pay thousands a year for hunting ground that you'd consider mediocre by our standards, and tens of thousands a year for the places we can still get for simple courtesy, and good behavior.
There are still places 'there' where you can hunt in groups for a couple hundred a day per gun, but I'd rather put my money into upgrading my spread, or the gas to go on each hunt here in my back yard. Those guys in California have to travel hours in most cases.
Buy a boat, and travel an hour or hour and a half and you'll locate areas that still smell like paradise, and consider your sport cheaply bought at that. Do it now, because the day is coming...............
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Duck-slayer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Everyone duck/goose hunter will get a rude awakening this year, since guiding has been approved, those days are already over... IMO, I've already seen a couple sites offering guided waterfowl hunts....
Matt
Duck-slayer
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Duck-slayer wrote:Everyone duck/goose hunter will get a rude awakening this year, since guiding has been approved, those days are already over... IMO, I've already seen a couple sites offering guided waterfowl hunts....
Matt

Can you provide a link to those adds.
Guess I haven't kept up. Thought the guided hunt thing got shot down?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Just talked to 'Mike' at the Idaho Falls branch of Fish and Game.
There are only 3 waterfowl guides operating in Idaho, (Eastern anyway) and they were 'Grandfathered in' many years ago.
So that is all that is currently allowed.

However.........Mike says it looks as tho it may be coming on private lands eventually. Keep in contact with state representatives to keep it from doing so!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:15 am

I suspect mike might not be well informed. This is probably the new guide duck slayer is talking about. They sponsor the refuge forums. Not sure if they are on here. http://shop.fourflyways.com/Guided-SW-I ... -00135.htm

They are right in duck slayers backyard. As long as guides stay on their own property, (not leased property) there probably isn't going to be much anyone can do, it's here and it's this year.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:17 am

I called fish and game here in Boise and they said guiding is still not allowed for waterfowl other than the few grandfathered outfits.

However, I got a call back a few minutes later and they told me the opposite. Guiding is allowed on private property now. my impression is that it's only on land that is owned by the guide, not leased.

Seems like there is a little confusion on the subject.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby jdinid » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:02 am

There were too bills. The general guiding bill failed but the bill allowing property owners to guide on their own land passed.
jdinid
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:48 pm

Landowners, and employees of the landowners, can guide on the landowners private property. They can not guide on public lands. This is Idaho... Do what you want on your own land. I believe there was like 5 threads on this very topic and how WE as sportsman can stop it. Some people went to great lengths to make it very simple for us to contact our legislators, yet I feel like very few people actually did. I did. I signed every petition, and wrote every legislator that "represents" me. I also wrote legislators involved with the bill. All total I maybe spent a few hours. We are all going to spend more time than that cleaning and organizing our boats/guns/ etc gear for this upcoming season.

Anyway I'm in the SW part of the state and will hopefully be able to get out more than the meager 4 or 5 times like I did last year.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:02 pm

I got responses from many of our representatives after contacting them.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby FlyFishingFreak » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:21 pm

I did too. Not exactly the stuff I wanted to hear. One rep. was completely against it and I will keep that in mind when it counts for them.
FlyFishingFreak
hunter

Postby drakz » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:14 pm

You know I work for a company that owns some damn good honey holes...they wont let us hunt on them either but I know damn good people still trespass and do it anyway, people that dont even work for us...

So if I was too talk to management and say hey can I guide hunts and make bookoo bucks for the company and make a business out of it , it would be considered legal?

I mean were talking every kind of duck, and geese as well all day long...We got a new General Manager and Im thinking about popping the question....its a dream...a gravel pit closer to the snake bye the boise...its got a little island with brush cover right smack in the middle and it loads up all around it with birds....I could invest in a sneaker boat and just set up shop right on the island...I day dream about it alot...lol
is that my beer?
drakz
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:10 am

And therein lies the dilemma.... Landowners or "Employees" of landowners. That distinction is vague enough that it really didn't matter anymore if they were going to allow general waterfowl guiding or not. The guides that want to make a business out of it will simply become an employee.

At least that was the point I made to my elected officials.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:26 pm

PM Sent.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby dukkhnter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:57 am

They do not even have to be "employees" of the landowner, as long as the landowner is ok with them not having a license.

http://legislature.idaho.gov//legislati ... /H0597.htm

"A person who obtains permission to outfit or guide on private property from the property owner is required to be licensed as an outfitter or guide unless the terms of a written agreement with the property owner do not require licensure."
dukkhnter
hunter

Postby goosepond » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:14 am

WOW, where has everyone been. As duck hunter says, ya don't have to be even an employee. Duck hunter, myself and a few others busted butt last spring/winter with legislators, input, Fish and Game and a ton of others writing legislators, Governor, etc etc, and the legislation that a few water fowlers submitted got shot down and the chance of getting this reversed is null to zero. After the repercussions that many got from pushing this issue to get it stopped, don't count on it guys. There was/is a lot of big talk from some legislators, but when it came to the vote time, many of them turned on us and didn't support it. Farm Bureau backed the current legislation because it pertained to private lands, and in this State, you are not going to beat the Farm Bureau or the amount of money they dump into the legislators pockets in this state. No matter what you say, beg, or promise, its not going to happen. Even the Outfitters and Guides Board fought this one to stop the guiding, at least without a guide license and they couldn't stop it.

So, if anyone thinks different, wait till you try and find some of your old hunting grounds starting this year and your going to find money scooping it all up and your going to be out.

Some of us tried to keep everyone on board with this last fall, but apparently if fell on deaf ears. Not that it would make any difference, but, its over and will never change. And I hate to say never, but, from the amount of time Duck Hunter spent at the legislators meetings, time off work, etc, he was about the only one to show up and voice his opinion and that of water fowlers state wide against this proposal.

Good luck to everyone and hope it doesn't affect you much, but, my gut feeling is, it will start this fall.

Oh, and one last thing, there are four (4) grandfathered waterfowl guides in East Idaho, not 3
goosepond
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:43 am

It's not just the Farm Bureau. It's also a state where private property rights are staunchly defended whether you agree with them, or not. Lands were already being leased out, so this was a natural progression that I don't think you could have stopped, only slowed. The limits in place I think are the best deal you could get. It's the downside of "progress".
jdinid
hunter

Next

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting