Ah Spring!

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, Tenner, jjohnson_714

Ah Spring!

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:42 am

At long last the lawn is green, the Dandelions are trying to show I didn't get 'em all last year. (never win that battle when you flood irrigate).
The weather highs are holding in high 50*s-low 60*s. The trees and bushes are 50/50 leafing up!
After last Winter I am very happy to see this Spring arrive. Love that new-green look to all things growing.
I may even be more inclined to look to Summer somewhat favorably, but I will always appreciate the first signs of approaching Autumn as the excitement of a new love, one that never, ever disappoints!
But that is many months away, and I am content for the moment.
Life is good.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Ah Spring!

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:07 pm

We're kind of spring one day, and winter the next. So far my biggest spring present is getting the maggot renters out of our house. Good thing I had a lawn care dude stop by...he's been a HUGE help in putting things back in place. Had a family there yesterday for 2 hours looking at the place to buy it. 2nd time they've been there this week, and they said before they left, "Don't you dare sell it to anyone else!" Pretty sure they will be the new owners by summer. Walked around the small lake in the city park the other day and a lot of fish were eating bugs. Looks like they must have planted a good number of trout here recently. I'd like to chase them, but for the short time I expect to have left here in this state I'm not going to buy a non-resident license. Where to after that? Well, not a hundred percent sure...still have a couple irons in the fire. Things will work out, they always do.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Mean Gene wrote:Where to after that? Well, not a hundred percent sure...still have a couple irons in the fire. Things will work out, they always do.
Go North, young man! :thumbsup:
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:29 pm

We are still getting nice days and crappy days intermingled together up here in the Panhandle.

The flowers we planted above where Sadie and Hoss are laid to rest are blooming like mad. Daffodils (Sadie) and something else my wife would be able to identify flowering out over Hoss.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:42 am

It would appear our house has sold pending loan arrangements. Be "audios California" before long.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby jdinid » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Congratulations, Gene! Being a refugee from the PRK is a great thing. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Indeed!
Good for you!
Email Karen yet?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Assembled 21 Wood Duck nesting boxes today. Not even half of what I've cut out.
Be back in the garage tomorrow, and with any luck should have the balance finished tomorrow.
48 Boxes for our DU banquet on May 6th.
Going on some kind of raffle scheme our chair person has worked out.
Something different for a change, and serves the local Wood Duck population as well...a Twofer.

This brings me close to my original goal of building 200 such boxes for the local area, now at 186, I may well exceed that goal by a nice margin.
The local DU chapters, and many scouting groups have been the foundation of all.
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:25 pm

You sure are a Great asset to your DU , Fs ! I'm sure they are , as well , to you too , by the sounds of the goodies that seem
to come your way ? Do you brand these boxes with a FS along with the DU to identify your local area ? Oh , and with almost
200 boxes cut-out by you , who supplies the material for this Great Feat ? I'm thinking the retirement time spent sawing along
with the comradery at these meetings/Dinners keeps the juices flowing of good will !
I respect your good deeds and I'm envious of your apparel..... :yes: :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Ncbillbuster1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:07 pm

This is one of those springs when I just can't get my brain switched over to bass fishing like normal, the ducks have just clung to my mind like a plague. I have been flocking and buying decs getting new duck calls staying in the skeet and sporting clays range its just getting worse hahah I think I may have to take a trip down to cj strike and catch enough for a big fish fry to try and get the fever to subside haha
Ncbillbuster1
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:17 pm

Ncbillbuster1 wrote:This is one of those springs when I just can't get my brain switched over to bass fishing like normal, the ducks have just clung to my mind like a plague. I have been flocking and buying decs getting new duck calls staying in the skeet and sporting clays range its just getting worse hahah I think I may have to take a trip down to cj strike and catch enough for a big fish fry to try and get the fever to subside haha

Still too cold and flooded out over in my neck of the woods for there to be much of a bite yet. Seems season ended forever ago and I still have an age to wait before I get to chase early geese here in Wyoming. Might have to put together a pigeon hunt sooner than normal to scratch the itch a bit.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:21 am

Now you're talking BG , those barn birds need some attending to as I've been working on them for over 3 months now .
The rains we've had kinda made it more of a chore picking the unfortunate ones up but I needed something to do . Success
has been limited at times because of the wet weather as all I do on days like these is pass-shoot the devils so my personal
limit is to stop shooting when there's 40 on the ground . It doesn't sound like a successful shoot but when I'm dealing with
a foot deep of sloppy cow manure to recover most of these birds , it can change a favorite pastime , into a chore !

Good shoot'n , when you go !

3200 man
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:51 pm

So, the marathon session of new Wood Duck boxes are just finished today. 48 total.
No help presented itself this time, as it would have meant working outside in the driveway and it's been pouring down rain for several days.
That's alright, as it's a labor of love for me, and they are all done very uniformly. They will all be going to our DU banquet Saturday after this coming on a raffle scheme.
Making money for the DU national to preserve Wetlands, and Wood Duck homes here locally.
A win, win.
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jdinid » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Superb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:45 pm

3200 man,
A local lumber yard provides the wood at cost.
I provide time to cut. Staples. Glue.
Different entities, Scouts, DU chapters, private individuals buy the wood.

I will continue to work with any who seek assistance to the end of getting up more boxes as long as I and my tools hold up to the effort.

Maybe, in the end, we can all make a difference. It's been done elsewhere!
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:35 pm

For a pipefitter and coming from a Sheet Metal Mechanic you seem to know more than the famous proverb.... :lol3: :yes:
I salute your efforts.....job well done ! :beer:
3200 man
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting