Rifle Build

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, Tenner, jjohnson_714

Rifle Build

Postby BGipson » Wed May 17, 2017 10:14 pm

The parts keep rolling in. I now have the rifle, Burris XTR Signature rings, Harris bipod, and a quick-detach Pole Cat bipod for sitting/kneeling shots. Now I just need to order the Vortex HST 6-24x50, muzzle brake and some brass. Already have the load mostly worked up (will need to put final tweaks with new brass) and have a 180gr Berger doing a touch over 3,000 fps. Pretty impressive for a 7mm Rem Mag. Danged budget keeps slowing me down.ImageImage
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Rifle Build

Postby Mean Gene » Thu May 18, 2017 7:59 am

Nice. I've got a 7 mag, but not like that. :lol3:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby BGipson » Thu May 18, 2017 8:05 am

Mean Gene wrote:Nice. I've got a 7 mag, but not like that. [emoji38]3:

This has been a gun I've wanted to build since I settled here in Wyoming. Something that lets me have the ability to shoot very accurate and carry energy to longer ranges so I can make clean, ethical shots where I need to.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby jdinid » Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 am

That's going to be a nice setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdinid
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu May 18, 2017 9:01 am

BGipson wrote:

This has been a gun I've wanted to build since I settled here in Wyoming. Something that lets me have the ability to shoot very accurate and carry energy to longer ranges so I can make clean, ethical shots where I need to.

When you get done with yours you can reconfigure mine.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu May 18, 2017 9:33 am

GB I question the 180 gr bullet out of a 7 mag at 3000 fps ?
My son and I have been working on a Rem 7 mag with 168 gr bullets with 5" groups at 600 yds....His goal is 10" at 1000 yds !
He thinks he can out do my 6.5/284 with 139's ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby dasimmon » Thu May 18, 2017 9:51 am

BGipson wrote:

good man
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God
dasimmon
hunter

Postby BGipson » Thu May 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Mean Gene wrote:
BGipson wrote:

Hey my cousin and I are always down to work on rifles. What do you have and what are you wanting to do?
3200 man wrote:GB I question the 180 gr bullet out of a 7 mag at 3000 fps ?
My son and I have been working on a Rem 7 mag with 168 gr bullets with 5" groups at 600 yds....His goal is 10" at 1000 yds !

It has a hefty amount of recoil but we are getting about 3009fps average with H1000 and the Berger 180's. It's also shooting around .5 MOA which is just fine by me also. It is definitely an anomaly of a gun being able to produce those velocities without pressure signs but I'm gonna run with it and not ask too many questions [emoji38] that 6.5x284 is a sweet little cartridge! My cousin runs the .260 Ackley with the 140 Berger around 3100 (if I recall correctly). That's actually the rifle I shot my deer with this past fall at 975 yards.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 pm

BGipson wrote:
Hey my cousin and I are always down to work on rifles. What do you have and what are you wanting to do?

I have a Remington 700. Would like to be able to hit things out to 1000, but need a gun comfortable to go 600 for sure.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby uglymug » Thu May 18, 2017 1:23 pm

BGipson wrote:
Mean Gene wrote:
BGipson wrote:

3200 man wrote:GB I question the 180 gr bullet out of a 7 mag at 3000 fps ?

It has a hefty amount of recoil but we are getting about 3009fps average with H1000 and the Berger 180's. It's also shooting around .5 MOA which is just fine by me also. It is definitely an anomaly of a gun being able to produce those velocities without pressure signs but I'm gonna run with it and not ask too many questions [emoji38] that 6.5x284 is a sweet little cartridge! My cousin runs the .260 Ackley with the 140 Berger around 3100 (if I recall correctly). That's actually the rifle I shot my deer with this past fall at 975 yards.

That bullet weight is where the 7mm really starts to shine. It's amazing you can get those velocities with that bullet weight. Have you noticed much temperature sensitivity with the h1000? Something worked up at 20 degrees could blow primers at 70.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
uglymug
hunter

Postby BGipson » Thu May 18, 2017 1:33 pm

What caliber Gene? 7 mag? Or are you wanting to re-barrel it and start new?

Mug, if the 180 hadn't been something that worked, I would have dropped to the 168 but was glad the 180 was fine. I'll definitely be doing some temp sensitivity checks this summer but from what I've read/seen, it shouldn't be an issue. Wyoming is awful cold most of the time after all. Record high for my town is 97°.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu May 18, 2017 4:33 pm

BGipson wrote:What caliber Gene? 7 mag? Or are you wanting to re-barrel it and start new?

Rem 7 mag. Don't mind rebarreling to make it happen. Right now it's all factory.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby BGipson » Thu May 18, 2017 4:40 pm

No that's a perfectly capable rifle. Just making sure it wasn't a .243 or .25-06 or something that wouldn't carry the energy out to range. We'll bed the rifle as a start, do some load development and see what we get.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri May 19, 2017 7:51 am

GB back a few years ago a friend of mine wanted to shoot 180's out of his Rem 700 7 mag , he had to set the longer bullet back
into the case so far , he lost valuable case volume for the powder he needed to get any reasonable velocity so , he had it
"Long-Throuted" , which worked wonderfully as long as he didn't load more than 1 shell in the magazine . The magazine then
became to short with the 180's seated out for best performance . That would be my question to your buildup ?
Really there's not a better Caliber with SD or BC along with the Velocity the Rem 7 mag can produce and with today's Bullets
offered , they'll kill at any distance , a hunter can hit them at , if it's in a area of where they live ?
Long Yardage shooting takes trigger-time and Optics to be good at ! Besides.....Money :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Fri May 19, 2017 8:19 am

BGipson wrote:No that's a perfectly capable rifle. Just making sure it wasn't a .243 or .25-06 or something that wouldn't carry the energy out to range. We'll bed the rifle as a start, do some load development and see what we get.

I'm good with that. I'll get a scope better suited for longer ranges for the 7 mag and put the existing scope on a new .17 HMR.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby BGipson » Fri May 19, 2017 9:11 am

3200 man wrote:GB back a few years ago a friend of mine wanted to shoot 180's out of his Rem 700 7 mag , he had to set the longer bullet back
into the case so far , he lost valuable case volume for the powder he needed to get any reasonable velocity so , he had it
"Long-Throuted" , which worked wonderfully as long as he didn't load more than 1 shell in the magazine . The magazine then
became to short with the 180's seated out for best performance . That would be my question to your buildup ?
Really there's not a better Caliber with SD or BC along with the Velocity the Rem 7 mag can produce and with today's Bullets
offered , they'll kill at any distance , a hunter can hit them at , if it's in a area of where they live ?
Long Yardage shooting takes trigger-time and Optics to be good at ! Besides.....Money :yes:

I've actually got the 180's seated nearly to the lands and still have room to spare in the magazine. This rifle has excellent mag length. As far as rifles go, when I re-barrel this gun eventually, it'll be a debate what caliber I go with. I wanted a larger caliber "hammer" I could use on anything in North America and not have to worry about it going far while also having the ability to stretch it out to range. .300 and 7mm are 2 great options for those pre-reqs with the 7 having less recoil and needing less powder.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri May 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Yep with the 7 mags case capacity being around 67 grains and the 300 mag around 80 grs there is a difference but not
in killing power only in recoil . The 300 you can go up in bullet weight , which is a big plus , if , you need it for animal size .
For North American game ( other than Brown Bears ) the 7 mag in the hands of someone that can shoot straight , with the
proper bullet weight , is really hard to beat ! Myself , I like my 338 Win with Nosler 210's for Elk and Deer and if I'm only
hunting Deer along with speed Goats my 6.5/284 takes up the slack nicely !
Come to think about it , I like ALL my rifles even my flat Bolts in 22-250 , they have done a nice job on meat whitetails
in the past with 55 gr Noslers with NO meat lost....hehee !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue May 23, 2017 8:52 am

Never been much of a rifleman, but have managed two Dall Sheep, one Caribou, three Moose, and five deer.
Last deer was probably 1991 or 1992. Been all birds since.
All the deer were with a 32 Winchester (First) or the others with a 270 win.
All the exotic stuff with a Win 300 magnum. A gun I would not recommend for Brown Bear. People get eaten by bears they've stung with a 300 Win Mag. But I suppose folk have been eaten carrying far larger calibers as well.
So the words Fall and Autumn are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:53 pm

And here she is. Waiting on brass to arrive in the next day or 2, then final load development and practice, practice, practice til season. Image

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:41 am

That's a nice looking setup BG , best of luck with load development and accuracy as it should do you well .
Long distance shooting starts with having the tools of the trade and as along with the desire , trigger time improves
the performance of both of these . I would suggest you pay as much attention to the building-up of your loads
for accuracy , than trying to max out the velocity . With a good bullet's BC and the proper SD , putting it in the
curly-hairs is far more important . So , don't beat yourself up with recoil thinking high velocity is all that important .

Just a side note , my brother who lives in your state , just received his "once in a lifetime" ether sex Moose tag !
The interesting part is , he lived in Thayne ,Wy before moving northwest of Boise . With the area this tags is good for
being the same area he hunted while living in Wy , he's got a 4 hour plus drive to get there . Hehee
He asked if he could borrow my Win 338 and I said Yes , if I came along too !
3200 man
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:22 am

I'm not worried about top end velocity although I will push it to see if accuracy holds and so far it's been consistent around .5 MOA from 2950 to just over 3000 with SD's in the single digits. I wanted to build this rifle so that I had utter confidence in my equipment and could know it was on me to perform which hasn't been an issue. We send many hundreds of rounds down range every summer at steel, prairie dogs and other random targets in the field so we can keep our wind estimation and shooting fundamentals on point.

We respect our quarry too much to be anything but our best when it comes time to harvest them. I probably won't even get a deer tag in Wyoming this year due to the badly depleted herd from winter kill and the fact my trip to SK overlaps our shortened season. Idaho is another story since I have to make a presence to keep the poachers off our ranch sadly even with VERY obvious posting all around...

I look forward to the tale of your moose escapade. I got to help my cousin with his hunt some 4 or 5 years ago and it was a hoot. If you wind up in my neck of the woods, let me know and we'll have a grillout and/or some beers.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:53 pm

With you getting that kind of velocity and groups , I wouldn't change a thing !
As long as the recoil allows you to stay "into the gun" only trigger time will enable your marksmanship .
I hung around a few Benchrest competition shooters a few years back and the tricks they used while performing were
very interesting . Some were very beneficial as it did tighten up groups for me with my 6.5 x 284 TNT , as much as
indexing did along with chamber setting the bullet .

All this was done way back before you could by a rifle off the shelf , like these days .
My son's 7mm Sendero ,with a trigger job and a recoil compensator , shoots 6" at 600 yds but he's bound and determined
to stretch that to 800 yds with his (Huskemaw ?) scope and "I thought I had the cats meow" in the Leupold Premier on the
6.5 x 284 .
Last edited by 3200 man on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3200 man
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Since I just got my new scope, I haven't been able to make it out yet but these are a few 100 yard groupings from load development with the Leupold 4-12. I like a lot higher magnification scope when trying to get truly precise groups since the crosshairs cover a significant amount even at 100 yards on 12 power. My Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 will allow me to do just that. The recoil is manageable albeit not enjoyable. Once the Hearing Protection Act passes, I will be getting a can to put on which will lower recoil slightly.

On a separate note, if the sun shows tomorrow, I'll have to go do a rough sight in and shoot some prairie dogs with factory ammo.ImageImageImage

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:05 am

Those are some nice groups from a large caliber gun , bracketing would be easier if you plumb your targets ?
It also allows you to adjust the "can't" , as you already know , can't-ing destroys long-range shooting ! A (wind speed )
indicator could give you a better guess at drift when shooting across canons , I guess , but back in my day on the bench
we used a mid-range volumeter that was preset at the midpoint . As some of my old Buddies say , when you can knock
the DOT out of the bottom of a 5 gal bucket at 500 yds.....she's fit for hunting , until then , stay on your side of the
mountain ! Hehee :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting