Went Scouting - Found some birds

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Went Scouting - Found some birds

Postby Bulljon » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:11 pm

Hello, I am a new user...nice site! It is good to know there are some other crazy folks here in ID. I grew up in Eastern WA and always had great waterfowl hunting...been in North Idaho for 8 years and am gearing to start duck hunting again. Went out today (Sandpoint Area) and found a few birds, strategizing a hunt for the next couple of weeks. Anyone ever hunted up here? Any info wold be great! Also looking for a buy on some decoys - how many do I need for River & Lake spreads up north?
Bulljon
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:06 am

I heard a good report on birds up your way. We scouted near CDA and encountered good numbers of ducks but not geese.

Deke requirements are probably a lot like what you encountered in EWA. Some days you put out 5 dozen and some days you put out a dozen. Depends on the size of the hole / spot and the mood the birds are in. If you don't already have widgeon dekes you will need them for this area. Your bag hunting up in Bonner Co. will be mixed between mallards, widgeon, teal and divers. One guy we hunt with mixes widgeons, bluebill, redhead, can, coot and mallard dekes. Sounds like a lot of different types, but we get the birds up there. I personally have 2 dz. mallards, a dozen widgeon and a dozen teal, but I combine my spread with others in the boat if we need bigger. If you are trying to build a good looking spread economically, I recommend Avery Greenhead Gear decoys. You can get them at Sportsman's Warehouse in Spokane. Very good paint designs, but you will need to take care of the dekes or paint will scratch off in the bag. My dekes are in individual slot bags. Black Sheep in Coeur d'Alene also has dekes.

Get yourself some honker floaters and fullbodies. The geese like to stand on riverbanks and gravel bars while their buddies play in the water.

Prepare to be checked on the opener. IDFG wardens are always very present on the first weekend. I have been checked numerous times and every experience has been very positive. Many times the wardens will shoot the breeze and turn you on to areas./spots/access points if you engage them in conversation.

You went out scouting today in the Sandpoint area. Remember that there is no hunting between the Long Bridge and Springy Point on the P.O. River. Not coincidentally, that is where many birds loaf and roost when the shooting starts. The reg books are not yet out on paper but are available on the IDFG website.

Have fun.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Bulljon » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:40 pm

Thanks for the PM. I read your exchange re - Godevils and Mudbuddys with the gent from utah. Very entertaining. I would value some input on the boat conversion...any ideas?
Bulljon
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting