Pyramid State Park

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Pyramid State Park

Postby BRCPres » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:05 pm

Can anyone out there tell me how crowded PSP is on opening day? I hunted it last year mid-season and did okay, but never tried for opening day. Is it worth the attempt, or would it be easier to try to win the PowerBall instead? :tongue:
BRCPres
hunter

Re: Pyramid State Park

Postby bigman15 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Start picking your lucky numbers, after the first week the crowds slow down especialy durring the weekday there is less people for the draw.
bigman15
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Thanks, Bigman. How have you done there in the past? Last time out (last season) we limited out on Gads, Mallards, and Spoonies.
BRCPres
hunter

Postby Yankeegray » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:25 pm

I agree with bigman it will be standing room only the first few days. If you don't git pulled the first few ball tough luck,
Yankeegray
hunter

Postby jknope » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:27 pm

If you are wanting to hunt that area the opening weekend, there is a club just north of the Pyramid area on State Route 154. They do really well and you don't got to fight the crowds or the sky bustin'. http://www.cornfieldcamo.com/ganderhill/ check them out and give them a call. I hate to here of somebody coming as far as you need to just to hunt public ground.
jknope
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks, guys.

Does anyone know how many "walk-in" blinds / pits are available at PSP? i do not have a boat and need to know what my options are. Thanks.
BRCPres
hunter

Postby Yoda » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:21 pm

regarding "walk in" spots at pyramid:
The majority of the spots do not require a boat to access. there are some spots on lakes with boat ramps that it is easier to get to that spot with a boat. therefore, most spots are "walk in"
that being said, be very careful. A lot of these spots are old strip pits and they have steep drop offs very close to the shore. i got myself an otter stealth boat to address that situation. If you don't have a small boat for some of these spots, you might need to figure out some other method of putting out decoys and retrieving decoys and birds (obviously if you have a dog, that takes care of the retrieving birds)
there are what??....45 spots or so out there. I have not hunted or been to every single one, and i'd have to look at a map to give a definite number, but i would bet that less than half are actually effectively wadable.
one more thing to be careful of: Spot 31. very easy to walk to, but that is one serious mudhole. if you don't have a little boat, i wouldn't wade out there without someone spotting you from the shore.
Yoda
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks, Yoda. I hunted PSP for the first time last year, from pit 41 ... it was wadeable at that time. That's good information and a safety reminder about this place being old strip pits. Thanks. :thumbsup:

One last thing -- the maps the DNR puts on the web are virtually worthless as they are not very detailed. Does anyone out there know if there is a better map on the web or somewhere else?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby Yoda » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:02 pm

go to the park office for a detailed map of the stakes. the main office i am talking about is where you get your permit in the main park on pyatt-cutler road, not the office in galum where the drawings are held.
you'll just have to go to the office, or call them up and ask them if they can put one in the mailbox outside of the office for you if you can't make it during office hours.
Yoda
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:44 pm

Has anyone out there been hunting Pyramid lately? An update would be apprciated. :yes:
BRCPres
hunter

Postby beantown » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:23 am

hunted it last week. got a top 10 pick, maybe 8th or 9th. saw about 10 ducks, a blue sky, and some high flying snows. :beer:
beantown
hunter

Postby beantown » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:11 pm

supposedly there was a good flight day a few days ago and a couple birds got shot, but ive hunted the past 2 days and know others who also have......still slow, no birds stopping, few that have made their way this far south have come and gone in 24 hrs
beantown
hunter

Postby RossJ » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:41 pm

:help: Agreed beantown. Been to pyramid this week with the same hopes. birds pulling the same old stunts...it is getting kind of old. i feel like i have been hunting late season birds for the entire first three weeks of the season. I hope these fronts change things.
RossJ
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:36 am

Anyone going to Pyramid for Opening Day? Any reports to share??
BRCPres
hunter

Postby RossJ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:16 pm

the season is still 6 weeks out man...im sure it is chock full of wood ducks and resident geese, that will be pushed out the week before the season.
RossJ
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:35 am

Can anyone give us an update on Pyramid?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby matchbook454 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:49 pm

jknope wrote:If you are wanting to hunt that area the opening weekend, there is a club just north of the Pyramid area on State Route 154. They do really well and you don't got to fight the crowds or the sky bustin'. http://www.cornfieldcamo.com/ganderhill/ check them out and give them a call. I hate to here of somebody coming as far as you need to just to hunt public ground.

You forgot to mention that you own that club and will pack as many hunters in as you can! Sorry, but I hunted here a few years ago and wasn't impressed with the operation at all. Not saying that people don't kill birds or haven't had good huntes here but I've hunted with quite a few other guides and outfitters whom I would rather hunt with.
matchbook454
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:50 am

Anybody out there have a report on PSP?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby SWAMPERfrog » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:33 pm

NO DUCK !!!!!
SWAMPERfrog
hunter

Postby BRCPres » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Can anyone tell me about how much (%) of PSP is iced over?

Is there any open water for dekes?
BRCPres
hunter

Postby ringneck5499e » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Wow, now that is persistence, keepin the same post goin for over a year... about PSP no less :lol:
ringneck5499e
hunter

Postby hunter69 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:10 am

there is a small creek that stays open most of the winter on the extreme southeast corner of the Denmark unit stake 22 go to the n orth side of the pond about 20 yards. I have had great success when other holes are frozen up.
hunter69
hunter

Postby SWAMPERfrog » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:54 am

dude u can not give info like this on open forums ,,, :mad: :fingerhead: :fingerpt: :fingerpt:
SWAMPERfrog
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:44 am

hunter69 wrote:there is a small creek that stays open most of the winter on the extreme southeast corner of the Denmark unit stake 22 go to the n orth side of the pond about 20 yards. I have had great success when other holes are frozen up.

hope you dont plan to hunt there by yourself anymore.... you will have everyone in the county going there now
asmythe32
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:22 pm

hunter69 wrote:there is a small creek that stays open most of the winter on the extreme southeast corner of the Denmark unit stake 22 go to the n orth side of the pond about 20 yards. I have had great success when other holes are frozen up.

Thanks for the tip. :yes: :thumbsup: :grooving:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting