Duck Hunting Forum banner

Pyramid State Park

13K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  ILwaterfowl71 
#1 ·
Can anyone out there tell me how crowded PSP is on opening day? I hunted it last year mid-season and did okay, but never tried for opening day. Is it worth the attempt, or would it be easier to try to win the PowerBall instead? :tongue:

#4 ·
I agree with bigman it will be standing room only the first few days. If you don't git pulled the first few ball tough luck,

#7 ·
regarding "walk in" spots at pyramid:
The majority of the spots do not require a boat to access. there are some spots on lakes with boat ramps that it is easier to get to that spot with a boat. therefore, most spots are "walk in"
that being said, be very careful. A lot of these spots are old strip pits and they have steep drop offs very close to the shore. i got myself an otter stealth boat to address that situation. If you don't have a small boat for some of these spots, you might need to figure out some other method of putting out decoys and retrieving decoys and birds (obviously if you have a dog, that takes care of the retrieving birds)
there are what??....45 spots or so out there. I have not hunted or been to every single one, and i'd have to look at a map to give a definite number, but i would bet that less than half are actually effectively wadable.
one more thing to be careful of: Spot 31. very easy to walk to, but that is one serious mudhole. if you don't have a little boat, i wouldn't wade out there without someone spotting you from the shore.

#8 ·
Thanks, Yoda. I hunted PSP for the first time last year, from pit 41 ... it was wadeable at that time. That's good information and a safety reminder about this place being old strip pits. Thanks. :thumbsup:

One last thing -- the maps the DNR puts on the web are virtually worthless as they are not very detailed. Does anyone out there know if there is a better map on the web or somewhere else?

#9 ·
go to the park office for a detailed map of the stakes. the main office i am talking about is where you get your permit in the main park on pyatt-cutler road, not the office in galum where the drawings are held.
you'll just have to go to the office, or call them up and ask them if they can put one in the mailbox outside of the office for you if you can't make it during office hours.

#13 ·
:help: Agreed beantown. Been to pyramid this week with the same hopes. birds pulling the same old stunts...it is getting kind of old. i feel like i have been hunting late season birds for the entire first three weeks of the season. I hope these fronts change things.

#17 ·
jknope said:
If you are wanting to hunt that area the opening weekend, there is a club just north of the Pyramid area on State Route 154. They do really well and you don't got to fight the crowds or the sky bustin'. http://www.cornfieldcamo.com/ganderhill/ check them out and give them a call. I hate to here of somebody coming as far as you need to just to hunt public ground.
You forgot to mention that you own that club and will pack as many hunters in as you can! Sorry, but I hunted here a few years ago and wasn't impressed with the operation at all. Not saying that people don't kill birds or haven't had good huntes here but I've hunted with quite a few other guides and outfitters whom I would rather hunt with.

#24 ·
hunter69 said:
there is a small creek that stays open most of the winter on the extreme southeast corner of the Denmark unit stake 22 go to the n orth side of the pond about 20 yards. I have had great success when other holes are frozen up.
hope you dont plan to hunt there by yourself anymore.... you will have everyone in the county going there now

#25 ·
hunter69 said:
there is a small creek that stays open most of the winter on the extreme southeast corner of the Denmark unit stake 22 go to the n orth side of the pond about 20 yards. I have had great success when other holes are frozen up.
Thanks for the tip. :yes: :thumbsup: :grooving:

#26 ·
no I moved down by my grandpa's farm in Pulaski county straight across river from Ballard county refuge. pyramid is about 2 hours away now only go up there about twice a year now. by myself last year killed over 60 geese and 80 ducks with 6 dozen decoys. another plus is I get to drive my truck in the field without getting a ticket. by the way make sure you have a 4x4 if you go back there or your gunna get stuck unless they fixed the road

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.