BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS

Postby wtrfwlr » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:34 pm

Did a little bit of scouting this evening, let me tell you we are starting to see some good numbers boys. It's snowing up north as we speak, and they are coming down. I sat on the crab refuge this evening for an hour and watched about 2000 ducks come in with the 2000 already sitting there. Saw a few local geese but my contacts up north said they are just starting to see migrating geese. Opening day should be pretty good.
P.S. Own my way back I saw a HUGE buck cross the road, boys it was one of the biggest i've seen, too bad it was in the refuge.
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby fairgamedq » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:41 pm

I also did some scouting tuesday afternoon at pyramid state park and saw several flocks of mallards fly in to the refuge. According to last weeks aerial surveys there are around seven thousand ducks and fifteen hundred canadians give or take some. Most lakes had groups of ducks sitting on them and ducks were in the air all night. I also scouted carlyle a little bit and say several migratory flocks of ducks come in so I to think it could be a good opening weekend.
fairgamedq
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:32 pm

Great news! I really hope this late start pays off for us southern boys and the way it sounds right now it will. I'm gonna try to get out to Rend this friday and see whats shakin out there. I've got to give the new blind a test run so little problems aren't a big surprise when I do take it out.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby wtrfwlr » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:45 pm

Save your time Chris they are there, i just hope your not in my spot opening morning. But birds are there and they are all over. I've got a lot of buddies down there filling me in on the bird population, just please if you guys are going to hunt be safe and don't let anybody move in on you and if you walk in on somebody else be curtious and move down. Don't get a jerk.
I just went to nodakoutdoors.com and they are all crying that their season is over, and our later start helped extremely we might even get a decent number of geese down this year. It's happening boys and it's happening fast.
wtrfwlr
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting