Opening day Southern Style....let's here the reports

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Opening day Southern Style....let's here the reports

Postby thebiggrfigr » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:05 am

Just got back from the Scatters. There was not much shooting at all. Maybe saw 600 birds. My buddy and I tag teamed a wood duck drake then had to leave because his boy got sick. I think it was excitement and to many rice crispy treats. Talked to my buddy he said that there were a few ducks killed at pyramid but not that many at all....Post up men let's hear it.....I'd like to know that someone got into em. :salude:
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby fairgamedq » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:14 pm

I went to pyramaid and there were quiet afew people there. Even though we didnt get the first spot we want we didnt do to bad in the draw, 10th or so. We had birds around us the whole morning and we killed 2 teal and 3 big ol' mallards :thumbsup: . If it would have been a overcast day without so much sun i think we could have done a little better. There was quiet a bit of shooting earlier prolly busten the roost but all in all im satisfied :tounge: and heading back down there tomorrow morning to see what i can see.
fairgamedq
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:57 pm

Well, I hit Rend this morning. Wasn't about to head north with everyone else so i took my chances out on the main lake near the refuge. Today was one big lesson. Lesson 1) opening morning at Rend in the open hunting area there isn't much competition, especially if you head south instead of north with everyone else. Only three trucks in the parking lot when I got there around 2 am and from what I saw four or five other boats were launched at the ramp I used. Not too bad. Lesson 2) A motor that ran great in warm weather may not run all that great in cold weather. A 30 horse that was running like a 9.9 is pretty frustrating. Lesson 2) Even though you get there plenty early and get your choice spot and have everything set-up just right, doesn't mean some jacka** won't come in later and screw things up. At 4 am everything was set perfectly. At 5:30 an old man, his son and his grandson come walkin in through the woods and decide to set-up no more than 100 yards from me. I walked over and the guy started in with " I don't want any trouble buddy! I'm here to kill ducks and you're here to kill ducks so let's leave it at that." I told him I was concerned about gettin shot (if they were stupid enough to shoot at a duck between us then I have a feeling I would have felt it). To which he replied, "Hey we're well over 200 yards from ya and besides we're only going to shoot at ducks that are close anyway." I played a little football and I know how long 100 yards is and they were that close. But since I had no other option, I went back to my boat and cussed em for hours. (If anyone has a suggestion as to what I could have done, short of starting either a shouting match or a shooting match, I'd love to hear it) They by no means busted ducks off of me and they did shoot more than I did, but this has nothing to do with it. I have never walked in on someone and set-up that close. If someone is where I wanted to be I moved on, it's that simple! Lesson 3) Always check the weather and find out where the wind will be blowing from and how hard it's gonna be blowing. That wind was howlin out of the north and I was facing straight into it with nothing but open lake between it and me. It was brutal! Lesson 4) When you are heading against the wind when it is that rough a 9.9 is about as much as ya want. So for this I was thankful for the motor not running right.
I saw quite a few birds flying around the refuge, but most just flew around and then settled back in. Saw quite a few teal and spoonies and mallards at a distance. Didn't see a single canada, but quite a few snows and a handful of specks. Grand total: No ducks killed and only two shots taken at a goldeneye that decided to swim by. But, like I said, the day was one big lesson and for that I'm thankful for.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:46 pm

2 of us Oakwood bottoms.....3 woodies....didn't hardly see squat!
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby fairgamedq » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:02 am

2 of us hunted pyramaid friday, didnt get the spot we wanted but o well. we killed to gadwalls and had about 30 teal lite on us before shooting hours while i was standing in the decoys. After 7 am we didnt see a duck and there was not a shot fired anywere we left at about 9:30 and so did most the other people. Most those ducks we seen early were prolly from people jumpin them off the big lakes when they were goin in.
fairgamedq
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:11 am

Scatters 2 gw teal....wind was blowin!!!!
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby fairgamedq » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:24 pm

went to fairgame goose club (old gander hill duqoin me and my cousin run it now) brought a buddy and he killed a banded speckle belly for his very first goose ever. Talk about luck. went to carlyle this morning (sunday) We needed to be in the corn they were slaugtering them we got acouple divers but nothing to much. The corn is killen rite now. not a to bad opening weekend i guess.
fairgamedq
hunter

Postby wspiller » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:32 pm

Hunted pyramid friday, drew up about 32nd out of 35 and the most action we seen was 6 swans at about 40 yards that was neat!!! those things are huge!!
wspiller
hunter

not bad

Postby oochopper » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:22 am

hunted oakwood thursday me and buddy killed 4 woodies and 5 mallards

hunted friday 0 no birds got up and moved anywhere

saturday hunted in ziegler got 1gadwall 1 teal 2 mallards

sun was awesome had big groups work all day 3 of us could of been killed out early if we could shoot worth a .... shot gadwall and mallards seen alot of new birds all flew in from north all day long. amazing to see big groups suck down out of ozone. we ended up with 10 birds.
oochopper
hunter

Postby oldhunter1950 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:27 pm

hunted caryle on mon....alot of ducks there reminded me of how it was back in the late 70's,,,now iam telling my age, :thumbsdown:
took today off but going back tomorrow....if the real cold weather will just hold off and not freeze up it should be good from what i've seen :thumbsup:
oldhunter1950
Newb

Postby thebiggrfigr » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:10 pm

hunted scatters mon sat down a group of about 30 or so mallards man that was sweet. A guy can never get use to that. didnt see all that many though. went today miss suicide gadwall came bankn in out of nowhere and worked a couple of pintails. Didnt see squat. We need some BIRDS!
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby oldhunter1950 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:34 pm

if caryle freezes up this weekend get ready down south,,,,havent seen this many ducks in a long time,,,
crooked barrel today :help: ,,,had two drakes down in the corn i never could find
oldhunter1950
Newb

Postby poi96 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:34 pm

What and where are the scatters?
poi96
hunter

union county

Postby oochopper » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:02 am

hunted union county draw thursday killed six birds seen birds all day long.
lots of woodies . them guys called there asses off at woodies .was even funny to see how high woodies were flying. its a joke how high people will shoot at a bird down there. :salude: it would be good if they woul let birds work. I seen a group shoot about 100 yards at 6 birds didnt even pull a feather. pitiful.
oochopper
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:56 pm

the scatters is located just north of wolf lake and just south of grand tower. it is approx right where the big muddy dumps in to the mississippi. really good place to hunt, but, it can be a work-out. must have a canoe! if you are looking on a map it may say La Rue Pine Hills.
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Postby poi96 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:23 pm

Thanks biggrfigr. Ill have to check them out. I hunted Crab this morning. Seen guys get a lot but none for me. Three days skunked at the worst walk in area in So ILL
poi96
hunter

Scatters

Postby DetectDave » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:22 pm

SayBiggrfggr, are the Scatters that stretch of swamp area between 3 and the bluffs and just south of the B Muddy levee? I was cruisin thru there a year ago and thought it looked like a primo area but I thought it was all privately owned.
DetectDave
hunter

Postby thebiggrfigr » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:32 pm

I beleive what you saw was what the land that Shawnee forest just aquired. It is a good spot. scatters are just across the big muddy against the bluffs right before Wolf lake. That is where ive been hunting. Been skunked the last two times but i havent been since Mon. Everything down there is froze. I'll be cruising around the big muddy to see if i see any greenheads flying the river. Hope things get better for me. Hate to not kill ducks when your out in this cold. Good luck all.
thebiggrfigr
hunter

Scatters

Postby DetectDave » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:46 am

That is indeed a fine looking area and I suspect you would need someone wit a little knowldege of the area to do it right. I know the area that you're talking about. There are a few access areas off the road that runs under the bluff aren't there? Seems like I busted quite a bit of ice last time I drove that road where water from the area adjacent to the road was over it. My buds hunting just south of Ware against the levee have been doing pretty good. They've got an iceater keepings things open or they'd be locked up I suspect.
DetectDave
hunter

Postby Spoonie » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:55 am

oochopper,

were you the guys hunting blind 1 last thursday at union that had your decoys without strings or weights?
Spoonie
Newb

Postby grovertheweim » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:28 pm

hunted crab orchard today and killed two spoonies and a meganser. there were a lot of divers flying today, but very few mallards. did see a lot of migrating geese
grovertheweim
Newb

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting